Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog hit by car yesterday on Doughiska Rd..

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Discodog wrote: »
    You also forget the trauma caused to the driver. If I killed your dog, because you let it stray, I would consider suing you because I would be very upset for the dog. Dog owners have to take responsibility.

Nice try. PTSD can only be diagnosed if the trauma involved a genuine risk to your own life.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Driving test isn't about what did happen on the day - it's about how you react to and deal with different scenario. I failed my motorbike test first time round for a similar reaction as mentioned above.

Nice try, but I've a motorbike. Can't fail the test for braking too hard unless you lock up the front wheel. They have emergency speed reduction exercise in the test for a reason....

mike_ie wrote: »

This is entering well into silly argument territory and whataboutery - even a small dog can weigh 8-10kg, bigger ones anything up to 40kg. Take a rock of similar mass and chuck it at your car, and let us know the outcome.

Neighbours dog was killed when a car hit him at over 80km/hr. No damage done to car and the driver didn't try to sue the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Nice try, but I've a motorbike. Can't fail the test for braking too hard unless you lock up the front wheel. They have emergency speed reduction exercise in the test for a reason....

Actually you can, and I did. Back in 1996 if that helps.
    Neighbours dog was killed when a car hit him at over 80km/hr. No damage done to car and the driver didn't try to sue the owner.

A neighbour of mine walked away from a high speed head-on collision without a scratch on him a few years back. Ergo, nobody dies in high speed collisions??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Nice try. PTSD can only be diagnosed if the trauma involved a genuine risk to your own life.

Nice try ? :confused: I didn't mention PTSD ? Of course your post is rubbish. Distress can be caused by many things & it would be for a Court to decide, not you.

Your child analogy is equally ridiculous. AFAIK we don't have a parental responsibility law. The only way that a car can hit a dog is if the owner breaks the law. I accept that you could have a borderline issue where, for example, the owner momentarily loses control of the dog.

Hitting an average dog at 50k/hr wouldn't do any damage to the cosmetics of the car.

If you knocked down and killed a child that ran across the road, would you look for compensation from the parents?

Yes it will. I saw the damage done to my aunts car, the front bumper was cracked and bits broken off and had to be replaced with a band new one on a car that (if I remember correctly) was only a few months old at the time. I also saw my fathers car a number of years ago when he hit a dog, it ripped of the engine under-tray and cost a few hundred to be replaced, unfortunately in this instance the owner could not be found so he had to pay the money himself. A dog can do far more damage then you appear to believe.

Even a few scratches will cost money to fix, money which I personally would not be willing to let go just because an animal died.

As another poster mentioned how farmers can and do get into serious trouble if their animals cause a crash? If a cow is out on the road and destroys a car should the farmer be exempt from blame because a cow died?

What would happen in a situation with a child or person is irrelevant to this situation. Yes many people including myself get attached to animals and almost see them as people but at the end of the day they are not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement