Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal Tow Path

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Absolutely not the case. Its as easy to ignore 50 complaints as 5. The Councillors are in silly season before the election, so unless it something they can do for you in short order to guarantee a vote, theyll ignore it too as irrelevant.

I take your point but as with everything in life, if you don't get up and speak up then I guarantee you nothing will happen. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Absolutely not the case. Its as easy to ignore 50 complaints as 5. The Councillors are in silly season before the election, so unless it something they can do for you in short order to guarantee a vote, theyll ignore it too as irrelevant.
    I rang the council (not the councillors) again this morning. No response yet. Bad form but not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

daymobrew wrote: »
    I rang the council (not the councillors) again this morning. No response yet. Bad form but not unusual.
    Phoning the Council or any public service body is a complete waste of time in my experience. Email and letters are the only form of correspondence that they reply to. You also have a written record of your correspondence to fall back on in the case of contradiction or dispute.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No it wasn't legal but no one stopped them and now they can claim squatter's rights.

Time frame for adverse possession of state land is much longer than private land so unless the houses have been there for ages, they can't.

MYOB wrote: »
    Time frame for adverse possession of state land is much longer than private land so unless the houses have been there for ages, they can't.
    I would say that the houses on Roselawn Road are over 30 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I would say that the houses on Roselawn Road are over 30 years old.

Roselawn was built between 1971 & 1974, making it over 40 years old :eek:

I left 2 more messages this morning. The third time I left a message with a person. A short while later I got a call from Naomi Rooney (I think that she is or was the FCC Cycling Officer).

She told me the following:
    * Targeted opening date is Friday 20 June.
    * Currently waiting on ESB to install cables for lights and CCTV.
    * Final surface will be done after this - so that heavy vehicles are not driving on the final surface.
    * The contractor's completion date of end of February was very ambitious; FCC always planned for 30 weeks construction.

I left 2 more messages this morning. The third time I left a message with a person. A short while later I got a call from Naomi Rooney (I think that she is or was the FCC Cycling Officer).

She told me the following:
    * Targeted opening date is Friday 20 June.
    * Currently waiting on ESB to install cables for lights and CCTV.
    * Final surface will be done after this - so that heavy vehicles are not driving on the final surface.
    * The contractor's completion date of end of February was very ambitious; FCC always planned for 30 weeks construction.

Fair play daymobrew, I received an email as well. It said mid June - depending on the ESB connection. I'm fairly sure I saw some workers at the Castleknock entrance yesterday - first bit of work I've seen in a long time.

There you go, who says complaining doesn't work. :)

There you go, who says complaining doesn't work. :)
    Complaining didn't get the info or move the project along. Persistence simply got the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

cycled (or attempted to) from ashtown to blanch via the canalpath on saturday, its fine from ashtown to navan road station but all lose chips then from there on to 12th lock. Possibly ok for mountain bikes or those with large wide tyres, not so for road bikes.

From what I understand the path past castleknock station is worse and there are no plans to upgrade this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

From Castleknock station to Porterstown gets into pretty poor condition when wet, it's very slippy and muddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

ThisRegard wrote: »
    From Castleknock station to Porterstown gets into pretty poor condition when wet, it's very slippy and muddy.

Does anyone know if plans were mooted to upgrade this section? I suspect that there would be a bit of work involved due to the narrowness of the path and the potential for tree removal in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think someone did mention it would be upgraded at some stage. I personally like it as it is, a bit of wilderness in the heart of D15.

Last bit of Tarmac being laid at the moment. I am at 12th Lock and just talked to one of the guys working on the final surface.

Last bit of Tarmac being laid at the moment. I am at 12th Lock and just talked to one of the guys working on the final surface.

Yes, just saw it. It looks finished to me but the barrier is still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

power lights and cctv still to be done plus any markings they put down so Id say a while yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

sorry,,I'm just back and the lights have been installed..so getting there quickly now..

sorry,,I'm just back and the lights have been installed..so getting there quickly now..
    A guy told me that the cables were nicked so maybe it's that the light poles are in but no cabling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

Walked between 11th and 12th this evening and it's nicely tarmac'd. Lights on poles, so looks good
    for opening on Friday please God!

On Friday afternoon I did a tiny cycle from 12th Lock to the M50 Aquaduct. They were finishing installing railings on the canal edge. This is welcome as that section is the narrowest part. A cyclist overtaking a pedestrian at that point would otherwise be tricky.

Here is a photo of the railings: 311698.jpg

• Advertisement

Cycled 12th Lock to Ashtown and back with the family this evening. Nice surface.

Close to Navan Road Parkway station are two concrete blocks blocking the entire path - what the hell? And there was a car parked on the Ashtown side.
    I assume that the bollards are temporary (though why there were not removed is beyond me).
    Photo: 311820.jpg

There is the beginnings of access to the Navan Road Parkway station.
    Photo: 311821.jpg

The bollards at Navan Road Parkway were in place to stop vehicles driving on the towpath at night time, something that was happening at night time.

A gate is being installed at the moment and bollards will removed shortly. The gate is to stop motorbikes. It will impact cyclists too and might be awkward to get through if you have panniers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The bollards at Navan Road Parkway were in place to stop vehicles driving on the towpath at night time, something that was happening at night time.

A gate is being installed at the moment and bollards will removed shortly. The gate is to stop motorbikes. It will impact cyclists too and might be awkward to get through if you have panniers.

My understanding is that it will fully block a number of types of bikes (ie cargo bikes, trikes, etc) and trailers.... Is this not the case?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Gate is in place near the Ashtown end. Bikes getting through OK.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Gate is in place near the Ashtown end. Bikes getting through OK.

In this context...
    ...The gate is to stop motorbikes. It will impact cyclists too and might be awkward to get through if you have panniers.

...and I've seen elsewhere that somebody has had to lift a bike with panniers over the barrier.

What does ok mean?

Can larger bikes and bikes with panniers fit by the gates or not?

monument wrote: »
    Can larger bikes and bikes with panniers fit by the gates or not?
    Here is a photo from the Grand Canal greenway where it is a tight fit for a narrow road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Here is a photo from the Grand Canal greenway where it is a tight fit for a narrow road bike.

Fun fact of the day.
    They checked the new gate system on my bike 2 weeks ago at the gate to installed beside the 12th lock.
    Its a tight fit alright.

And are the Royal Canal Gates narrower or the same or what?

monument wrote: »
    And are the Royal Canal Gates narrower or the same or what?
    In my email conversation with Naomi Rooney of FCC it sounds like they can be wider but the narrow (aka 'the same' as Grand Canal) will in place for a month to eradicate the motorcycle problem and then the wider setting enabled.

In my submission on the greenway I asked that restrictions be removed initially as a trial, with CCTV used to monitor violations. It's annoying to put in inconveniences to solve a problem that may not exist. If there is a problem, then put them in, though I would rather the CCTV be used i.e. report the violators to the Gardai.

• Advertisement

In my email conversation with Naomi Rooney of FCC it sounds like they can be wider but the narrow (aka 'the same' as Grand Canal) will in place for a month to eradicate the motorcycle problem and then the wider setting enabled.

In my submission on the greenway I asked that restrictions be removed initially as a trial, with CCTV used to monitor violations. It's annoying to put in inconveniences to solve a problem that may not exist. If there is a problem, then put them in, though I would rather the CCTV be used i.e. report the violators to the Gardai.

Thanks.

I'm trying to get details from officials about the sizes of gates and what exactly can get past or not and it's proving hard.

Advertisement