Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bike Scheme thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Yiz are all fairies! ;)

My 3.5-year-old once cycled 2 km to his creche on a bike that was 75% of his own body-weight. He needed some encouragement and a push on the hills, but otherwise no bother.
    With or without stabilisers? If with - then was tougher again because of the extra surface friction with the plastic wheels?

antoobrien wrote: »
    23kg I want one - the bikes they're selling these days are too light (14kg bikes on sale, what do they think is cycling on these fairies?)

I think as long as the tyre's are using the correct pressure for a Dublinbike and once your moving then there is not a whole lot of difference between the a 14kg and 23kg bike. For short trips anyhow. Presume the weight on Dublinbike is because its made of steel rather than aluminium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Yiz are all fairies! ;)

My 3.5-year-old once cycled 2 km to his creche on a bike that was 75% of his own body-weight. He needed some encouragement and a push on the hills, but otherwise no bother.

My god you did that to a child:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

With or without stabilisers? If with - then was tougher again because of the extra surface friction with the plastic wheels?

With stabilisers. His legs are too short otherwise! Chunky wheels on the stabilisers, by the way.

My god you did that to a child

There was also light rain at the time, and I was pushing his younger sibling in a buggy. One hill was very steep too.

For your information, the route in question also has the following features:
    • there are three roundabouts along the way
    • there is a stretch of road with no footpath
    • there are no pedestrian crossings
    • part of the route (in a residential area with two creches) has an 80 km/h speed limit
    • motorists routinely break the speed limit on all roads in the area
    • there is no traffic calming
    • An Garda Siochana refused to carry out speed checks some years ago on the basis that it would not be "an efficient use of resources" and they have not been seen since
    • footpaths are routinely blocked by illegally parked vehicles
    • there is no short cut through quieter residential streets because the "planners" created large cul-de-sac estates divided by high walls and surrounded by roads with a high design speed and no traffic calming.
    So who would you complain to? And about what exactly?

You choose:

Galway City Council

An Garda Siochana

Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children

Let us know how you get on.

[/LIST]So who would you complain to? And about what exactly?

I see the concept of sarcasm is still lost on you.

On a serious point, since you seem to be of the opinion that cycling is inherently dangerous in Galway why would you bring your kids out on bike - even on a footpath?

• Advertisement

If you're going to use a smiley you need to pick the right one: :rolleyes:

Cycling is an inherently safe and healthful mode of transport, which is why I'm encouraging my children in that direction. The inherent risks of cycling are trivial, and the long-term benefits far outweigh the risks.

I cycled to school as a child, and a bike is a major key to a child's independence, IMO. I would hate to see my kids grow up with the level of car dependence which is now the norm in Ireland, and which is associated with a range of other problems such as overweight and obesity.

Seeking safer conditions for cycling is a bit of a tightrope act in this country. One the one hand, it can be counterproductive to place too much emphasis on safety and danger. On the other hand, real and perceived danger on the roads is a common cause of concern, and is often cited by parents as a barrier to active commuting. It's not a circle I've managed to square so far.

As a general rule the healthier choice should be the easier choice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Only on the internet can a cycle to school be described in length and with citations as a task that made the Labours of Heracles seem like a walk in the park.

#FirstWorldProblems

Back on topic, and looking at the map of possible Bike Docking Station locations, anyone else see the merit on one in the triangle of land at Joyces, although slightly out of range. After all, part of the initial planning for the supermarket was all kinds of community perks, not many of which have been forthcoming.

If you're going to use a smiley you need to pick the right one: :rolleyes:

No need to be narky or sarcastic - one could be accused of insulting other posters with your fairy comment. Besides I did refer to myself as a tub of lard, so thrust of said portion of the thread was mostly in jest - I suggest you start taking that kind of thing onboard.
    Cycling is a safe and healthful mode of transport

Bookmarked for the next time you attempt to paint it as unsafe.

Robbo wrote: »
    Back on topic, and looking at the map of possible Bike Docking Station locations, anyone else see the merit on one in the triangle of land at Joyces, although slightly out of range. After all, part of the initial planning for the supermarket was all kinds of community perks, not many of which have been forthcoming.

Probably to far for the initial phase, but they maybe reluctant to put one here anyhow.
    See how they have avoided Taylors Hill area probably due to the Climb on Taylors hill plus the lane widths are narrow on this road (same applies to the Kingston Road and it also has heavy traffic because its the main road to South Connemara.)

I'm surprised they dont have one at the bottom of College Road/Huntsman. See alot of people walking into the city from here.

Your right. Its 4km radius. See Page 17 of the following PDF. Bike Scheme Technical Report
    Very much a concentration of stations on the West Side of the City. (Apart from Taylors hill area)

I notice that they advised against putting bikes near the stadium (and a few other places out west) on the previous page.
    However, it is recommended that the first phase of the deployment area is reduced from the currently proposed 8km2 to around 4km2 but with as many docking stations as originally intended. This would increase the density of the docking stations from around 3/km2 to 6/km2.

Further surveys and analysis would be required but, based on a desktop review, it would make sense not to include the proposed docking stations on the western side of the city (Salthill Road pier, Pearse Stadium), north east (the three in the Wellpark area), and perhaps the ones to the north of R338 and N6. A greater density would be recommended for the city centre (e.g. to the west of Eyre Square), with additional stations between the city centre and Salthill.

Maybe that's a good thing, I wouldn't want to be relying on a bike that mightn't be there if I go to a match.

On the west theres a big gap between Lower Salthill & Newcastle. So I'd probably put one somewhere like the Jes or on the corner of Tailors hill, St Mary's Rd & The Crescent.

There's probably room for one in Shantalla as well, but I'm not sure where a good spot would be.
    I'm surprised they dont have one at the bottom of College Road/Huntsman. See alot of people walking into the city from here.

I'd agree with that if people were going across town. If you're only going as far as the square, it's hardly worth it. If that is the case I'd have one at Cemetery Cross and/or the Huntsman, preferably both really, as I wouldn't want to have to go over to the shopping center from the Huntsman for a slot.

• Advertisement

No need to be narky or sarcastic - one could be accused of insulting other posters with your fairy comment. Besides I did refer to myself as a tub of lard, so thrust of said portion of the thread was mostly in jest - I suggest you start taking that kind of thing onboard.

QUOTE]

It is you who say it. As for fairies, I was merely following on from an earlier jest.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75504854&postcount=58

Bookmarked for the next time you attempt to paint it as unsafe.

I have never tried to "paint" cycling as unsafe.

The key word is inherent. I suggest you bookmark that, rather than engage in this tiresome (and humourless) point-scoring.

My previous post now edited accordingly.

Probably to far for the initial phase, but they maybe reluctant to put one here anyhow.

See how they have avoided Taylors Hill area probably due to the Climb on Taylors hill plus the lane widths are narrow on this road (same applies to the Kingston Road and it also has heavy traffic because its the main road to South Connemara.)

Now that I think of it, one good thing about these bike share schemes, IMO, is that they don't lend themselves to helmet hysteria.

TTBOMK such schemes wouldn't work well where helmet-wearing is mandatory. I'm open to correction on this point, but it would be difficult to operate a bike-sharing scheme if potential users had to supply their own helmet, and making helmet-sharing part of the deal would be problematic if not impossible. If public bike schemes are here to stay, then this might well put paid for good to any attempts at making helmets compulsory. As one commentator said on RTE radio, a key benefit of bike sharing schemes is that they normalise cycling. That said, they presumably just couldn't resist the PC requirement to perch a helmet on minister Alan Kelly's head for the photo opp outside the Millennium Arts Building.

46485.jpg

Robbo wrote: »
    Only on the internet can a cycle to school be described in length and with citations as a task that made the Labours of Heracles seem like a walk in the park.

Only on Boards (or is it just the Galway City forum?) can some people's interpretation of certain things be so wide of the mark.

The point is that even a three-and-a-half year old boy on a heavy bike can cycle 2km, albeit needing encouragement and a bit of a push, and in a non-conducive environment at that.

There are hundreds if not thousands of adult males resident in Galway City who would would rather sit in their cars for hours daily whinging incessantly and fruitlessly about things like traffic congestion, the absence of a bypass and the terrible weather rather than get off their arses and walk or cycle 2 km, as if such a task were the 13th Labour of Heracles.

On the west theres a big gap between Lower Salthill & Newcastle. So I'd probably put one somewhere like the Jes or on the corner of Tailors hill, St Mary's Rd & The Crescent.

Ya I noticed that too, that would be a good location the corner of Tailors hill, St Mary's Rd & The Crescent. There is to much concentration on the Prom route.
    There's probably room for one in Shantalla as well, but I'm not sure where a good spot would be.
    Near the National School perhaps
    I'd agree with that if people were going across town. If you're only going as far as the square, it's hardly worth it. If that is the case I'd have one at Cemetery Cross and/or the Huntsman, preferably both really, as I wouldn't want to have to go over to the shopping center from the Huntsman for a slot.
    Ya - I think both spots would be good locations - give the east side a better share.

Now that I think of it, one good thing about these bike share schemes, IMO, is that they don't lend themselves to helmet hysteria.

TTBOMK such schemes wouldn't work well where helmet-wearing is mandatory. I'm open to correction on this point, but it would be difficult to operate a bike-sharing scheme if potential users had to supply their own helmet, and making helmet-sharing part of the deal would be problematic if not impossible. If public bike schemes are here to stay, then this might well put paid for good to any attempts at making helmets compulsory. As one commentator said on RTE radio, a key benefit of bike sharing schemes is that they normalise cycling. That said, they presumably just couldn't resist the PC requirement to perch a helmet on minister Alan Kelly's head for the photo opp outside the Millennium Arts Building.

46485.jpg

Not sure why you quoted me here? My post had nothing to do with Helmets anyhow your right by the way on the point you make. Melbourne has one of the least used bike share schemes in the world because of this very issue. Have mandatory laws over there in Oz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So, this was due to happen in Galway by summer 2012.
    There has been no word, barely a whimper from the Council/related bodies. Has it been shelved?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'll respond meself.
    It's due to be rolled out in early 2014.
    Up to 250 bikes at 23 docking stations are proposed for Galway within a four-square kilometre of the city centre, and it will cost €3.8m to run over 15 years.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/city-bikes-scheme-to-be-wheeled-out-in-four-new-towns-29167796.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

snubbleste wrote: »
    I'll respond meself.
    It's due to be rolled out in early 2014.

Thank god they announced this today and not yesterday.

There is an article in todays Advertiser about the BikeShare. Cannot find an Online version. Will post again once I get the page number.

There is an article in todays Advertiser about the BikeShare. Cannot find an Online version. Will post again once I get the page number.

Page 14: http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//launch.aspx?pbid=a2fc81f2-0ccf-4dbf-aca1-00bedf4bde35

The highlights:

Estimated operating costs of €3.5m for 15 years
    23 stations with up to 250 bikes (estimated need 200-250)
    Capital cost for Galway approx €1.68m (nationally expected to be 6.4m)
    No details on proposed costs to consumers in Galway.

For comparison Dublin's current scheme is for 550 bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

250 sounds great. Any map of the proposed locations yet?

• Advertisement

http://nationaltransport.ie/downloads/Bike-Scheme-Technical-Report.pdf

page 17 has a map of potential locations for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Image captures and rotated to make it easier. I assume it's fine to pull it out like this since it's a public document.

8618698087_8b20852421_b.jpg

Frankly this is disappointing at first glance. Nothing east of the train station and in general the area covered is very small. Still, hopefully if this proves successful then more stations would be added as indicated in Phase 2 and also bikes out near and around GMIT would make sense too.

Mr_A wrote: »
    Image captures and rotated to make it easier. I assume it's fine to pull it out like this since it's a public document.

Frankly this is disappointing at first glance. Nothing east of the train station and in general the area covered is very small. Still, hopefully if this proves successful then more stations would be added as indicated in Phase 2 and also bikes out near and around GMIT would make sense too.

I think the key thing about this map is that it shows how much of Galway city is within 8 minutes by bike from the city centre. Double the the radius and you have 16 minutes.

They are assuming 15km/h which might be optimistic for a typical bikeshare bike.

Mr_A wrote: »

It seems density of drop off points is the key factor from reading the report. I'd be happy enough with what is proposed Particularly as I'll be within about 30m of one :).

They are assuming 15km/h which might be optimistic for a typical bikeshare bike.

Take a look at the Cork proposal. They've basically written off the entire northside because you couldn't get up the hills on one of them. From using them abroad, I think they've got a sort of clunky charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Hope the users are told not to go via the pedestrian routes. It is/was bad enough with the rickshaws but I wouldn't fancy a gang of people on bikes coming at me on Shop Street.

Hope the users are told not to go via the pedestrian routes. It is/was bad enough with the rickshaws but I wouldn't fancy a gang of people on bikes coming at me on Shop Street.

These aren't magic bikes. The same rules of the road apply to these as to any other bike. If you haven't seen a gang of people coming at you on bikes down shop street before, you have nothing to worry about. But it sounds like you're very determined.

I think the key thing about this map is that it shows how much of Galway city is within 8 minutes by bike from the city centre. Double the the radius and you have 16 minutes.

Good point. May have to adjust the pricing model of the scheme, i.e first 15mins free rather than 30min like in Dublin.

I am afraid thats very much a false hope. Shop street was always the natural cycling route accross the city. If I remember correctly, at the time that the city council tried to close it to bikes at the end of the 1990s it had the third highest bicycle count of any road in the city.

No attempt was made to provide viable alternative cycling routes through or around the city centre. You either had to use the docks or go via Salmon Weir bridge.

This was completely contrary to best practice on planning such pedestrian zones. I think the Germans had decided around 1983 that trying to ban cyclists from pedestrians zones was unworkable and had to be avoided. There was UK guidance on incorporating cycle routes in pedestrian zones published in 1996.

• Advertisement

No attempt was made to provide viable alternative cycling routes through or around the city centre. You either had to use the docks or go via Salmon Weir bridge.
    True. Plus using these One Way systems on a Bike add's considerable distance to your journey. Also Merchants road and Dock Road are not roads you would recommend for Novice or Young/Old Cyclists. Fast Multi Lane inner city roads.

Advertisement