Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda pulse

Options
  • 25-03-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

I never new anything like this existed until last night watching Vincent Brown on tv3 when they where chatting about a few travelers children being on it. What I want to know, what is it that gets put in it and what's it all about.

Seeing as them 2 traveler's children where on it, I'm now curious to know would I or any of my family be on it. I'm not a criminal however I do hold a silly record for drunken stupidity and for medicinal cannabis near 10 years ago.

If I am on it, do they have to inform me that I am

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

You can also be on it if you were a witness to a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Is it possible to request all data in the Pulse about you I wonder?

As in a standard privacy request?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd pretty much reckon if you've had contact with the gardai, you're on it...
    I got a phone call a month ago from a garda who'd found my mams handbag( it had been knicked about 2 months previous in a different Garda district)
    Anyhow my mams driving licence was still in it, so he tapped in the address and got my name and mobile number ??? Never had any run ins with gards..so don't know why it was on pulse..but not freaked or anything...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Markcheese wrote: »
    I'd pretty much reckon if you've had contact with the gardai, you're on it...
    I got a phone call a month ago from a garda who'd found my mams handbag( it had been knicked about 2 months previous in a different Garda district)
    Anyhow my mams driving licence was still in it, so he tapped in the address and got my name and mobile number ??? Never had any run ins with gards..so don't know why it was on pulse..but not freaked or anything...

You mightnt be freaked by it but I am about this case with the travelers kids on it. I'd be afraid I'd be on it for something I'm totally innocent off. Does it show all dealings your name has popped up regarding everything. What if someone made an allegation about me, the gards investigated and found I was innocent, would that be on it. I know this is probably paranoia on my behalf but you just can't trust that force now after hearing about these kids on it

Fieldog wrote: »

What do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

newbie2013 wrote: »
    I'm now curious to know would I or any of my family be on it. I'm not a criminal however I do hold a silly record for drunken stupidity and for medicinal cannabis near 10 years ago.

You're on it so. As am I for drinking myself into oblivion and passing out in a carpark back in 2005, a few road traffic accidents over the years, reporting a stolen wallet and phone etc. It is pretty much their entire records and intelligence system. You can request your information from it though there are situations where they have the right to withhold that information (e.g. if it's part of an active investigation).

Don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The paranoia that goes around boards in relation to the Garda Pulse system is staggering.

Any organisation that has about 5 million customers has to have some way of logging contact with them.

live with it and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Zambia wrote: »
    Any organisation that has about 5 million customers has to have some way of logging contact with them.

And recording their phone calls to garda stations, apparently!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/inquiry-set-up-into-taping-of-phone-calls-from-garda-stations-1.1737610

Zambia wrote: »
    The paranoia that goes around boards in relation to the Garda Pulse system is staggering.

live with it and move on

Then why do they have these kids on the pulse. It's not right IMO and shows you just can't trust them

• Advertisement

You're on it so. As am I for drinking myself into oblivion and passing out in a carpark back in 2005, a few road traffic accidents over the years, reporting a stolen wallet and phone etc. It is pretty much their entire records and intelligence system. You can request your information from it though there are situations where they have the right to withhold that information (e.g. if it's part of an active investigation).

Don't worry about it.

Would they not have to let you know thou that your under investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Would they not have to let you know thou that your under investigation.

Why would they have to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I never new anything like this existed until last night watching Vincent Brown on tv3 when they where chatting about a few travelers children being on it. What I want to know, what is it that gets put in it and what's it all about.

Seeing as them 2 traveler's children where on it, I'm now curious to know would I or any of my family be on it. I'm not a criminal however I do hold a silly record for drunken stupidity and for medicinal cannabis near 10 years ago.

perhaps you could tell those of us who missed the show why these children were on pulse?

Beano wrote: »
    Why would they have to do that?

Sorry I worded it wrong, I meant if you asked them for all information on the pulse including any investigation that might be on going, do they legally have to tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fieldog wrote: »

There is only a certain amount of information you are entitled to. See the links above.
    What if someone made an allegation about me, the gards investigated and found I was innocent, would that be on it.
    Yes, including the exonerating evidence. Note that the DPP courts.
    I meant if you asked them for all information on the pulse including any investigation that might be on going, do they legally have to tell you?
    No.

If someone was a reputed bank robber, would you have it such that they could access their data? Any police force won't tip off suspects that they are suspects.

If you ask for your data, you won't be given anything relating to unfinalised investigations.

Beano wrote: »
    perhaps you could tell those of us who missed the show why these children were on pulse?

You see that's the thing, they ain't saying. VB read out all the reasons why anyone would be in the pulse and these kids don't fall into any category. I'm talking about 1 and 2 year old kids here.

Victor wrote: »
    There is a certain amount of information you are entitled to.No. If someone was a reputed bank robber, would you have it such that they could access their data?

What do you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

What do you mean

It means that if you're a bank robber, and the guards have information that leads them to believe that you are a bank robber, it makes no sense that you might be able to ask them whether they think you are a bank robber, thereby tipping you off and allowing you to flee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 eddie_hitler

pulse is to members of AGS what ok magazine is to middle class women

a source of gossip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

You see that's the thing, they ain't saying. VB read out all the reasons why anyone would be in the pulse and these kids don't fall into any category. I'm talking about 1 and 2 year old kids here.

Were they by any chance removed from their parents at any stage? Were they injured parties in a crime?

It's not just offenders who are on pulse, ANYBODY who is party to an investigation is on it. Whether they be witnesses, injured parties or suspected offenders. if they were involved in any way with a reported crime they will be on pulse.

• Advertisement

anyone at all who has dealings with the Gardai as an injured party,witness, offender or someone merely reporting something they wish to be on file, will be on PULSE. its not a big deal.

me, and all my family are definately on it, and not because any of us did anything wrong (apart from a speeding ticket!!) (not cancelled either!)

its not just for people who did anything wrong.

there could be any number of reasons that children are recorded on it, maybe there was a domestic incident in their home, do you not think that would be an important thing to know for child protection issues?
    maybe they were a victim of some crime?

people must realise too that minors do commit crime or can be USED in crimes.

bubblypop wrote: »
    anyone at all who has dealings with the Gardai as an injured party,witness, offender or someone merely reporting something they wish to be on file, will be on PULSE. its not a big deal.

me, and all my family are definately on it, and not because any of us did anything wrong (apart from a speeding ticket!!) (not cancelled either!)

its not just for people who did anything wrong.

there could be any number of reasons that children are recorded on it, maybe there was a domestic incident in their home, do you not think that would be an important thing to know for child protection issues?
    maybe they were a victim of some crime?

people must realise too that minors do commit crime or can be USED in crimes.

I've yet to hear of a 1 yr old commit a crime lol

I'm sorry, did you only read one line of my post?
    Perhaps they were present in a domestic incident.

Maybe the were passengers in a vehicle in a traffic accident.

Everybody who interacts with gardai is on pulse.
    Its not a bad thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I think pulse is probably a good thing , but the reason its in the news seems to because of information been downloaded from it and this info been passed on to politicians .

This has to be wrong .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

They can be victims

• Registered Users Posts: 39 solarflare

pulse as a garda tool is a positive thing.problems occur when this tool is used for political or personal gain.access must be audited and accountability for mis use dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

This very issue was also raised by the Garda whistleblowers over two years ago!

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/10/25/early-profiling/

"Mr Wilson says that gardaí were encouraged to do this by senior gardaí.

Mr Wilson says that gardaí are in the practice of stopping and searching young people in certain, “working-class areas”, under the Misuse of Drugs Act and that gardaí would put these youths’ names on PULSE and record them as having been searched for drugs.

Mr Wilson alleges that this uploading of names to PULSE would take place even if, during the course of a search, nothing untoward was found."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

"Mr Wilson says that gardaí were encouraged to do this by senior gardaí.

Mr Wilson says that gardaí are in the practice of stopping and searching young people in certain, “working-class areas”, under the Misuse of Drugs Act and that gardaí would put these youths’ names on PULSE and record them as having been searched for drugs.

Mr Wilson alleges that this uploading of names to PULSE would take place even if, during the course of a search, nothing untoward was found."

I can quite believe it. I know that it was the policy of the Stasi (sorry police) in Scotland during the mid 90's to stop and get the details of as many kids as possible.

I will never forget the first time I was stopped. The copper was radioing in as many of my details as possible despite me having done nothing wrong.

However being on a police system has benefits..

My Auntie (born and bred in Scotland) had a RTA recently. Now at 59 years old, she had never in her life committed, been a victim or witnessed a crime so was not on the PNC in the UK..

The result? They arrested her till they could "verify her identity". Her driving licence, an electoral roll check and ID card from work (she works with the MOD) were not enough for them apparently.

I have no problems with the Garda but I hope they are not going down the same road that has turned the UK into a police state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

solarflare wrote: »
    pulse as a garda tool is a positive thing.problems occur when this tool is used for political or personal gain.access must be audited and accountability for mis use dealt with.

While the theory says that I think we have all discovered in recent months the reality does not measure up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

There are medical treatments that can be helpful to people who suffer from paranoia or hallucinations.

Edit @ PHV: error of timing, my post does not refer to your's.

Advertisement