Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beasty wrote: »
    Half the Irish cycling world seem to refer to me as Beasty. Confuses the hell out of the family who have no idea of my online persona!
    I was at a talk one time and a person at the top table kept referring to you as Beasty which I thought must have been very strange to the non- Boardsies present.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was at a talk one time and a person at the top table kept referring to you as Beasty which I thought must have been very strange to the non- Boardsies present.

To be fair I find it very hard to refer to people I first chatted to here via there real name, even if it is longer or more nuanced. Captain works as a nice nickname anyway for Mr. Havoc, so that's fine, if not sometimes misconstrued as mildly erotic by unknowing bystanders.

Quite a few commuters I have met over the years who have opened with "Hi I'm John, ***** from boards". Its not until that second sentence that you are really sure where it is going to go. Ken once nearly made me sh1t myself when he walked up behind me at a Red light at 7:45 in the morning and I was not fully in the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I get called Rob a lot, though dcikhead just as often ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

RobFowl wrote: »
    I get called Rob a lot, though dcikhead just as often ;)

Bet you've I've been called dick more than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    To be fair I find it very hard to refer to people I first chatted to here via there real name, even if it is longer or more nuanced. ....
    I'd always use their real name even if I only know them from here. I'd feel odd using their Boards name.

• Advertisement

I'd always use their real name even if I only know them from here. I'd feel odd using their Boards name.

I have great difficulties with names, always have, too be honest most people are lucky I remember them at all. I do suppose it is the username that decides it, the likes of HarryBelafonte, I have to stop myself calling Harry but the likes of Nee it is easier to go by the real name as its not a name that is typical to me. I ended up calling two in laws the wrong name for 3 years, they look nothing alike but found it hilarious. Several people just never told me there real name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Half the Irish cycling world seem to refer to me as Beasty. Confuses the hell out of the family who have no idea of my online persona!
    Most of VCB call you Bolloxy!*

My not actually be true.But is may actually be true as well!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have had to introduce myself on more than a few occasions as magicbastarder. thankfully, i've never been in a situation where i've gotten the identity of the other person wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

There's a reason my name and my screen name here are so similar. No having to introduce myself as an embarrassing/obscure username.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i very deliberately picked a username (first used over 15 years ago) which is not linked to my real name. and i only rarely give identifying info out on public forums.

• Advertisement

i very deliberately picked a username (first used over 15 years ago) which is not linked to my real name. and i only rarely give identifying info out on public forums.

That's fair enough. I have no problem with people knowing my name, but keep more personal info, well, personal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

koutoubia wrote: »
    Most of VCB call you Bolloxy!*
    My not actually be true.But is may actually be true as well!

You bastards call me Imelda..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭koutoubia

That was actually Lusk Doyler I believe came up with that.
    It is good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

koutoubia wrote: »
    That was actually Lusk Doyler I believe came up with that.
    It is good though.

No. I proposed Naomi on acount of he changes clothes as often as a supermodel. Imelda was in reference to the amount of cycling shoes he has but that was someone elses baby.

I do stand by my version of Beasty though!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

I do stand by my version of Beasty though!
    This you? - think you could drop the "au vin" mind....

:D

This you? - think you could drop the "au vin" mind....

:D

Ha ha no way!

It's me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have great difficulties with names, always have, too be honest most people are lucky I remember them at all. I do suppose it is the username that decides it, the likes of HarryBelafonte, I have to stop myself calling Harry but the likes of Nee it is easier to go by the real name as its not a name that is typical to me. I ended up calling two in laws the wrong name for 3 years, they look nothing alike but found it hilarious. Several people just never told me there real name.

Which is odd as I chose it due to my looking nothing like the man. When I use my real name, I'm often mistaken for a woman.

speaking of names - bike manufacturer names; is btwin pronounced bt win, or b twin?
    and why is it lapierre, and not lepierre? as pierre is a masculine name.

speaking of names - bike manufacturer names; is btwin pronounced bt win, or b twin?

I would have thought b twin, but in both I will tell you the same thing I tell my father - you're over analysing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I've always said B-twin, never heard it said bt win.

Lapierre was founded by a man named Gaston Lapierre, don't really think French gender nouns are all that consistent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

While Pierre is a masculine name, (la) pierre is a feminine word meaning (the) stone (from the Greek, petra).

For languages with grammatical genders the gender of a word isn't always obvious when you're coming from English. Though apparently if it's your native language you think "of course stones are female..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Lapierre was founded by a man named Gaston Lapierre, don't really think French gender nouns are all that consistent!

La verge = the penis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

- bike manufacturer names; is btwin pronounced bt win.

What sort of a monster are you?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Isn't it B'twin anyway?

Weepsie wrote: »
    Isn't it B'twin anyway?

B'twixt and B'twin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Ive always refered to them as b.t.w in.

lennymc wrote: »
    Ive always refered to them as b.t.w in.

I've always referred to them as "No, I don't want one of them."

i was in portugal a month or two back. they had them in a decathlon there, and they're bloody cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

I'm obviously late to the party but oh my good grud pivot tables are a handy excel feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Peterx wrote: »
    I'm obviously late to the party but oh my good grud pivot tables are a handy excel feature.

Pivot and lookup tables were a godsend, best tools ever. youtube taught me.

Pascal Donohue missed a chance there I think. All his climate change, public transport, capital infrastructure talk, and no mention of cycling.

Saying anything about a review of needs or something along those lines would at least have acknowledged that cyclists can be a part of cleaner cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

A brief look at depression from an Irish pro cyclist...

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/i-was-fitter-and-stronger-but-my-self-esteem-was-melting-away-1.2818046
    An exercise fanatic from no age, I’ve realised that physical exertion was my coping mechanism for depression. When cycling became my occupation, it fuelled my woes rather than extinguished them. This is what led to the downward spiral.

I still love every year of riding a bike. I am trying to pack my weeks with any sport I can think of, because now I know it gives me peace of mind.

Pascal Donohue missed a chance there I think. All his climate change, public transport, capital infrastructure talk, and no mention of cycling.

Saying anything about a review of needs or something along those lines would at least have acknowledged that cyclists can be a part of cleaner cities.

Maybe so but what about proposition 305 that he also missed?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Maybe so but what about proposition 305 that he also missed?

Discount bus passes for war widows?

• Advertisement

basic bike maintenance question - is the tape which holds handlebar tape in place up near the stem just electrical tape?

plus, is it easy to get hold of replacement pads for the inside of a bike helmet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

basic bike maintenance question - is the tape which holds handlebar tape in place up near the stem just electrical tape?

That's what I always use.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The stuff that comes with the tape is slightly different but electrical tape is fine - provided you use the right colour!

plus, is it easy to get hold of replacement pads for the inside of a bike helmet?

Giro replacements pads are usually easy enough to get on EBay.
    No experience of any other brand.

• Advertisement

mine's a bell.
    which is a curious name for a helmet brand, now that i think of it.

mine's a bell.

If you lie down does that make you a Bellend

(I'll get my coat)

mine's a bell.

From the About page on Bell's EU site:
    BELL was founded in 1954 in California by Roy Richter, a passionate of auto racing. Roy perceived the need for safety in the auto racing field and moved to put products in place to serve that need. The name BELL simply comes for the fact that Roy's activities were housed in a small, garage-like facility in Bell, California.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Danny MacAskill’s latest *swoon*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

In the outtakes Danny even manages to fall off a bike elegantly (well most of the time!).

Magic. The man never ceases to amaze me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

My 3 year old reckons he can do all those stunts. Should I be afraid?

Raam wrote: »
    My 3 year old reckons he can do all those stunts. Should I be afraid?

Make him watch the making of sections of Danny's other videos, give him pause for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

@RobFowl. Half way there

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement