Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's like the Hop House "Double Hopped" nonsense. What does that even mean?

Either two additions, or two hops.

Does Guinness itself use a single hop, or different hops?

I doubt HH has only 2 hop additions either. At least 3 I'd say.

Do you brew yourself, or have any knowledge of the ways of brewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I doubt HH has only 2 hop additions either. At least 3 I'd say.

Do you brew yourself, or have any knowledge of the ways of brewing?

Yeah I brew myself, have done for years, but to say something like "double hopped" means nothing without being specific. Bittering hops?, flavouring hops?, finishing hops?, etc., etc.

At least if they said "Dry hopped" it'd mean something.

All the marketing terms like "cold filtered" or "premium lager" get on my nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

While we're discussing stashing beers, I picked up a backwoods bastard 2015 today and feel like putting it away with the rest, thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

CO2 extract for efficiently would be my guess

"double hopping " sounds like marketing speak for whirlpool and dry hopping

oblivious wrote: »
    CO2 extract for efficiently would be my guess

"double hopping " sounds like marketing speak for whirlpool and dry hopping

Or bittering hops and finishing hops which would be pretty standard for most beers. It'd be like saying, "The new VW with 4 wheels"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just realised I've too many 200F 2015 too.

Going to drink one at Christmas, one to keep in the stash, and then one to do a side by side with 2016.

Quick photo of my imperial stout collection.
    qjjW5ya.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Very nice! I think I still have a KBS and a Bourbon County stashed somewhere with a Narwhal. It will be a black Christmas. :cool:

I'll have to start my annual wish-list for stout/porter in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Funniest thing I only bought that kbs yesterday. I hope we get more of it next year but if I was easy able to pick off the shelf yesterday maybe not :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Funniest thing I only bought that kbs yesterday. I hope we get more of it next year but if I was easy able to pick off the shelf yesterday maybe not :/

Where did you get it? I can't find it anywhere and haven't been able to for months

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Redmonds in Ranelagh and Mace on SCR have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Speaking of barrel-aged brews, anyone pick up the new Glendalough / Five Lamps three-pack yet? Got one for a co-worker as repayment, kinda want to pick up one for myself but not a big fan of either company's products.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

@ sarawatari they are exceptional! Genuinely! I got a gift of a set. Free glass n all. The dark Ipa and the red ale especially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I was wondering about that, don't think I've ever had a barrel aged IPA before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

O Brother Brutus, wicked stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

snowblind wrote: »

Thanks, I'm in Cork I was going on Redmonds website which doesn't seem to show any founders at all.

I'll give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

I saw around 8 bottles of it there the other day, along with all the other founders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

All i have been drinking a lot of rising suns beer since i have moved to cork everywhere and anywhere bar wise seems to have that on draft down here :O. And normally 4 or 5 of the range. There IPA is not bad but thats only one i have tried.

The local for me has wicklow wolf Amber on draft i will say that is fantastic beer all round. 5.40 a pint isn't the worst as considering its like 4 euros for a bottle of it in the off lieance down here :O.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

drinking Dark Arts porter all night last night. Lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Polar vortex on draught in the Brew Dock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Connemara Cascade and Trouble Sabotage tonight methinks. Not had the Cascade before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

jsa112 wrote: »
    I saw around 8 bottles of it there the other day, along with all the other founders

There were 3 bottles left this evening after I paid a visit. I picked up a Backwoods Bastard as well while I was there. Looking forward to that a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Zaph wrote: »
    There were 3 bottles left this evening after I paid a visit. I picked up a Backwoods Bastard as well while I was there. Looking forward to that a lot.

Just finished a bottle of BB, top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

snowblind wrote: »

Is that the Mace at the entrance to St James?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Had a black IPA from eight degrees brewing, fantastic flavour that is slightly bitter but very refreshing, will be picking a few more of these up during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

on draft
    - Trouble Brewing - Black Flag German Lager (Scharzbier)
    Really nice, not a style I've had before (well apart from the Lidl version) but will be looking out for more of this
    - Kinnegar - Crossroads
    Very nice but think the Scraggy Bay is better
    - White Gypsy Sunset Pale Ale
    Nice, kinda sweet,

Bottles..
    - Black Donkey Sycthe Belgian Pale Ale
    Lovely beer. Not sure if me or not, but last few bottles I've had from BD, I've ended up with a lot of froth despite careful pouring.
    - Rochefort 10
    Wow. As expected really nice. Not sure if its nicer than the 8 tho. Need to a side by side test at some stage. Had been the 10 keeping it for a special occasion. On Sat I decided the special occasion was that I had a Rochefort 10 in the house. Also needed to make space for an online order of Belgian beers due next week :-)
    - Sierra Nevada Tumber
    Lovely winter beer, not a winter warmer as doesn't have high abv, but a great beer for this time of year.
    - Uternos Baltic Porter
    Very nice, very drinkable for 6.8%abv.
    - Mountain Man - Hairy Goat
    Love MM's Green Bullet and Sneaky Owl, but wasn't impressed with Hairy Goat when I had it previous, so decided to revisit and glad I did. Really nice beer, not quite up there with the best IPA's around, but not far away.

Also picked up Kevin Dundon's Pale Ale but not tried it yet, gift set of 2 bottle and pint glass for €8.
    Anyone had this ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Anyone had this ?
    Pretty decent, I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Enjoying a lovely, as always, Of foam and fury. Getting the kids tea and my daughter pours the sediment into my glass to top it up, bless her helpful self leaving me a glass of cloud. Still tastes great.

O'Brother - Joe (Coffee Porter)

Really nice beer. Not getting a lot of coffee, although there's a slight dry bitterness that probably comes from the coffee. I am getting a nice hit if chocolate and roasted malts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Sierra Nevada Blindfold Black IPA. Just lovely, my go-to reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Drinking a Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin IPA. What a great beer, very pleasantly surprised. There was only one bottle there and I thought the packaging was interesting so went with it. I'll be seeking out more, that's for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement