Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cardiff City could go from Blue to Red

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As of the Swansea fans are not in dream land already after Sunday and now this.

Have few friends who are Swans fans and they are loving this Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The FA should be stopping this type of nonsense. Something like a rule requiring a fan vote to be passed for any change of home colours or club name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

This whole situation is quite strange really.

You'd wonder how much the casual asian supporeters actually care about the colour red and the dragon etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This whole situation is quite strange really.

You'd wonder how much the casual asian supporeters actually care about the colour red and the dragon etc.

168798554_7d656ef7cf.jpg

tumblr_lubu705xod1qclj8lo1_500.png

I know it's really different to the casual fan but the 'Be The Reds' campaign at World Cup 2002 is one of my favourite visual sights in football ever.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Being top of the championship at the moment, I doubt if they care all that much. As for this whole rubbish about changing name and colours, lots of teams have changed their names and colours since their formation for example Newton Heath (Manchester United), Everton Athletic (Liverpool), Ardwick AFC (Manchester City) etc. so it is hardly a new thing.

I can see why a lot of fans don't like changes as I wouldn't like to see United's name changed to Manchester Red Devils or the like, but the whole outrage over tradition seems a bit funny to me given the fact that it has had name changes before.

cournioni wrote: »
    Being top of the championship at the moment, I doubt if they care all that much. As for this whole rubbish about changing name and colours, lots of teams have changed their names and colours since their formation for example Newton Heath (Manchester United), Everton Athletic (Liverpool), Ardwick AFC (Manchester City) etc. so it is hardly a new thing.

I can see why a lot of fans don't like changes as I wouldn't like to see United's name changed to Manchester Red Devils or the like, but the whole outrage over tradition seems a bit funny to me given the fact that it has had name changes before.

I think you fail to see that by changing the name of the team could lead them to becoming a Fanchise then a Club.

I think you fail to see that by changing the name of the team could lead them to becoming a Fanchise then a Club.
    Like it or not, most professional clubs are businesses regardless of the clubs name.

Like it or not, most professional clubs are businesses regardless of the clubs name.

True, but many still want to keep tradition.

True, but many still want to keep tradition.
    I see where you're coming from, but by the same score did clubs in the late 1800's and early 1900's not ditch their traditional colours and names for their current names and colours?

What is the difference between Cardiff City changing their name from Riverside AFC to Cardiff City FC in 1905 and changing from Cardiff City FC to Cardiff Dragons now other than the cheesy name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

But you're just using the word 'franchise' because it has negative connotations. Changing the name doesn't give Cardiff City/Dragons/Whatever any of the hallmarks of being a franchise other than that they have a novelty second name as do American sporting franchises. English County Cricket clubs have also moved towards novelty second names and they're some of the most historic sporting entities in the World.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What is the difference between Cardiff City changing their name from Riverside AFC to Cardiff City FC in 1905 and changing from Cardiff City FC to Cardiff Dragons now other than the cheesy name?

Well they'd 6 years history as Riverside AFC as opposed to the current 108 years as Cardiff City FC.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Well they'd 6 years history as Riverside AFC as opposed to the current 108 years as Cardiff City FC.
    I agree, but if say they changed their name to Cardiff Dragons tomorrow and 500 years down the line they change it to something else, would it be any different?

I like clubs names and colours as they are, but this "tradition" argument is daft in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Beefy78 wrote: »
    But you're just using the word 'franchise' because it has negative connotations. Changing the name doesn't give Cardiff City/Dragons/Whatever any of the hallmarks of being a franchise other than that they have a novelty second name as do American sporting franchises. English County Cricket clubs have also moved towards novelty second names and they're some of the most historic sporting entities in the World.

My thoughts exactly

The posters (The_Kew_Tour) assertion that he is trying to turn them into a 'Franchise' makes no sense.

A franchise cannot exist in isolation, a franchise has to be part of a organisation with other franchises in it.

You are just trying to stir the pot The_Kew_Tour.

My thoughts exactly

The posters (The_Kew_Tour) assertion that he is trying to turn them into a 'Franchise' makes no sense.

A franchise cannot exist in isolation, a franchise has to be part of a organisation with other franchises in it.

Stir what pot??

What a stupid little comment.

Beefy78 wrote: »

I'm not lol.

Go into the Cardiff forum and they agree.

I feel sorry for them at minute,

Stir what pot??

What a stupid little comment.

It was said jokingly by the way

Any how you are choosing to use the term franchise when it'd obviously not even close to what a franchise is.

As the other poster said you are 'using the word 'franchise' because it has negative connotations', and thus starting a whole 'good old days' v '$ky, prawn sandwich' debate, whether it was your intention or not.

No one can turn Cardiff City or any other club into a 'franchise' on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Any how you are choosing to use the term franchise when it'd obviously not even close to what a franchise is.

As the other poster said you are 'using the word 'franchise' because it has negative connotations', and thus starting a whole 'good old days' v '$ky, prawn sandwich' debate, whether it was your intention or not.

What exactly is wrong with him starting that debate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Being top of the championship at the moment, I doubt if they care all that much.

If even a quarter of their fans feel this way then that is very, very sad.

I just want point out I'm on the Cardiff fan side for this.

I would not like to happen to any club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Its his club, he can do what he wants with it. Football fans have some mad sense of entitlement over the football clubs they follow.

Its his club, he can do what he wants with it. Football fans have some mad sense of entitlement over the football clubs they follow.
    Well Cardiff could exist without him, but not without the matchgoing fans. I think there are only a small few of the sugardaddy types, who could afford to maintain a Premiership/top Championship club on their personal funds alone.

If you go down the 'a football club is a business' route, then it has to operate as a business, ie. providing a product that the target customers actually want.

CSF wrote: »
    Well Cardiff could exist without him, but not without the matchgoing fans. I think there are only a small few of the sugardaddy types, who could afford to maintain a Premiership/top Championship club on their personal funds alone.

If you go down the 'a football club is a business' route, then it has to operate as a business, ie. providing a product that the target customers actually want.

The target customers in this case are those in Asia. I also doubt if there is a name change that any more than 10% of the current fan base would stop supporting Cardiff over it. That is the way that the owners will see it.

The target customers in this case are those in Asia. I also doubt if there is a name change that any more than 10% of the current fan base would stop supporting Cardiff over it. That is the way that the owners will see it.
    And it's such arrogant business notions that **** up tonnes of potentially viable businesses.

Creating a product that your loyal customer base will like less, to try reach out to a market who already have hundreds of superior comparable products available to them worldwide, makes very little business sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You one of those no calcio moderno lads?

i dont think the collective identity and visions of a football club can be summed up by one mans ideas. Football should and always should be about community. The people who support any given team are mostly from a community. In these neck of the woods its all about consistency and routine so i dont blame Cardiff fans for going spare.

Funny thing is the kit itself is not bad. Just the principal applied. Yes he owns the club but his support , his 'customers' are the people of Cardiff City. If they feck off, its just one man there with his club making no money. That said 'New Cardiff City' will probably be a PL club soon and people will undoubtedly jump back on the bandwagon. I only hope they go back in blue but thats only because im the type who gets homesick when too long abroad and who is a man of tradition not that its the law or anything

• Advertisement

And it's such arrogant business notions that **** up tonnes of potentially viable businesses.

Creating a product that your loyal customer base will like less, to try reach out to a market who already have hundreds of superior comparable products available to them worldwide, makes very little business sense to me.

its like the erosion of a cliff. little by little it breaks away until one day there is nothing left. are these new asian 'fans' here for as long a haul as the disillusioned Cardiff fans that can no longer identify with their club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

My thoughts exactly

By you saying out his username I now finally get what it means, yonks later! I feel very stupid

dreamers75 wrote: »

You one of those no calcio moderno lads?
    I don't put my opinions into any particular bracket, I try to judge everything on its own merits, so no I wouldn't say that.

For me this is spot on and why I feel for Cardiff fans.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    By you saying out his username I now finally get what it means, yonks later! I feel very stupid

Wow, it;s only dawned on me now too, when you bring it to my attention

I just thought the user was a fan of The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Ireland dont play in their traditional gear either. And the FAI recently wiped away full caps from guys who brought us fame on foreign fields. This was done without much protest except among the odd LOI fan. It was a disgrace really.

A much more pressing matter than a minor foreign club.

You are making a assumption here, i.e. that most Cardiff fans prefer drudgery in the Championship or lower than the possibility of playing at a higher level.

Two years ago people reckoned Cardiff were f**ked after they once again failed to get promoted, people thought they would have to sell players and eventually drop down the table.
    But then this guy came in, has invested and promised more investment, not only in the first team but also in the youth setup.
    They are top of the league
    In return he has changed the shirt colour and is suggesting a change to the name
    He has not suggested they move location, ditch the name completely or buy players from Malaysia
    I'd imagine that most Cardiff fans would take that if it meant playing football at a higher level.

What do you think Chelsea fans think of the last 10 years, would they have preferred financial ruin or the trophies they have won ?

You are making a assumption here, i.e. that most Cardiff fans prefer drudgery in the Championship or lower than the possibility of playing at a higher level.

Two years ago people reckoned Cardiff were f**ked after they once again failed to get promoted, people thought they would have to sell players and eventually drop down the table.
    But then this guy came in, has invested and promised more investment, not only in the first team but also in the youth setup.
    They are top of the league
    In return he has changed the shirt colour and is suggesting a change to the name
    He has not suggested they move location, ditch the name completely or buy players from Malaysia
    I'd imagine that most Cardiff fans would take that if it meant playing football at a higher level.

What do you think Chelsea fans think of the last 10 years, would they have preferred financial ruin or the trophies they have won ?

You are clearly the one making the assumption.

The Chelsea situation is completely different for obvious reasons.

Pro. F wrote: »

Obviously the name our the colour of the shirt has not changed in Chelsea, but do you really think Cardiff fans would give a toss if it meant investment in their club ?

I'm sure there are thousands of fans who went to games this year work blue shirts and are still enjoying being top by 8 with a game in hand

The assumption I am making is that people are a bit more pragmatic than some people like to think

For those that think that supporting a team is all about history, tradition and the past then you are wrong, life goes on, things change and not all change is bad

Obviously the name our the colour of the shirt has not changed in Chelsea, but do you really think Cardiff fans would give a toss if it meant investment in their club ?

I'm sure there are thousands of fans who went to games this year work blue shirts and are still enjoying being top by 8 with a game in hand

Actually the color has changed in Chelsea they used to play in Eton blue and white.

Interesting article on which managers have changed their clubs colours

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/29/knowledge-managers-changed-club-colours

For the record I am against changing teams names or colours except for exceptional purposes like a merger or if a club is just a year or two old and needs to establish itself.

The assumption I am making is that people are a bit more pragmatic than some people like to think

For those that think that supporting a team is all about history, tradition and the past then you are wrong, life goes on, things change and not all change is bad

You are assuming that the Cardiff fans make the same subjective conclusions about the balance of what's important in football as you do. As I said, you are clearly making assumptions.

And if on balance the Cardiff fans choose to accept it, I'm sure they are still unhappy to lose their colours and their name. And that is a bad thing. The FA could sort this very quickly by simply requiring a fan vote on name and home colour changes.

Actually the color has changed in Chelsea they used to play in Eton blue and white.

Interesting article on which managers have changed their clubs colours

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/29/knowledge-managers-changed-club-colours

For the record I am against changing teams names or colours except for exceptional purposes like a merger or if a club is just a year or two old and needs to establish itself.

I knew Chelsea reversed the blue socks and white shorts but I didn't know about a colour change (I haven't a notion what Eton Blue is). But in comparison to the Cardiff sugar daddy changing the colour and name, nothing like that happened under Abramovich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I haven't a notion what Eton Blue is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eton_blue
    Eton blue is a bluish-green colour used since early 19th century by sportsmen of Eton College

Thanks. I was on my phone and didn't care ;)

• Advertisement

Click and WOW EYE STRAIN!!!

Great to see Cardiff promoted

Look like most of the fans could not give a S**t about the colour of the shirt, and dead right too.

Be some craic in the Swansea/Cardiff matches now. They seriously despise each other.

Look like most of the fans could not give a S**t about the colour of the shirt, and dead right too.

What are you basing that on?

What are you basing that on?

Oh I don't know, maybe this ?

Cardiff-City-fans-invade--008.jpg
    Cardiff City fans invade the pitch as they celebrate their team's promotion to the Premier League at the end of the goalless draw against Charlton. Photograph: Michael Steele/Getty Images

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/17/cardiff-celebrate-promotion-premier-league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Cardiff City fans invade the pitch as they celebrate their team's promotion to the Premier League at the end of the goalless draw against Charlton. Photograph: Michael Steele/Getty Images

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/17/cardiff-celebrate-promotion-premier-league

Unforunate picture to support your point given the small boy is wearing a blue Cardiff shirt :rolleyes:

Otherwise i agree with ya!! I think the reason the Cardiff shirt change had such a fuss over it was due to their nickname - Bluebirds. If their nickname was the Thunderbirds and they had no heritage of Blue, then i'm sure nobody would have cared if they want to wear a Pink and Yellow striped shirt with polkadots on it.

Unforunate picture to support your point given the small boy is wearing a blue Cardiff shirt :rolleyes:

Otherwise i agree with ya!! I think the reason the Cardiff shirt change had such a fuss over it was due to their nickname - Bluebirds. If their nickname was the Thunderbirds and they had no heritage of Blue, then i'm sure nobody would have cared if they want to wear a Pink and Yellow striped shirt with polkadots on it.

I'm not doubting that many fans still wear blue shirts, but the mass outrage about the wanton obliteration of history by the evil fat cats from the east is missing if the team is winning.

I'm not doubting that many fans still wear blue shirts, but the mass outrage about the wanton obliteration of history by the evil fat cats from the east is missing if the team is winning.

It's possible for people to be happy about one thing and unhappy about another. The fact that they are happy about promotion doesn't prove that they don't care about the colour change.

Your argument is painfully simplistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

It's possible for people to be happy about one thing and unhappy about another. The fact that they are happy about promotion doesn't prove that they don't care about the colour change.

Your argument is painfully simplistic.

waste of a 6,000th post :P Shoulda gone for a meaning of life type post lol :)

I think his point is valid though, in the sense when the team is winning it becomes a non-issue among fans. People obviously still care about it but it gets lost into obscurity. Whereas if they were in the relegation places, fans would hate the regime in charge and the shirt issue would be top of the agenda.

• Advertisement

Where are you making this assumption from? Because they're happy about getting promoted?

Advertisement