Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Invincible

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Got my mouse it's a grand job! The Bluetooth part is in the battery cover plate not the part where you pot the battery's

Fair play, its in the cover here too, had been looking in the compartment not the lid beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Allyall wrote: »
    http://openelec.tv - The wetek openELEC build is €53.99 this week for a couple of days.
    Well worth it at that price with their support and forums.
    I have two, they were nothing ground breaking when I bought them (at €109 each), and I'm pretty sure I've complained about them a couple of times on these forums, but now, with what they can do, €54 is a very good price.
    Im not sure how much I'd be willing to pay for shipping.
    I definitely wouldnt pay more than €70 delivered, but that would go for any Android type box.

With all of the help these come with, and updates etc.. I wouldn't look much further, especially at that price.

If there's not a load of hoops to jump through, Ill be buying 2 for Christmas presents.

Allyall,
    I just checked this out for the crack and its from €53.99 when you buy 12 of em!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

According to OpenELEC their discount code will be valid after 26.11.2015 00:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Anyone have one of these or any thoughts/opinions on them
    Zidoo x6 pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Redriddick wrote: »
    Allyall,
    I just checked this out for the crack and its from €53.99 when you buy 12 of em!!!!

:confused:

I know they were originally selling them to resellers for €80, but even that was ridiculous.

But €53 for 12 shouldnt even be marketed as a Black Friday deal. Stupid.
    Sorry about that.

- I just checked the forum where I saw it, the entire thread has been removed :eek: possibly put into archives. It had hundreds of comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

http://www.freetv.ie/amiko-a3.html

I saw these mentioned in another thread, any opinions on them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

What do you think of that air mouse then lads? if the cursor is moving too fast change the pointer speed in settings! set it to half way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Thought this was going be great deal for 53, not many can order 12

:confused:

I know they were originally selling them to resellers for €80, but even that was ridiculous.

But €53 for 12 shouldnt even be marketed as a Black Friday deal. Stupid.
    Sorry about that.

- I just checked the forum where I saw it, the entire thread has been removed :eek: possibly put into archives. It had hundreds of comments.
    ju

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Pocoyo wrote: »
    What do you think of that air mouse then lads? if the cursor is moving too fast change the pointer speed in settings! set it to half way.

Howd I do that? On the box it's self? Ya I like the air mouse very very handy and gotten for very cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,906 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

th283 wrote: »
    http://www.freetv.ie/amiko-a3.html

I saw these mentioned in another thread, any opinions on them?

i know lads running the amiko mini combo. work very well if err emm 'setup' properly!

Yes the cursor is erratic, will change speed and see how it works, thanks!

The power button on the air mouse doesn't do anything, won't turn on an M8S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what's it like for typing?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    what's it like for typing?

Fast to move across keyboard and smooth button presses.

Invincible wrote: »
    Fast to move across keyboard and smooth button presses.

how would you compare it to using a usb mouse for typing?

how would you compare it to using a usb mouse for typing?

More ergonomic, just feels natural, was using the Sony remote before instead of mouse.
    The odd time, the K400 gets used.

• Advertisement

More ergonomic, just feels natural, was using the Sony remote before instead of mouse.
    The odd time, the K400 gets used.

you've a k400 as well! real remote connoisseur :pac:

i use remote that came with my box mostly, it's a bit clicky though, noise from it & then a usb mouse for other android apps. adding a repo though i'd use a keyboard as it's quicker

looking for something that'll do all, would that gyro mouse fit the bill or would one with a keyboard on the back/k400 be better do you think?

you've a k400 as well! real remote connoisseur :pac:

i use remote that came with my box mostly, it's a bit clicky though, noise from it & then a usb mouse for other android apps. adding a repo though i'd use a keyboard as it's quicker

looking for something that'll do all, would that gyro mouse fit the bill or would one with a keyboard on the back/k400 be better do you think?

The remote that came with M8S is a disaster, hard to get working as it's infrared, only used for turning on.
    I'd be happy with this air/gyro mouse, unless you're adding numerous Repo's, then a keyboard would be preferable, but for neatness/space saving and accessibility, this is hard beat!

Yes the cursor is erratic, will change speed and see how it works, thanks!

The power button on the air mouse doesn't do anything, won't turn on an M8S.

The remote is powered by a receiver that in turn is powered by the box hence you cant use it to power off the box.

Glad you like it though 7 euro free delivery was a great buy.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Howd I do that? On the box it's self? Ya I like the air mouse very very handy and gotten for very cheap

Settings/more setting/language & input then scroll down to pointer speed.

Settings/more setting/language & input then scroll down to pointer speed.

When you are doing this lads untick the keyboard options until the only option is android keyboard AOSP with a faint tick that akward silver onscreen keyboard will be changed to a bigger fully english one

• Advertisement

There's a couple of people in the BA thread talking about getting the Wetek for €53 by clubbing together and buying the minimum 12+ if any one is interested.

From post #124 onwards - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057523594&page=9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Thinking of ordering this, I used to run XBMC on my HP Touchpad so a small bit used to the set up.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-M8S-Plus-TV-Box-Amlogic-S812-Quad-Core-Android-4-4-2-4G-5G-Wifi/32402504231.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_6_79_78_77_80%2Csearchweb201644_5%2Csearchweb201560_8&spm=2114.031010208.3.12.UgnHbE

Does it look like a good deal??

I'm mainly after 2GB RAM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Yes, but with custom+handling charges it will be around €70.

Check adverts, you will get it locally for around €65 and they will also do some initial setup for you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭The Mulk

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Yes, but with custom+handling charges it will be around €70.

Check adverts, you will get it locally for around €65 and they will also do some initial setup for you ;)

The Mulk wrote: »
    Thinking of ordering this, I used to run XBMC on my HP Touchpad so a small bit used to the set up.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-M8S-Plus-TV-Box-Amlogic-S812-Quad-Core-Android-4-4-2-4G-5G-Wifi/32402504231.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_6_79_78_77_80%2Csearchweb201644_5%2Csearchweb201560_8&spm=2114.031010208.3.12.UgnHbE

Does it look like a good deal??

I'm mainly after 2GB RAM

I got an M8S off alibaba seller, Wi-Fi very poor on it and crashed since requiring factory reset.
    I've bought a Tronsmart MXIII 2GB/8GB since, much better performance, the upgraded S812 MXIII is available for $64 dollars presently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Guys, I was watching a really interesting documentary about autism on one side random source on Kodi.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of, to even find said source again.

It's there anyway I can search my history on Kodi?

I think if you install "My Watch History" Addon, it will show you everything you've watched, even before you have installed it as long as you haven't cleared out the history.

Trakt.tv also keeps a history of what you have watched. I'm not sure if it shows history before install though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FluffyHamster

I have a basic MXQ box, using it quite a lot to watch films and TV etc but I'm thinking of upgrading and giving this box to my dad.
    Does anyone have suggestions for a decent box I could get for under let's say €70.
    Thanks in advance

I have a basic MXQ box, using it quite a lot to watch films and TV etc but I'm thinking of upgrading and giving this box to my dad.
    Does anyone have suggestions for a decent box I could get for under let's say €70.
    Thanks in advance

This, about 16.5 hours left on sale, have the earlier S805 version, runs great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Hi
    I'm just looking for a plug and play device to watch movies, box sets kids stuff etc. Can anyone tell me if this would do the job? or maybe recommend something else, I'm clueless so it needs to be pre-loaded!! Thanks

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MXQ-Smart-TV-Box--S805-Quad-Core-1GB-8GB-XBMC-Fully-Loaded-WiFi-1080P-H/32350039877.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_7

• Advertisement

Hi
    I'm just looking for a plug and play device to watch movies, box sets kids stuff etc. Can anyone tell me if this would do the job? or maybe recommend something else, I'm clueless so it needs to be pre-loaded!! Thanks

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MXQ-Smart-TV-Box--S805-Quad-Core-1GB-8GB-XBMC-Fully-Loaded-WiFi-1080P-H/32350039877.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_7

It won't be preloaded very well, but yep, that's a decent enough box.
    It will have all the main apps, and have a foundation for Kodi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

It's unlikely that you will get one from China fully loaded.
    It's easy to do, if that's what you are looking for, PM me when it arrives and I can help.

The first box you linked is called an 'MXQ HD18Q' and the 2nd is a copy of the 'MXQ S85' Both boxes are good, and can dual boot on an SD card (remove some of the wear and tear off the box, and give much smoother playback).

I don't know what the leelbox is like, I'd imagine it's okay but most likely has a different board and insides than the MXQ S85. You're much better off going for an original, as the support is already there, and will be better. Also the original can be bought for roughly the same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

It's easy to do, if that's what you are looking for, PM me when it arrives and I can help.

The first box you linked is called an 'MXQ HD80' and the 2nd is a copy of the 'MXQ S85' Both boxes are good, and can dual boot on an SD card (remove some of the wear and tear off the box, and give much smoother playback).

I don't know what the leelbox is like, I'd imagine it's okay but most likely has a different board and insides than the MXQ S85. You're much better off going for an original, as the support is already there, and will be better. Also the original can be bought for roughly the same price.

Now that may of some help to me. Would you have a link to instructions on this dual boot? I have an app that works great on my phone for streaming TV, but the same app on my MXQ gives a much poorer quality stream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

Hi

Have you tried using kodi on another device laptop or tablet
    the worst part of getting a box preloaded is you dont know how it works
    when addons go down or need updating or need maintenance you will be left scratching your head
    if you spend a few hours setting it up yourself and playing around with it it will be a lot easier for you in the future
    If you need help just ask here there is a good bunch of lads here willing to help you
    then you can go for a box with more spec

This, about 16.5 hours left on sale, have the earlier S805 version, runs great.

Thanks I'll check it out 👌.

Do customs charge on every box getting sent over or is it just the luck of the draw if they pick out yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there,

usully once you keep it under 150 euro your all right after that expect customs to hit you with charge.hope i helped.

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Now that may of some help to me. Would you have a link to instructions on this dual boot? I have an app that works great on my phone for streaming TV, but the same app on my MXQ gives a much poorer quality stream

These builds are mainly for the HD18Q (Black), the S85 (Red Stripe), MK808B Plus (Stick) and the TV110 (Glossy with corner cut)

The HD18Q build also works partially for the MXV.

http://s805.eu/releases/

Newest Reeases are 5.95.5.2

SD folder is for SD Card build to dual boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

These builds are mainly for the HD18Q (Black), the S85 (Red Stripe), MK808B Plus (Stick) and the TV110 (Glossy with corner cut)

The HD18Q build also works partially for the MXV.

http://s805.eu/releases/a>

Newest Reeases are 5.95.5.2

SD folder is for SD Card build to dual boot.

Thank I will give this a try. I have not tried openELEC before, but maybe a better option for streaming rather than androids apps. Do you just use KODI and add-ons with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Got one in last week with Kodi set up on it and a load of addons, did a fresh install myself and put a different build on it anyway so was of not much use to me, but they are being supplied 'fully loaded' direct from China.

kodistar wrote: »
    Hi there,

usully once you keep it under 150 euro your all right after that expect customs to hit you with charge.hope i helped.

Ah ok I was wondering cause when I ordered the box I have now which cost 30 something euro customs charged me €15. When I got the box they'd literally just cut a little line in the packaging didn't even bother taking the box out and charged me for it haha I just put it down to me being unlucky that they picked out my box

eamonnq wrote: »
    Got one in last week with Kodi set up on it and a load of addons, did a fresh install myself and put a different build on it anyway so was of not much use to me, but they are being supplied 'fully loaded' direct from China.

Really? Maybe they do now, was it a decent build of Kodi, or was it a crappy build like the one when you scroll down?
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MXQ-Tv-Box-Amlogic-S805-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-4-Kitkat-1GB-RAM-8GB-ROM/32252165874.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.108.3RhFM8&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_10

They're the ones I mean are useless, You'll end up wiping anyway. Better without it.

MoodeRator wrote: »

Thank I will give this a try. I have not tried openELEC before, but maybe a better option for streaming rather than androids apps. Do you just use KODI and add-ons with this?
    Yeah. OpenELEC is pretty much just Kodi.

Way better than Android, but if someone is used to the apps, then you can leave them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Really? Maybe they do now, was it a decent build of Kodi, or was it a crappy build like the one when you scroll down?
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MXQ-Tv-Box-Amlogic-S805-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-4-Kitkat-1GB-RAM-8GB-ROM/32252165874.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.108.3RhFM8&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_10

They're the ones I mean are useless, You'll end up wiping anyway. Better without it.

Yep, pretty much like that, did not spend too long looking at it and put a Christmas build on it (for now!).

• Advertisement

kodistar wrote: »
    Hi there,

That's not right. You can be hit with custom and handling charges for anything over €25.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    That's not right. You can be hit with custom and handling charges for anything over €25.

Yep.
    It's unlikely An Post will hit you if it's less than €30, but they can. And will charge you €7 on top of Duty/Vat.

DHL will hit you as soon as it goes above €23 and charge you €10 on top of Duty/Vat.

It's pot luck with An Post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yeah, it used to slip through quite often couple of years back but lately more often than not you will end up paying custom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

whats the current budget android/kodi box of choice?
    fire stick any use £25 in newry?

• Advertisement
Advertisement