Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dieticians/weightloss

• 15-07-2013 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

anybody know of a pay as you go properly qualified nutritionist service that allows you pay weekly at about 10euro or so. Please dont suggest slimming clubs etc. as been there and worn the teeshirt many many times, and thb the jury is out on their motives as anything other than money grabbers! (no offence if this affects anybody!) Even better if anybody knows one in the dublin area :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

First, I'm going to point out that weight loss is simple in theory. Simple as in the principles are not complicated, not as in it's necessarily easy. All you have to do is figure out how many calories you're consuming per day, assuming you're at a fairly stable weight, and eat less than this over a sustained period of time. There are any amount of sites and apps out there that will give you the energy and nutritional content of your food.

Secondly, I'm aware that, even given the information above, some people find it incredibly difficult going it alone and that the structure provided by professional help could be needed to get you on your way to achieving your goals. It's hard to put a price on health and happiness in self image.

Thirdly - and I'm sorry to say this - I seriously doubt that any established dietitian is going to offer their services for anywhere near as low as a tenner per week. This is just an educated guess and I'm open to correction here.

EDIT: Quick addendum. You seem to be using the terms "dietitian" and nutritionist" interchangeably. They are not the same. Dietitian is a protected term, like doctor, that requires a minimum of a BSc. in the appropriate course. Nutritionist is not (this is certainly the case in the UK, and I think it's the same in Ireland. That's not so say that there aren't competent nutritionists out there, but the fact is that I could legally set up as a nutritionist tomorrow despite having nothing but the most rudimentary knowledge in the field. So if you do go down this route, make sure the service you're enlisting is reputable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

What information are you after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 candydevine

hi and thanks for reply. yes I know theres a difference in the professions, but i have heard of people going to private persons for 10 a week and having great success. I am not massively overweight, but did lose a bit to find myself slowly gaining it back. I have an aversion to slimming clubs etc. as I believe they are impersonal and tend to brainwash and f,,,.,.,,k up peoples heads! however, I do believe there are people who with good understanding and intentions can motivate and guide people about how to achieve goals. thanks anyhow.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Firstly I doubt any nutritionist is going to work for 10 euro a session!!

Secondly, Post your current height and weight, and your diet. People will here will fix/alter it for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Pace2008 wrote: »

EDIT: Quick addendum. You seem to be using the terms "dietitian" and nutritionist" interchangeably. They are not the same. Dietitian is a protected term, like doctor, that requires a minimum of a BSc. in the appropriate course. Nutritionist is not (this is certainly the case in the UK, and I think it's the same in Ireland. That's not so say that there aren't competent nutritionists out there, but the fact is that I could legally set up as a nutritionist tomorrow despite having nothing but the most rudimentary knowledge in the field. So if you do go down this route, make sure the service you're enlisting is reputable.

Registration hasn't been fully implemented yet, the legislation is in place pending some final details and a ministerial order to enact it.

One of the items to be cleared up is the fact that some hospitals refer to their dietetic staff as Clinical Nutritionists.

In the meantime, INDI membership is the closest equivalent to being a registered dietitian.

Advertisement