Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭balzarywex

Thought 2S1 was grand, bit trickier than last year but should be a banker paper that will hopefully remain a decent average for maths after the disaster that 2S2 will surely be tomorrow. goddam you matrices and vector spaces!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

A cakewalk compared to the horror that awaits me tomorrow with the unholy marriage of organic synthesis and integrating kinetic rates. :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

balzarywex wrote: »
    Thought 2S1 was grand, bit trickier than last year but should be a banker paper that will hopefully remain a decent average for maths after the disaster that 2S2 will surely be tomorrow. goddam you matrices and vector spaces!
    It's a real pity sara mcmurry retired this year. She used to the 2S2 course. I always did well in physics papers with her questions on them. And that paper 2S2 is what got me schols really, you could get out her questions near perfectly if you did enough work. Got more than 20% higher in that paper than any other paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I'm in the Arts Building, surrounded by an almost half-and-half split of eager and depressed would-be Scholars. It reminded me of Wilfred Owen, and this might be a suitable adaptation of one of his poems:

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
    Pro studii mori.

And here I was tip-toeing around the flat so I wouldn't wake you...... :(

Best of luck to all those taking schol exams, you will look back on this time fondly and the experience will stand to you.

• Advertisement

And here I was tip-toeing around the flat so I wouldn't wake you...... :(

Best of luck to all those taking schol exams, you will look back on this time fondly and the experience will stand to you.

Looking back fondly seems too much of an exaggeration-at this stage I'd be happy just to be looking BACK on them...

Pharmaceutical chemistry today was.....interesting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

I found 2S2 fairly awesome today, I have to say. Very nice paper, except 3 part c which I made a decent stab at. Now I have to wait 1.5 weeks until Redmond's mechanics, which should be the Schols equivalent of a cake walk.

My last paper is tomorrow! Hooray!
    When do you all finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Nearly all the law students finish on the 28th...

One more exam :):):):) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

hey just wondering if you do schols are they not on the same time as term tests? therefore do you do both or what happens? would that not be a nightmare have to study a year a half of work on a large scale and then 9 weeks of work on a smaller scale?

also seen as you find out on trinity monday you pretty much have to prepare just the same for the end of year exams, unless your a genius and know you got your exemptions??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Randomness wrote: »
    also seen as you find out on trinity monday you pretty much have to prepare just the same for the end of year exams, unless your a genius and know you got your exemptions??

Most departments put up the lists of who got exemptions earlyish in Trinity term, week 2 or so.

hey just wondering if you do schols are they not on the same time as term tests? therefore do you do both or what happens? would that not be a nightmare have to study a year a half of work on a large scale and then 9 weeks of work on a smaller scale?

Just my 2 euro cents' worth:
    The schols exams...
    They ARE at the same time as the term tests, in fact I had my microbiology final examination sandwiched in between the pharmaceutics and pharmaceutical chemistry schols exams. It was intense! What you do is study more for the micro in the weeks coming up, then switch over to the other ones as the time nears. You can get away with a quick session the night before just to make sure you don't miss anything then. Leastways, that's how I did it- I don't know how effective it'll be!

I do have to prep for the summer exams, but since I put so much work into the schols exams, I'm a lot more prepared for them than I would be otherwise and I know which bits I need to focus on for the finals. Never a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Short answer: it depends. Long answer: usually, if there is both a Schol exam and a term test in a subject you will only sit the Schol exam. If you fail to get exemptions then the schol mark could be taken as your term mark, or the term mark could be excluded from your annual grade. Unfortunately there is no definite answer, individual lecturers can have a big say in what goes on, but some of them are open to suggestion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

Yay! Physics and Maths Schols are done. Bring on a Trinity term full of guilt free frolics! On a side note, 2S5 was a gargantuan paper, ridiculously long, but I got everything out (I think and hope) except the last part of 5! FREEEEEEEEDoooooom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭balzarywex

Free, free, FREEEEE! 2S3 was a completely nosedive but I really dont care anymore...!

Congrats! It would appear we're all done with schols now, yes?
    It's now a case of

crossed_fingers_0.thumbnail.jpg

Nope...exam tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

TPs have their last one tomorrow too. I'm studying with them (stupid graduate course bah!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

Anyone any idea when we're told about exemptions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HoboJesus

So.

This whole 'taking notes and paying attention even thought we might not need to at all' thing is pretty annoying. Anyone know when exemption lists are generally out? I've heard they're out by the second week (in Science at least), any truth to that?

Yes it is apparently impossible to get this off my mind for any length of time. Not good for the ol' mental health =/.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There were out Monday in the second week when I did it (I think), but its not set in stone.

However, on a buzzkilling note, you probably shouldn't completely neglect this terms lectures. You'll need some of what's taught next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HoboJesus

Wouldn't neglect, just get a decent knowledge instead of knowing it inside out. I'm talking slacking off relative to studying for schols here :p

Monday's good to hear though, since that's in two days and all. Even if they're not up then, I'm glad to hear that they can actually come out that early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

HoboJesus wrote: »
    Wouldn't neglect, just get a decent knowledge instead of knowing it inside out. I'm talking slacking off relative to studying for schols here :p

Monday's good to hear though, since that's in two days and all. Even if they're not up then, I'm glad to hear that they can actually come out that early.

Last year most people's results came out this week with regard to exemptions. For BESS it was Wednesday morning along with a load of other courses.

Best of luck to you all. And remember wine is always good. Especially at 3 in the afternoon when everyone else is stuck studying in the library.

Where do you go to check whether exemptions have been given out? Is it online or at the faculty noticeboard usually?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Faculty noticeboard. Don't think the exemptions list goes up online. When exactly they'll put it up is anyone's guess though.

I don't know if I should feel optimistic or pessimistic.

I have bad vibes though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Where do you go to check whether exemptions have been given out? Is it online or at the faculty noticeboard usually?

I think there was an email to say that they were up on the notice board last year but it was sent half a day after the list went up and by then everyone already knew whether they had gotten them or not.

Is your gut usually right in telling you how you did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Not really. A friend of mine was so sure she'd not succeeded, she was in the airport for Trinity Monday.

Advertisement