Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The innards of my recently serviced Seamaster

http://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/library?action=show_photos&wat_id=848

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Some real retro stuff here,brought this back to life..

And an old Nautica that needs new battery too.. Model A-95002

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm loving the Casio. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm loving the Casio. :)

Been in my press for years did not think it would come to life with new battery but hey it did..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Just got this today courtesy of tz sc.

I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

893bet wrote: »

I like it!

Nice

GEO147 wrote: »
    Nice
    Thanks! Its a quartz though so chances are I will flip it on after a month or two when I get bored!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Thanks! Its a quartz though so chances are I will flip it on after a month or two when I get bored!

nice to have a quartz in the collection, you can just grab it and go and not have to start it up and then adjust the time and date stuff...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Picked up this watch box in a Tourneau outlet in the States last month. Got a 10-piece one for my brother also:

9D2ACE3B-3E02-4FBE-900F-97147072D357.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

nice to have a quartz in the collection, you can just grab it and go and not have to start it up and then adjust the time and date stuff...
    TBH I'm running about half and half battery/handwind*, slightly more mechanicals. The battery lads are mostly quartz, but with a couple of electronic or tuning fork chappies thrown in. Now granted my quartz' are from the stone age of the tech, but that's a period that really revs my engine.

I love innovation in watchmaking, so in the way I love world war 1 wristlets, the early days of the wristwatch, I also love the drive to more accuracy and more technology and how folks approached that. EG I'd sell my left wobbly bit for a 1971 Longines cybernetic ultraquartz(genuine offer if you happen to be in the market for wizened wobbly bits). It's cybernetic FFS. Cybernetic. And when I saw Carltonbrowne's recent way cool find/discovery of an incredibly rare early GP engined quartz I sqweeeeeeed like a Justin Beiber fan. I may have even wet myself a little... :D

*automatics are the work of the devil godammit. >_< New fangled nonsense I say and lazy with it. Haaaaruuumph. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Some real retro stuff here,brought this back to life..

Yes indeed, brings back the memories...it was fun driving people nuts by covertly switching TV channels. Also reminds me of another innovative Casio I had from circa 1987, the JP-100W which took a pulse reading from your index finger. Funny thing is my wife has a cheapo Timex Ironman watch that does a pulse reading from your wrist, cost all of 12 pounds I think :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I like it!

I was admiring those myself today. Nice catch.

I had a Casio with pulse reading when I was in primary school, spent every lunch break for days with a line of people waiting to get their pulse measurements. Every consultation ended with the 'patient' asking if the reading was good, and my response being 'I've no idea'.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

ghostchant wrote: »
    I had a Casio with pulse reading when I was in primary school, spent every lunch break for days with a line of people waiting to get their pulse measurements. Every consultation ended with the 'patient' asking if the reading was good, and my response being 'I've no idea'.

Ooooh, Matron!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Another Steinhart for me - this is the GMT Ocean 1. It may be a blatant Rolex copy; but I don't care - these really are great watches for the money. The purists don't seem to like the 42mm width, but it works for me.

14791556598_b696380e3c_z.jpg

14791473989_df93a5f25f_z.jpg

Eoin wrote: »
    Another Steinhart for me - this is the GMT Ocean 1. It may be a blatant Rolex copy; but I don't care - these really are great watches for the money.

One wonders how rolex dont sue the "£$%$$ of of them!

Whats the retail on that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

One wonders how rolex dont sue the "£$%$$ of of them!

They're hardly competing in the same end of the market; also I'm sure that there are other companies who could point fingers at Rolex for some of their designs not being 100% original!
    Whats the retail on that?

€420 - mine was 2nd hand (in "as new" condition), and I got it about 370.

They're hardly competing in the same end of the market; also I'm sure that there are other companies who could point fingers at Rolex for some of their designs not being 100% original!

Of course not but watch companies can be anal about designs etc e.g. the panerai issue relating to MM homages.

€420 - mine was 2nd hand (in "as new" condition), and I got it about 370.

They are definately excellent value. Alot of watch for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Of course not but watch companies can be anal about designs etc e.g. the panerai issue relating to MM homages.

By and large the only parts of a watch that are protected intellectual property would be the trademarks (company name & logo, brand names etc), so as long as these aren't copied the homages don't infringe anything.

This explains it better than I can - but basically most elements of watch design are functional so would have been protected by patents which have long since lapsed. It is also very difficult for watch makers to prove their designs are original, which would be required to protect them under copyright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Waiting for this to arrive.....
    1080814339navb-vintage-B_47_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Another Steinhart for me - this is the GMT Ocean 1. It may be a blatant Rolex copy; but I don't care - these really are great watches for the money. The purists don't seem to like the 42mm width, but it works for me.

14791556598_b696380e3c_z.jpg

I like the 42mm size. And the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Eoin, is the GMT OCean 1 available with a cermaic bezel?

Think it wasnt when I bought my OB1 which was the only reason I didnt opt for the GMT

Its a super looking watch. I have mine about 2yrs and is practically my daily beater. Great choice..!!

42mm is more or less ideal for me also

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Have re-listed my 2013 Sub due to a time waster: http://www.adverts.ie/sports/rolex-submariner-116610ln/5825840

Have replaced it with this, as seen in Munich traffic.

IMAG2615_zps73895196.jpg

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Eoin, is the GMT OCean 1 available with a cermaic bezel?

Think it wasnt when I bought my OB1 which was the only reason I didnt opt for the GMT

Its a super looking watch. I have mine about 2yrs and is practically my daily beater. Great choice..!!

42mm is more or less ideal for me also

I was talking to a Steinhart distributor in Poland who said that was an option, but I don't know if that was a non-OEM one or not. If it can be done afterwards, I might just go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

IMAG0209_zpsydwk19lz.jpg

New watch just arrived, besides a minor mark on the face just above the 1 its as new, delighted with it :D

(Note to self, order longer NATO strap next time :o)

If you pick well and you have E, IMHO former Soviet bloc watches can be a real bargains.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Waiting for this to arrive.....

*Steinhart Nav B-Uhr pic*

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of this. Really like this line and tempted by the 44mm versions, but my Hamilton Khaki field is 42mm and is just about fitting on my wrist. The lug-length doesn't seem as aggressive on this so 44mm might be doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Had a bit of a mini-windfall recently so I gave myself a few quid to add a couple of modestly priced pieces to the collection.

The first one arrived today.

Mondaine Night Vision Big Date. 41mm case, leather strap with white stitching.

320006.JPG

Night illumination is courtesy of tritium cells.....

320007.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

New arrival, 8120 re-issue, photo doesn't really capture the pattern in centre circle. Cheap, $50 delivered.

http ://imgur.com/jRWzUWH

can't post links - space added after http

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement