Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

I am just about to buy an online version of (Omnibus editions) X-Men: The Age of Apocalypse ....and.... Infinity Wars...

That's a whole pile of nostalgia fun right there.
    They really took some great leaps with characters and arcs.
    Love the impeding dread and urgency as it built up the the final act.

Is it all the AOA Series?

Astonishing X-men ( Loved the whole team dynamic. Victor and Blink where awesome)
    Amazing X-men (storm still annoying )
    Factor-x ( Even evil Scotts a goody goody)
    Generation NeXt (Such a kick in the pants final.)
    X-Calibur (Worth it for the Cain Moment)
    Weapon X ( End of the world and he's still hardcore)
    X-man (So great they kept him for the regular MU)
    X-ternals(May have been Gambit and the ..)
    X-universe and of course AOA The Chosen. (mostly silly fun)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

I was impressed with their Jurassic Park and Sam & Max games so i'll check it out at some point.

In other news I just got Judge Dred: The mega collection volume 1. It's basically a bi-weekly "best of" collection of hardcover books, with a small booklet accompanying it, something like Marvel do. Vol 1 is "America" and i have to say the quality seems really good.

http://www.judgedreddcollection.com/

I must check out that MegaCollection! Thanks stranger!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

Re-reading Frank Miller's Sin City before watching the second movie that came out last year. I'm not sure if watching that stuff is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Mr.Buzz wrote: »
    Re-reading Frank Miller's Sin City before watching the second movie that came out last year. I'm not sure if watching that stuff is a good idea.
    Its worth reading the first one while watching movie, just to see how well they matched the Movie to the Graphic.
    The second movie Is not as good, But still worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Reading "Dark Justice" in 2000ad at the moment. Brilliant artwork and a very hard hitting story.

Also as others have indicated above, the "Mega Collection". Well bound and good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭L.S.F

Haven't got reading any in ages, still building up the collection tho. (Re)Started 2 years ago with the Marvel Graphic Novel Collection, have about 40 or so out of the first batch of 60 but around 15 unread. Also had Superior Spidey on hold each fortnight before I stopped both for a while. Picked up the end run of Superior (Goblin Nation) but missing the very last issue! Want to read that before starting Amazing/Spider-Verse which I have up to the current issue 12. Also in stock in my house are AvX, Batman - Court of the Owls, #1 of the Dredd collection & Sin City: The Hard Goodbye (well this is a re-read as got a better book of it).

Gonna start Dredd first then see where to go from there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I just finished "In the line of fire", the second volume of the collected-at-long-last Paul Jenkins run on Hellblazer, and it's a corker. If I had to pick a favourite story in there, I'd have to go for "Sins of the father", which follows on from the Family Man storyline and packs a devastating emotional punch.

I also read the latest issue of the Strumpet anthology, which was if anything even better than usual. A great mix of stories and art styles, ranging from light-hearted and funny to moving and emotional.

Other than that, I've got the last couple of issues of Trees to read, along with the most recent Manhattan Projects trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

If you've even a passing interest in DC Silver Age stuff, this behemoth of a book is actually great value, at 14" x 11" x 2" and 400 pages, beautiful reproductions of classic covers and page art, it weighs a ton! Hugely enjoyable.

http://m.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/popculture/all/02833/facts.the_silver_age_of_dc_comics.htm

There are 4 more in this series from Taschen, covering different ages of DC. My coffee table is gonna be in trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just finished Chew Volume 6
    Well that got pretty dark. And after seeing Mecha-Turducken fighting Poyo in front of images from Bloodsport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I just finished this... exellent artwork.. and story is classic gaiman....

339815.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Since it's rebooting essentially, I decided to start collecting Star Wars and the associated spin offs. Big Bang Comics posting me out Star Wars 1 and 2, as well as Darth Vader 1 and 2 today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

chrislad wrote: »
    Since it's rebooting essentially, I decided to start collecting Star Wars and the associated spin offs. Big Bang Comics posting me out Star Wars 1 and 2, as well as Darth Vader 1 and 2 today!

I've only read issue 1 of star wars so far but found bit quite good. The previews for Vader look to be of similar quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well finally sat down last night and read some comics. For too long I've been letting them build up on my table, or on my tablet. So while doing something on the PC last night took the time to read through some stuff.

I started off with Batman : Arkham Asylum ( A serious house on a serious earth) It was a random recommendation on the film forum discussing the new batman film. Very enjoyable, interesting take on the characters and the artwork was intense.

Feeling on a roll, I had picked up Batman: The Dark Knight. I'd heard all about this 52 reboot thing, and decided Batman, Superman and Justice league would be my first proper forays into "comics".

Got through the first six issues
    Knight Terrors
    A rush of blood
    Catch me if you can
    Welcome to the Jungle
    Handful of Dust
    Run Rabbit run

Really enjoyable so far :)

I've seen some mention of Star Wars here, could I get some recommendations or links to what sort of Star Wars stuff is out there and worth getting involved in :)

Thanks. Must have a root around to see if there was anything done about the old republic. Tend to prefer the stories people have done about the Jedi vs Sith kinda stuff rather then film based material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

TheDoc wrote: »
    Thanks. Must have a root around to see if there was anything done about the old republic. Tend to prefer the stories people have done about the Jedi vs Sith kinda stuff rather then film based material.

When you say Old Republic are we talking, say, Knights of the Old Republic time frame or the prequel era and anything set before?

If you don't care about the whole canon business (anything with Legends on it ie the old Expanded Universe/canon), Marvel took a digital bunch of Dark Horse's Star Wars digital comics and slapped their digital logo on them. As well as putting their logo on DH's reprints of Marvel's original Star Wars comics from the '80s.

They're rereleasing Knights of the Old Republic in print as an old Republic Epic Collection in a couple of months (Amazon says July), and Dark Times and other Order 66-based stories in an Empire Epic Collection (Amazon says April).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_Legends_comics

If you do care about canon then the earliest in the timeline you can get for the moment is that Rebels TV show post-Episode III Kanan Jarrus tie-in series. Oh, there's that Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic which adapts a cancelled story arc of the Clone Wars cartoon as well.

I'd say I'm talking Knights of the old republic time frame. At a guess. My star wars universe knowledge outside of the films spans to the games pretty much. (Which I prefer much more to the films stories)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm currently making my way through The Amazing Spider-Man (1963) on the Marvel Unlimited App. Up to Issue 70 at the moment, and while I'm enjoying them I do find them very repetative and formulatic.

Rotating roster of Villains, Villains commit crime, Spider-Man comes across Villain they fight, Spider-Man overcomes Villian and Villian flees and/or goes to jail.

There's very few arching storlines at the moment, I'm hoping they improve as the comics evolve.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I just finished this... exellent artwork.. and story is classic gaiman....

339815.jpg

I found the story quite disappointing, myself. The artwork was, as expected, magnificent - but given the allusion to Moore's excellent Superman story (and I say that as one who's got very little interest in Superman or in fact most superheroes at this point) I was hoping for something with a bit more substance than what we got.

I haven't read it since it was first released, mind you, so it's possible I'd change my mind since then, but at the time of reading I remember that and Paul Pope's Batman Year 100 as two Batman projects which started out really well but completely fudged the landing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well finally sat down last night and read some comics. For too long I've been letting them build up on my table, or on my tablet. So while doing something on the PC last night took the time to read through some stuff.

I started off with Batman : Arkham Asylum ( A serious house on a serious earth) It was a random recommendation on the film forum discussing the new batman film. Very enjoyable, interesting take on the characters and the artwork was intense.

Feeling on a roll, I had picked up Batman: The Dark Knight. I'd heard all about this 52 reboot thing, and decided Batman, Superman and Justice league would be my first proper forays into "comics".

Got through the first six issues
    Knight Terrors
    A rush of blood
    Catch me if you can
    Welcome to the Jungle
    Handful of Dust
    Run Rabbit run

Really enjoyable so far :)

I've seen some mention of Star Wars here, could I get some recommendations or links to what sort of Star Wars stuff is out there and worth getting involved in :)

I'd recommend reading the Tales of the Jedi comics which Dark Horse brought out during the mid-90s. They were a little bit hammy and childish at times but overall well worth a read. They were the first Star Wars comics to be set so far away from the classic era timeline, thousands of years before. Dark Lords of the Sith, The Sith War and Redemption were my favourite stories. And Hugh Fleming's amazing covers are still the best I've ever seen!

Thanks.

Yeah picked up a few #1's of some stories to get a feel for a few things.

At the moment very much enjoying Batman : The Dark Knight, Superman and Justice League as part of the 52 reboot.

I'm finally actually reading comics rather then reading about them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

If anyone wants the variant cover issue #1 of Star Wars that came with lootcrate PM me and your details and I'll post it to you!

Very nice of you Maximoose. Not after it. But curious as to which one it is.

I read Sex Criminals Volume one in anticipation of the Chip Zdarsky signing.
    Not sure its my cup of Tea thou. A lot of humor. But not digging the main plot of the sexytime police being after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

maximoose wrote: »
    If anyone wants the variant cover issue #1 of Star Wars that came with lootcrate PM me and your details and I'll post it to you!

I'll take this if its still going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

MarkHall wrote: »
    Very nice of you Maximoose. Not after it. But curious as to which one it is.

I read Sex Criminals Volume one in anticipation of the Chip Zdarsky signing.
    Not sure its my cup of Tea thou. A lot of humor. But not digging the main plot of the sexytime police being after them.

I loved this and have been reading the single issues as they've come out since but am not really loving them... Dunno if the second arc is just not as good or if it just lends itself better to the tpb format....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Crossed +100.
    6 issue series set 100 years after the original outbreak.
    Mad Max style tribe of survivors encounter a few groups of infected, who are now very rare.
    3 of the 6 issues published. Written by Alan Moore. The survivors speak with a new dialect that is almost impenetrable at times, but adds a lot to the sense of setting.
    I'm enjoying it. It has strange events which it doesn't explain yet but has hinted at.Plot details and theory on what is happening follow:
    The Crossed they have encountered have set up shrines featuring pictures and salt. The Crossed they have encountered haven't actually done anything; they've shot them all on sight. It is being hinted at that the new Crossed are not vicious, in a I am Legend type situation. Robert Heinlein was mentioned in the last issue which seems to be a nod towards the inspriation. In particular they find a video where Crossed appear to be geting tested to see how they react to acts of brutality; and then slain when they react with enthusiasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Started to re read the walking dead , Started last sunday on volume 1, Will be wrapping up volume 11 tonight

Star Wars [Republic]: Infinity's End - Possibly the worst of the Quinlan Vos stories. Well, it's not really a Quinlan Vos story, it's an event that happens to have him as the protagonist. Not Ramon Bach's best Star Wars work either.

Star Wars [Republic]: The Devaronian Version - Speaking of Quinlan Vos stories, I was never particularly big on Vilmarh Grahrk when he showed up in them. Devaronian Version is a clip show presenting his role in previous stories from his perspective.
    Grahrk taking down Vos a la Indiana Jones and the Cairo Swordsman
    was neat.

Star Wars: Invasion 3: Revelations
    Star Wars: Knight Errant 3: Escape
    Star Wars: The Old Republic 2: Threat of Peace

Star Wars: Routine Valor/Conan: The Spear
    - From the 2006 Free Comic Book Day. Read The Spear back in *googles* 2010 when it was colleced in the TPB but buddy was kind enough to give me the FCBD issue and save me from having to buy the Clone Wars Omnibus just for those ten pages which I didn't own already. Wheatley's art is always great and I'm glad to have more of it; story itself is pretty light on dialogue.

Dark Horse Presents #1 - Bought the DHP megabundle when on the cheap through the digital store (like I did to collect remaining Star Wars stories I didn't have before the licence went to Marvel). It's part of an experiment to see how much I handle reading comics on a screen plus the anthology format should hopefully lead me to other series.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Rift Part 2
    Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Rift Part 3
    - Think the series might benefit from a time jump just to avoid all the important stuff looking like they happen in the months just after the TV series. Still, hope the stories keep coming. Legend of Korra sequel series as well plz.
    The reveal that the spirit's giant armour faceplate is the iron being mined
    was nicely done.

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman - Akira Toriyama's story of an alien policeman's brief misadventures on Earth set in the Dragon Ball world. Also includes the Dragon Ball Minus one-shot which gives lip service to the DBZ Battle of Gods movie, the official continuation of the manga in blah blah etc. etc. scraping barrel by bringing Frieza back in next movie. I'm a Toriyama fan, I'll read anything he puts out. Provided it gets translated into English. wink.png

Superman: Birthright - How come all the best Superman stories are the origin? pacman.gif

The Amazing Spider-Man Big Time Ultimate Collection 1
    The Amazing Spider-Man Big Time Complete Collection 2
    - Handily filling in the gaps in my TPBs in the run-up to Superior. Phil Urich as the anti-Peter Parker was great.

Silver Surfer 1: New Dawn - Silver Surfer does Doctor Who. It works.

She-Hulk 1: Law and Disorder - The sooner Shulk gets into the MCU the better so that people actually buy her books.

Indestructible Hulk 3: S.M.A.S.H. Time - Bit convoluted towards the end but I'm a sucker for time travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bazzer_1984

Ive just started reading Batman the man who laughs . I felt year one was a fantastic read got me wanting to read more Batman the art is amazing in it :-) i'd love to design art like that as a past time!!! after that i'll be moving onto some superman paperbacks New Krypton , Superman mon - el , Earth 2 that i purchased in Hidden treasure comics then i'll go onto Batman haunted knight which has 3 parts i do love my comics :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭L.S.F

Just finished the Superior Spider-Man run, good end but I think the Goblin Nation conclusion was a bit abrupt. Have all the issues of the new run of Amazing already so it's just a case of reading them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bazzer_1984

Does anyone here know of any Comic shows / fairs or clubs that you can join in Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WilsonIRL

I'm currently reading mostly Marvel series at the moment;

All New X-Men
    Nova
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Ms. Marvel
    Thor
    Shield

I'm also reading Saga, The Wicked and the Divine and Sex Criminals.

I just finished Starlight and MPH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Started to re read the walking dead , Started last sunday on volume 1, Will be wrapping up volume 11 tonight

DO YOU BUY IT ONLINE OR EREAD THE HARD COPPIES ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Back reading Civil War. This Marvel Unlimited is the best €50 I ever spent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

horgan_p wrote: »
    Back reading Civil War. This Marvel Unlimited is the best €50 I ever spent.

Agreed with the unlimited being great value. Is civil war worth a read? I read issue one and it didn't blow me away to be honest.

Ah it's up there as one of those books that everyone kinda has to read. I wasn't blown away myself when I read it (back in the day and have not revisited since) but Marvel does like to reference big continuity points so it's certainly worth your time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

it feeds into the illuminati / the road to secret wars so I've gone back to reread it.
    Plus it adds a fair bit to Cap. America and Spiderman's characters.

Loughc wrote: »
    Agreed with the unlimited being great value. Is civil war worth a read? I read issue one and it didn't blow me away to be honest.

The Issue I had with it is the characters didn't feel like themselves to me.
    Millar does great work when he's given alt realities to play with. But the Civil War folks just felt like "Ultimate!" Versions of the characters.

Plus that Punisher scene just left me cold.

It was worth it for the Death and the internet fun that came about after it!

Also reading Starlight: Enjoyable start.

And Book 1 of Uncanny X-force. Enjoying Deadpool with no Thought bubbles. The fact that he's still having the conversations with himself is a nice touch. Art is dark and occasionally a bit Gri for my tastes. But we'll see how this plays out.

Seeing there is some DC Convergence thing happening in April? What is all that about?

Just got myself into finally reading comics lately, and making good progress through Justice League and Batman, and it looks to be put on hold for two months ? :D

Although maybe it's an opportunity to pickup a series physically from the start? Currently fully digital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 cacdit2016

Gonna get back into the Green Arrow after watching the TV show

Read the first trade of Hickman's Fantastic Four and rather enjoyed it. Some nice ideas in play and there was a sense of grandeur to it that many Marvel stories lack. One thing that really annoyed me was the use of "retard", it was unnecessary and distasteful and really lowered the tone. I'd expect it from someone like Mark Millar as it's the kind of juvenile trash he thinks is witty but from Hickman I expect better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

From my understanding, Convergence will basically give us all the old multiverses in one way or another. Though whether it results in a Crisis like merging of verses, I don't know.

Just started Fairest of Them All. Good job I read Fables Vol. 19 (Snow White) before it as Fairest has major spoilers for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Just finished Kreisgberg and Sokolowski's run on green arrow, was quite enjoyable, too many characters crammed in though and in fairness it'd be tough coming onto the book after Lemire and Sorrentino's run.

Really enjoyed Jeff parker's maelstrom storyline on aquaman too, which i also just finished, great story and had a great adventurous feel to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

On a whim, broke out the original Grant Morrison run on Animal Man last night. Amazing.

We know he's a bit of a loon nowadays, but jesus, they were great comics. I remember at the time they were absolutely world-changing.

I read the second volume of Moore's run on Swamp Thing as I've never read it before, and it was as excellent as expected. Problem is, I'm trying to get them from my local library and they probably have them all - but they aren't on the online reservation system...

On a similar note, I finally read From Hell over the last few days. Very, very good stuff all round, with some wonderful scratchy artwork from Eddie Campbell.

Suffice to say I won't be watching the film versions of either title :P

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Reading some Alan Moore myself: Promethea (up to Book 3), which has stunning artwork. Also reading Knightfall.

I've got a bookmark in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen omnibus but I'm caught between having to sum up the energy to read the Quatermain short story and my belief that I should read everything in the book to qualify as having actually read it.

If I skip it, it'll just continue to be sitting there unread gathering dust when it should be in the loft. Gathering dust.

Ridley wrote: »
    I've got a bookmark in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen omnibus but I'm caught between having to sum up the energy to read the Quatermain short story and my belief that I should read everything in the book to qualify as having actually read it.

If I skip it, it'll just continue to be sitting there unread gathering dust when it should be in the loft. Gathering dust.

Oh, I'm the same. I think it wasn't until Century was completed that I went back and actually read the text stories in LoEG volume 2 and in Black Dossier. They take a certain amount of a mental run-up, as it were, but are generally very rewarding. I particularly liked the PG Wodehouse meets HP Lovecraft story in Black Dossier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Black Widow
    Amazing Spider-man
    Wonder Woman
    Suoerman Wonder Woman

With the occasional trade.

Advertisement