Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadlift grip help

Options
  • 17-07-2013 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

All,

I am having a bit of trouble with the deadlift. I am about 72kg currently, enjoying deadlifting but the only problem is that as soon as I reach 130kg I can lift one or two reps max but each time I feel like the bar could slip at any moment, its just from sweaty palms. With or without gloves it is the same.

I feel like I can go heavier than this, maybe hit 140kg+ but if I tried that I know I couldnt keep a hold of the bar. I dont think the gym allows chalk, which seems like it would help, because it messes the place up.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

You're right, chalk would probably help.

Have you tried alternate grip, i.e. one over, one under? This helped me.

Also do some good grip work - Farmer's Walks, plate pinch, bodyweight hangs from a chin-up bar or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I've been having problems with this as well. I'm 70kg and previously I used to be able to do 140kg, but anything heavier than that and my form fell apart and my back couldn't take it. I used to never have problems with my grip.

Then I had an accident which prevented me lifting any heavy weights in ages, and my DL plummeted. Recently I've been working on it, and I could get back to about 120kg without too much hassle. Anything higher than that and my grip gives out. Funny thing is that my form is much better now and I think if my grip wasn't failing I could go much higher.

Anyway I think I'm going to start working on farmers walks or static holds of a moderately heavy bar.

I've been having problems with this as well. I'm 70kg and previously I used to be able to do 140kg, but anything heavier than that and my form fell apart and my back couldn't take it. I used to never have problems with my grip.

Then I had an accident which prevented me lifting any heavy weights in ages, and my DL plummeted. Recently I've been working on it, and I could get back to about 120kg without too much hassle. Anything higher than that and my grip gives out. Funny thing is that my form is much better now and I think if my grip wasn't failing I could go much higher.

Anyway I think I'm going to start working on farmers walks or static holds of a moderately heavy bar.

Farmers walks are a godsent when it come's to grip development. Also, as I mentioned the bodyweight hangs from a chin bar or monkey bars are great too.

Woops, completely missed you post, sorry.

My current gym set up has very little room for farmers walk though. Is it worth while if I can only take a few steps?

• Advertisement

It's the exact same so don't worry about room, it just means you'll be turning sooner. You'll just have to keep doing it back and forth to simulate whatever distance you would cover if you had the room.

Would it be dumbells you're doing it with or do you have farmers walk logs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Chalk / mixed grip /straps

Dumbbells, or maybe a trap bar if it's workable (and the staff don't shout at me for mis-using it that way).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Had the same problem, was stuck at 160 and it was slipping at that. Use liquid chalk now and up to 190kg. Liquid chalk is not messy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

If walks are a problem, you could always go static holds, either with DBs or a BB at the top of a Deadlift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

ronanc15 wrote: »
    It's the exact same so don't worry about room, it just means you'll be turning sooner. You'll just have to keep doing it back and forth to simulate whatever distance you would cover if you had the room.

Would it be dumbells you're doing it with or do you have farmers walk logs?

would turning often not have the benefit of increasing core strength for twisting?

would turning often not have the benefit of increasing core strength for twisting?

Not sure to be honest, the farmers walks I do would be relatively heavy (for me) so I avoid twisting, I stop - turn slowly - and off I go again.

The farmers walks log I use have a mind of their own if your turn too quickly, could end up damaging your wrist I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Absolutely use chalk and an alternating grip but, eventually, the issue is going to be strength also.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Chalk, alternate grip, rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Thanks guys. It seems liquid chalk may be the answer.

I might do some farmers walks to develop the grip but that seems like the long term fix and may take a while whereas if I use straps or chalk the DL weight should jump up immediately.

I should say I already use over-under hand. I can only use the left under and right over. Is there any chance of any uneven development constantly using the same uneven grip?

Advertisement