Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you recommend next years LCs' to avoid?

Options
  • 11-06-2008 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I don't know about you,
    but for the majority of this experience
    i've been involuntarily finding any excuse not to study!
    (always postponing it)

it's definately a regret i have and something i'll have to avoid for college!

so i'd recommend for next years lc's not to:
    *'All of a sudden' get addicted to tv programmes
    (im glued to The Hills, Big Bro, Scrubs and more)

*go online to get notes then stay online for hours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Start studying early, that way when the exams creep closer you wont be overcome by how much you have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭luke999

Me and most of my friends made cram plans for subjects the last few days before the exams. Id recommend to make a plan in september or october and learn it then, its easy to learn and you can always add more stuff to it. That wud be very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

Just do your homework, properly and completely all year. Study each chapter as it comes and answer questions on it.

Simple, but its all you need. Quick revision then at the end of the year, and itl all come back

Thats the best advice i got from a 6th year last year. And i only did it for a couple of subjects, funnily enough, these are the subjects im confident of getting an A in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Listen properly in class and do all homework as if it were an exam question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Insanesomeone

MattD wrote: »
    Just do your homework, properly and completely all year. Study each chapter as it comes and answer questions on it.

Simple, but its all you need. Quick revision then at the end of the year, and itl all come back

Thats the best advice i got from a 6th year last year. And i only did it for a couple of subjects, funnily enough, these are the subjects im confident of getting an A in

That's solid advice. I was told something fairly similar by a fella who got six or seven A1s so there must be something to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I find that if you set yourself up well it makes all the difference. If you have all your answers and facts etc. written out neatly it won't take you as long to learn them.

If you write out pages with all the maths formulas, physics, english answers, irish answers/essays, and french questions, then its a lot easier to study them when the pressure comes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

I'd avoid alcohol, doing any grinds or revision courses too early in the year and transition year if its not too late XD

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Trying to predict what comes up in the french exam as opinion pieces. They just don't work !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

If I could give any advice to prospecive LC students, start studying from the beginning. Trust me, studying isn't what anybody wants to do but it has to be done in order to do well. Make out a timetable at the end of August and stick to it. Be realistic with the timetable. Of course have time in your schedule for watching TV, coming on boards, football training, going to the pub or whatever you enjoy doing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Don't leave the work to the last minute. Anything could happen during that last minute and then you'd be screwed with nothing done.

Also with the OP, don't get addicted to video games. (Last night, TF2 instead of French.. though the exam went alright. But still!)

Do your homework, work consistently. That's basically the secret. (Well we'll see come August.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

-Pay attention in class (VERY important, don't fall into the trap of thinking "I don't need to listen, I know all this" or "sure it's all in the book anyway")

-Do all your homework (helps you learn the stuff while you're doing it)

-Work consistently for the whole year or you will regret it when the LC draws close (like me :p)

-Be positive toward school/homework/study (as hard as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

laura* wrote: »
    I don't know about you,
    but for the majority of this experience
    i've been involuntarily finding any excuse not to study!
    (always postponing it)

it's definately a regret i have and something i'll have to avoid for college!

so i'd recommend for next years lc's not to:
    *'All of a sudden' get addicted to tv programmes
    (im glued to The Hills, Big Bro, Scrubs and more)

*go online to get notes then stay online for hours

Everyone does that, weather they admit to it or not.
    It's just about the only way you can deal with the pressure cooker environment of the Leaving Cert.

It makes whatever you watch or do ten times more enjoyable than they would be otherwise, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

teckoda wrote: »
    I'd avoid alcohol, doing any grinds or revision courses too early in the year and transition year if its not too late XD

ALCOHOL...
    serious?

i dout i'd change my 'going out routine' tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Some good advice above, I'll be taking it all on-board minus the alcohol comment (doesn't help I'm 18 in October). Just think about it you's will all be able to laugh at people like me this time next year.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

Prepare for the Mocks like it is your Leaving Cert. i.e study from Sept- Jan
    then you will fly the real thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

nerd3000 wrote: »
    Prepare for the Mocks like it is your Leaving Cert. i.e study from Sept- Jan
    then you will fly the real thing..

in saying that,
    i think i studied more for my mocks then my lc
    and was more stressed too!!!
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

:poh my god i would ABSOLUTELY HATE to be going into 6th year!!!!

theres no way I'm repeating even if i failed the L.c!!!!!

6th year = best year in school, worst year outside school....!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 looly

I'd definitely say keep up the social life, it was the only thing that kept me sane!! just don't overdo it, just go out for the important things, friends 18ths, grad night etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

If sh** happens take it in your stride and get what you want.
    Its only one year so just do your best .

I wouldnt give them any advice.

They can **** off. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

lol....

My advice would be to turn up for classes no matter how much you don't want to, do your homework, and if you do those you won't have too much to study. Ohhh and I learned more in the last 3 weeks of 6th year then i did in all of 6th year. And don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

Don't leave studying until the last minute! Study from September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭magnia

if your school runs a study class in the evening, try and go monday to friday. at least your doing 2 hours every evening then. should give you enough time to do reasonable ok. I used to read my history essays every night before I went to bed and the short answer questions for economics which was 40% of the exam. piece of piss. Got a B1 in honours in both and did pretty average in everything else, which got me a grand total of 365 points which scrapped my ass into DCU.

I did study from September though, which does make it easier. You dont have to do 5 hours a night or anything. I was an average student and did ok on that. The 2 hours after school everyday is what saved me really. I could still go out in the evening and kick a ball about or see a friend.

Having your own study space is vital too. I basically took over a room in my house and that was definately my room for the 9 months. I put the old kitchen table in there and there were notes all over the place. Thats one thing I could have been better at, being organised can really help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Some good advice here, I'll be studying from September definitely as my 5th year summer test results sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Some good advice above, I'll be taking it all on-board minus the alcohol comment (doesn't help I'm 18 in October). Just think about it you's will all be able to laugh at people like me this time next year.:D

I won't laugh. My heart will bleed for you... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tannersxxx

sooooooo true.....wish i had done that!!if all else fails...intellingent CRAMMIMG actually works!!!im just PRAYING for my 480 points at this stage!!!xxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

MattD wrote: »

I agree. To be honest I barely studied at all, but I think I did great (well depends what you see great as but whatever). So far I think I've gotten 3 Bs out of 5 subjects done. 4 of them higher level.

I guess the only mistake I made during the last two years was not really studying hard enough for class tests.

But I always did my written homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

creggy wrote: »
    Some good advice here, I'll be studying from September definitely as my 5th year summer test results sucked.

+1

(had a bit of a scare when i thought my school report came too, it was just a book list :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Just dont worry about it!!!! Well, TRY not to!

When studying, try to condense everything you will probably be able to use, whatevet comes up...

French: general phrases-learning off essays is no good. ALso either cultural context or theme and issue will guranteed to appear.
    English: 1 personal response on 3 poets.
    Home Ec: Learn Social Studies Elective & nutrition
    Geography: Do revision course, you'll need it. The Sahel, it can always be used
    Irish: ord. Start and end of letter and alcol essay.

I swear do this and you will fly thru it. Its all I did and I feel like Im on A's and B's!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Fad wrote: »
    +1

(had a bit of a scare when i thought my school report came too, it was just a book list :))

I was scared when I saw your post count :eek:

Advertisement