Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog hit by car yesterday on Doughiska Rd..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Lapin wrote: »
    Its ok folks.

Mrs O'Bumble said she saw nothing so obviously the problem doesn't exist.
    This is all "Mountains and molehills".
    The OP is obviously full of crap and making things up.

Not enough then. Make it €695. If someone loves their dog, they'll pay.
    Or maybe not let the little frig off the lead in the first place.
    With dog ownership comes a thing called responsibility.

Its time some dog owners copped on and learned that

Small children have less ability to defend themselves against attack from dogs.

They are also more likely to attract dogs due to their size, passive nature and lack of sense in the presence of dogs.

Most dogs are aware that adults will stand up to them so they tend to back when told to.

Childen are easier prey.

Read the papers.

I hope you don't have children yourself.

I never claimed that. Not once.

But you're right. I do know how to put things right and I'm not afraid to say it.

It that upsets people then tough. Some things have to be said.

Whats your problem with that?

A lot of people get personal when things don't go their way.

Not one single person on this thread has had the balls to offer a solution to the problem of stray dogs.

Not one.

They'd much rather attack others for asking questions and making suggestions.
    Captain Balls to the rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Read the papers you say. Can you give us a link to any relevant articles, say ones about dog attacks in Doughiska?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I think the key to what we're missing here is in Lapin's username.

Bunnies are far more vulnerable to canine attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

I live in Doughiska and there is a lot of strays/leadless dogs around. I'd see 5-10 a week walking to and from work each day.

My co-worker bikes and nearly always has a sighting to tell me. His housemate is the opposite of these other dog owners. This guy 'D' pretty much never lets the poor dog out to do its business and has brought him for a walk 4 times in 3 months according to my co-worker.

Coming from Limerick I really don't understand how Galway people (at least in my area) can care for dogs so disgustingly poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

kokiyou wrote: »
    I live in Doughiska and there is a lot of strays/leadless dogs around. I'd see 5-10 a week walking to and from work each day.

My co-worker bikes and nearly always has a sighting to tell me. His housemate is the opposite of these other dog owners. This guy 'D' pretty much never lets the poor dog out to do its business and has brought him for a walk 4 times in 3 months according to my co-worker.

Coming from Limerick I really don't understand how Galway people (at least in my area) can care for dogs so disgustingly poorly.

They make the dogs work in Doughiska too, now I understand the issue, surely dogs working creates another issue, barking up the wrong tree altogether in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you see a dog that is being allowed to stray or not being cared for then report it to the GSPCA.

The law has been strengthened & allowing a dog to stray may constitute neglect as well as in breach of the control laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Craftylee

Doughiska road has lots of stray dogs (particularly up just past Centra etc). Some of the dogs are real nasty too - there owners obviously don't care about them. They're always running into the road, chasing people, barking at them. One time I was walking along and one little dog come running at me from across the road and bit hold of the bottoms of my jeans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Craftylee wrote: »
    . One time I was walking along and one little dog come running at me from across the road and bit hold of the bottoms of my jeans.

Annoying if you are an adult. Absolutely terrifying experience if you are three or four years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Surrealean

I live in Doughiska, and earlier this year someone hit a dog as I walking towards Dunnes.
    I was a bit stunned, to be honest. Oh it was a yappy little thing chasing cars anyway, and yes it shouldn't have been out in the road in the first place - but he/she just reversed, did a little swerve around, and kept going.

I worked with a vet years ago - all of 2 weeks, mind, so hardly an expert - but he only got a "box" as my grandmother would've termed it, he didn't go under the wheel, so I thought maybe I could help. And unfortunately no one else stepped forward, so...

I picked him up - I'm sure under ordinary circumstances my fingers would be taken off, but he stopped yelping in my arms. "Uh oh, shock," I think to myself.

I left him into the halting site, where a very flustered looking man gave me the impression that this sadly happens a lot, but I wasn't exactly about to start chatting about leads and fences. No idea if the little fella lived or not.

I've never heard of any dog attacks, just to pitch my two cents in on that score.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Aside from the aspect that I hope the dog wasn't in pain for too long I hope the owner of the dog was tracked down and the car driver compensated for damage to the car.

Hitting a dog can do considerable damage to a car.

You're a gob****e

• Advertisement

Pugzilla wrote: »
    You're a gob****e

I'm a gob****e because I'd be concerned about having to pay a load of money to fix my car because some fool allowed their dog to stray?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Carded for that Pugzilla
    Keep it civil people.

I'm a gob****e because I'd be concerned about having to pay a load of money to fix my car because some fool allowed their dog to stray?

If you killed my dog and caused him to suffer, I wouldn't care less what happened to your car.

Would have to be a gigantic super mutant dog to cause that much damage to a car anyways.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

If you killed my dog and caused him to suffer, I wouldn't care less what happened to your car.

No reason you should, but every reason you should pay up because it would be your fault and yours alone that the accident happened.

Why, because you are responsible for the proper keeping of your pets.
    Would have to be a gigantic super mutant dog to cause that much damage to a car anyways.....

My family had a labrador (so obviously not a gigantic super mutant dog) that got spooked one day and ran onto the road, got hit by a car (for some reason our gates were open, can't remember why).

On top of the vet's bills, the cost of the dog breaking his back was 850 in repairs to the car.

Why because we failed to keep control of our dog.

If a dog ran in front of my car thus getting killed (you would swear people were trying to hit the dogs the way you are talking :rolleyes:) then I would very much care what happened my car and if you were the owner of the dog I would be demanding compensation. Legally you are responsible for controlling the dog so you are liable for damage to my car.

A normal sized dog can do a lot of damage to a car, especially a modern car where even a small crack to a bumper etc or damaging the undertray can run into 100's of euro very fast.

Your posting towards me suggest I don't care about the dog which is totally wrong, I love dogs and animals in general but only a fool would not be concerned about the cost of fixing the car. Why should I have to pay to fix my own car if your dog damages it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

To add to this I failed my first driving test in part because I braked hard when a dog ran out in front of me. By slamming on the brakes I risked causing a more serious accident. I should have just driven on.

You also forget the trauma caused to the driver. If I killed your dog, because you let it stray, I would consider suing you because I would be very upset for the dog. Dog owners have to take responsibility.

To add to this I failed my first driving test in part because I braked hard when a dog ran out in front of me. By slamming on the brakes I risked causing a more serious accident. I should have just driven on.

Unless the car following you was tailgaiting, braking hard wouldn't cause a serious accident.

A normal sized dog can do a lot of damage to a car, especially a modern car where even a small crack to a bumper etc or damaging the undertray can run into 100's of euro very fast.

Hitting an average dog at 50k/hr wouldn't do any damage to the cosmetics of the car.

If you knocked down and killed a child that ran across the road, would you look for compensation from the parents?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Unless the car following you was tailgaiting, braking hard wouldn't cause a serious accident.

Driving test isn't about what did happen on the day - it's about how you react to and deal with different scenario. I failed my motorbike test first time round for a similar reaction as mentioned above.
    Hitting an average dog at 50k/hr wouldn't do any damage to the cosmetics of the car.

If you knocked down and killed a child that ran across the road, would you look for compensation from the parents?

This is entering well into silly argument territory and whataboutery - even a small dog can weigh 8-10kg, bigger ones anything up to 40kg. Take a rock of similar mass and chuck it at your car, and let us know the outcome.

Regarding the child scenario, social sensitivities dictate that we probably wouldn't, no, but if someone was careless about taking care of their dog, and let it wander out onto the road where it did €1000 worth of damage to my car, I'd certainly be talking to the owner. Same rules apply out in the countryside - farmers are responsible for any damage caused by their livestock, so why shouldn't the same rules apply?

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    You also forget the trauma caused to the driver. If I killed your dog, because you let it stray, I would consider suing you because I would be very upset for the dog. Dog owners have to take responsibility.

Nice try. PTSD can only be diagnosed if the trauma involved a genuine risk to your own life.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Driving test isn't about what did happen on the day - it's about how you react to and deal with different scenario. I failed my motorbike test first time round for a similar reaction as mentioned above.

Nice try, but I've a motorbike. Can't fail the test for braking too hard unless you lock up the front wheel. They have emergency speed reduction exercise in the test for a reason....

mike_ie wrote: »

This is entering well into silly argument territory and whataboutery - even a small dog can weigh 8-10kg, bigger ones anything up to 40kg. Take a rock of similar mass and chuck it at your car, and let us know the outcome.

Neighbours dog was killed when a car hit him at over 80km/hr. No damage done to car and the driver didn't try to sue the owner.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Nice try, but I've a motorbike. Can't fail the test for braking too hard unless you lock up the front wheel. They have emergency speed reduction exercise in the test for a reason....

Actually you can, and I did. Back in 1996 if that helps.
    Neighbours dog was killed when a car hit him at over 80km/hr. No damage done to car and the driver didn't try to sue the owner.

A neighbour of mine walked away from a high speed head-on collision without a scratch on him a few years back. Ergo, nobody dies in high speed collisions??

Nice try. PTSD can only be diagnosed if the trauma involved a genuine risk to your own life.

Nice try ? :confused: I didn't mention PTSD ? Of course your post is rubbish. Distress can be caused by many things & it would be for a Court to decide, not you.

Your child analogy is equally ridiculous. AFAIK we don't have a parental responsibility law. The only way that a car can hit a dog is if the owner breaks the law. I accept that you could have a borderline issue where, for example, the owner momentarily loses control of the dog.

Yes it will. I saw the damage done to my aunts car, the front bumper was cracked and bits broken off and had to be replaced with a band new one on a car that (if I remember correctly) was only a few months old at the time. I also saw my fathers car a number of years ago when he hit a dog, it ripped of the engine under-tray and cost a few hundred to be replaced, unfortunately in this instance the owner could not be found so he had to pay the money himself. A dog can do far more damage then you appear to believe.

Even a few scratches will cost money to fix, money which I personally would not be willing to let go just because an animal died.

As another poster mentioned how farmers can and do get into serious trouble if their animals cause a crash? If a cow is out on the road and destroys a car should the farmer be exempt from blame because a cow died?

What would happen in a situation with a child or person is irrelevant to this situation. Yes many people including myself get attached to animals and almost see them as people but at the end of the day they are not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement