Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I feel gloomy after squatting

• 17-07-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I've noticed over the last couple of years that for days after I squat I feel a bit down and not really interested in anything.

This has happened quite a bit, I have been monitoring it over a good while.
    I had stopped squatting, mainly as I was hurting myself doing it wrong, but I got some tuition now and started back at it. But soon as I did I've noticed a dip in humor and my being lethargic.

I don't know if it's just the DOM's or what because I get them all over and it never effects me.
    I've also had sore / tired legs from cycling and that never seemed to effect me.

Anyone else the same ?
    Am I just whinging ? ( this will be the favoured excuse here I imagine !)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You're not whinging, not feeling right is always worthy of investigation and fixing. Squats themselves are probably not the cause though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

does the feeling pass when you stand back up again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

are you dieting?

low carbs coupled with intense training can make people (me) irratiable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

How "hard"are you training? If you're killing yourself every day, no surprise. Stay well within yourself for a while :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Sounds very like a thread a while back where the consensus was the chap was overtraining. I didn't know but seem it can have profound effects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Hanley wrote: »
    How "hard"are you training? If you're killing yourself every day, no surprise. Stay well within yourself for a while :)

Yeah what the shirtless one says.

Try increase calories and sleep if you want to continue at the same pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If it really is caused by the squatting then it might be your CNS getting fried but I would only expect this if you were lifting a lot of weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I've noticed over the last couple of years that for days after I squat I feel a bit down and not really interested in anything.

This has happened quite a bit, I have been monitoring it over a good while.
    I had stopped squatting, mainly as I was hurting myself doing it wrong, but I got some tuition now and started back at it. But soon as I did I've noticed a dip in humor and my being lethargic.

I don't know if it's just the DOM's or what because I get them all over and it never effects me.
    I've also had sore / tired legs from cycling and that never seemed to effect me.

Anyone else the same ?
    Am I just whinging ? ( this will be the favoured excuse here I imagine !)
    whats your current weight? What reps and sets are you using? Current squat weight for said reps and sets and total program being used on the days you are squatting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Thanks lads.

I noticed it first when doing the 5*5 program.
    I had reached around 95/100 kg 5*5

Lately I have just started back at a much lower weight.

Thanks lads.

I noticed it first when doing the 5*5 program.
    I had reached around 95/100 kg 5*5

Lately I have just started back at a much lower weight.
    current weight? And total training completed on days training?

• Advertisement

Barbell curls 35kg 10 10 6
    Reverse BB
    Curls 25kg 7 6 6
    Calf Raises 90kg 9 6 3
    Squat 60kg 8 6 4

Thanks

current body weight.

obvious question next is diet because its not the training.

Make sure you have some base conditioning (you have the capacity to perform steady state cardio for 30mins e.g. a light run, row, swim etc) also as that workout should not leave you wrecked at all.

Outside of that i would look at stress levels and start doing more work in workouts (meditation etc) and less work out workouts.

thanks for the replies everyone.
    current body weight.

87kg @ 5'11
    Transform wrote: »
    Make sure you have some base conditioning

I do a bit of cycling, 10k fast to and from work daily and longer runs at the weekend. I have some basic fitness.
    Transform wrote: »
    as that workout should not leave you wrecked at all.
    It doesn't leave me wrecked - it puts me in bad form and a bit lethargic ( by that I mean I don't feel like doing any training, but I have plenty of energy ).
    I think its natural to feel a bit disinterested in training when your legs hurt as you use them constantly in daily life, but the feeling down bit I dont get ?

So it's the whole work out that depresses you? or specifically the squat?

Have you tried changing the workout for a short while does all form of exercise depress you?

Can exercise cause some kind of chemical loss? Such as lowering of dopamine levels and is it caused by al types of activity?

So it's the whole work out that depresses you? or specifically the squat?

Have you tried changing the workout for a short while does all form of exercise depress you?

No, I've been hitting the gym for 2.5 years now, it is defo only when I squat for a day or two. I stayed away from squatting as I didn't have great form and have been putting seeing someone about it on the long finger. Once I started back squatting I noticed an immediate dip in my humour.

No, I've been hitting the gym for 2.5 years now, it is defo only when I squat for a day or two. I stayed away from squatting as I didn't have great form and have been putting seeing someone about it on the long finger. Once I started back squatting I noticed an immediate dip in my humour.

So if you replace squat with another exercise you feel fine?
    but when you squat you get depressed?

Odd.

Are you finding the exercise difficult? does it not appeal? Is there some way you are trapping nerves causing discomfort? Do you do any other "high intensity" exercise like deadlifts which could drain your CNS and do they have a similar effect?

So if you replace squat with another exercise you feel fine?
    but when you squat you get depressed?

Odd.

Are you finding the exercise difficult? does it not appeal? Is there some way you are trapping nerves causing discomfort? Do you do any other "high intensity" exercise like deadlifts which could drain your CNS and do they have a similar effect?

I've read a fair bit about doing weights, and have therefore been infused with a love squats and want to get to doing some big lifts. ( if that answers your first q). And other than DOM's I don't think I get any other ill effects.

Benching certainly doesn't do it to me.

Maybe it's just that I am a whimp and don't like the fact my legs hurt. Cycling while leaving them tired doesn't leave them as sore.
    It may just be as simple as that.

Does the depression feel like the depression after a hang over? cos I would think it would be chemical then. maybe diet could fix it?
    Or is it more like monday morning not wanting to go to work, I think that would be psychological and you have some issue with the squat.

Although it sounds like you are looking forward to squating.

Could be some physical cause like you are trapping a nerve with the bar (if that's even possible)
    how tight are your shorts at the bottom of the squat? are you squishing your nuts? cos that would be putting me off too.

Maybe mix up the squats for a week or so see if anything changes, do front squats or split squats. maybe the new challenge will revive something different.

Advertisement