Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec Alarm - Error 61 - Battery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

I see elsewhere this 5 Ab relates to the bell box. When I removed the battery the bell box sounded for some time and then went off after the battery ran flat.

Iv checked the connections at the terminals for the sounders and they are fine. Is my bell box fecked i wonder? The strobe is flashing away so the battery is still working in it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Does the strobe continue to flash if you disconnect the external bell from the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

KoolKid wrote: »
    Does the strobe continue to flash if you disconnect the external bell from the panel?
    I never disconnected the external bell from the panel at all. However it was left without ant feed for some time while the battery loop was removed and mains off and it flashed away.

Anyway... The problem is sorted. Iv no idea what exactly solved it. While i was waiting for replies here I took the bell box down just to give it a clean and check the connections. When I put it all back together the fault had cleared. Back up and running but what an ordeal a simple job like that turned out.

Thanks for your assistance KoolKid much appreciated. Also the replies in this thread served most helpful. Thanks everyone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Glad you got sorted. Any problems you know where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭WATPOAE

Hi all,

Very quick question. Have an Astec alarm in my apartment. I had it serviced at end of Dec when I moved in and all ok.

This evening there is a 'Battery' display flashing on the control panel. I presume I just need to have an engineer install a new battery? I know parts for Astec systems are hard to come by, would this affect getting a new battery for it?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

The battery for an Astec is easy enough to source from any of the suppliers in the sticky. It must be the exact same as space is tight in the Astec panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭WATPOAE

Thanks.

Your welcome. Be careful when removing the PCB to replace the battery. Best to power the panel down completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 samuel123

Ihave error 61 battery on my 63D ASTEC ALARM.could any one tell me if they know of a good/reliable engineer,in the Arklow/wicklow
    area, i also need a manuel,can any one help .thanks

I've Pmed you the Manual.
    Have a look at the suppliers/installers sticky.
    There is installers there local to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 samuel123

thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭lilylarkin

I have a 63d astec alarm system and 1 5AB fault is showing up on my keypad. A guy called today and advised the following:-
    1. Astec are gone so theres no way to service this system anymore
    2. Says i need a whole new alarm systems as all sensors and hardware are not compatible with any other alarm hardware.
    3. Said it will cost about €1800.

Is this true? ive only been in the house 5 years, builder is gone bust and everyone i ring says astec are gone out of business. I have no manual.

Is it true that the sensors wouldnt be compatible with any other systems?

Help!!:eek:

The only bit that's true is that Astec are no more.
    These systems can be still serviced and repaired but if there is a problem with the bell or the keypad they can not be sourced.
    The SAB could be a battery or any number of other faults.
    As for €1800 for a new system???
    Unless you have a huge house this quote is way over the top.
    Get someone who knows what they are on about to take a look.
    Even if the external bell is the fault the rest of the can be got to work with out it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Get a second opinion. HKC still supply certain parts. Your bell fault maybe just a wiring fault. I had a similar problem. Change the internal battery and lift of SAB. Sometimes a simple procedure like this can reset the SAB and clear the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭altor

Too many installers just looking to cash in on peoples problems with Astec systems. I am sick of one company in particular who is disconnecting zones telling the people sensors cant be got so they need to upgrade the whole system. Saying something to do with the base of the sensor.
    Load of crap.
    Any global sensor can be added to these systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Thanks for the info in this thread. I managed to change the battery without electrocuting myself.

If anyone has the manual handy, I'd appreciate if they could send it on for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scurly

If altor or KoolKid are still reading this thread can one of you send me the engineering manual for an Astec 63DV. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Chrismvideo

Hi Altor / Koolkid

I replaced the battery in my Astec 63 Alarm today and all is running as it should now. Only thing is the fault light is still on the panel and it says Code 77 Call Engineer? Could you help me to remove this error?

Thanks
    Chris

77 Call engineer is just a service interval. You will need the engineer code to clear this. The alarm should work fine either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Chrismvideo

Hi Koolkid..

Thanks for the response.. I don't have the engineer code and the company that installed the alarm are no longer in business. They were called Armtec Alarms Ltd but all phone numbers and email address i have for them are no use. Is there a universal code as 1174 won't work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

AFAIK there is a default code that must be changed by the engineer. 9 out of 10 cases its still at the default. If you look over the thread I think one of the guys mentions the code.

I PMed you the manual. That has the default codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lauraq

Hi can anyone help. Our Astec 65 alarm said error 61 call engineer, battery so we followed the instructions on here and replaced the battery. Worked fine for about 5 hours but then battery came up on the display again and then this morning it's now saying error 61 call engineer fault battery again. Any suggestions?

Is the battery link on correctly?
    Try power the unit down and power back up on the battery first to see if it powers on OK?
    Also is the mains fuse OK. Is the orange neon spur lit on the main panel?

Try power the unit down and power back up on the battery first to see if it powers on OK?

Thanks for the reply, will check suggested and see if we have any success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Its probably the SAB. Batteries are gone it that also. That can cause the call engineer 61.

Koolkid thanks so much that seems to have worked, obviously we didn't connect it correctly first time as trying to do it quickly to stop the alarm ringing outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

bbability wrote: »
    Its probably the SAB. Batteries are gone it that also. That can cause the call engineer 61.

No. If there's an issue with the bells battery it can bring down the bells but not show a panel battery fault. (61)

If the sab battery is bringing the bell down if will show call engineer 22 SAB fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 dppmurray

Hi can someone pm me with the engineer manual for the astec alarm please?

I have a sab bell fault. I have entered engineer mode and now I can't get out. When I enter 99 the panel just displays the fault.

Advertisement