Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[CoD MW3] General News and Discussion

• 07-01-2011 7:29pm
    Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

A source within the industry who has previously leaked other information when I was writing for Xboxic (leaks include confirming Black Op's March 2010, Naming Kinect before E3 May 2010, First Gears 3 Images April 2010, amongst others) has informed me that an upcoming Call of Duty title from Infinity Ward will not be created on an all new game engine, and will not be released this year under the title of Modern Warfare 3!

It has been alleged that Infinity Ward are creating a game that will focus on the character Ghost who first appeared in Modern Warfare 2, this game will centre around the events leading up to the war in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare as a prequel, and then further reveal how Ghost first became a member of Task Force 141 based on the comic book stories written by David Lapham. In various parts of the game that will focus on the life of Ghost - players will revisit locations from both Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2, but this time from a different viewpoint.

Although entirely a rumour - the game is meant to be in development on the Modern Warfare 2 engine. Robert Bowling (Infinity Ward's Community Manager) was contacted, but has neither confirmed or denied the rumours.

When an official announcement from both Activision and Infinity Ward is made regarding the Call of Duty title currently in development - we'll be sure to post it.

Opinions?

Not entirely sure what to think of a prequel tbh.

I don't have any quarrels with as the MW2 engine being used because frankly, it's excellent(zomg I praised MW2 for something, take a picture! ;))

Oh and also rumored are SP and MP maps being combined from both COD4 and MW2.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Yay Infinity Ward!

I never played the SP in MW2 or Black Ops and have no intention of doing so on MW3 so bring on the prequel for all I care :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

you'd need to be daft to buy a cod game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

preytec wrote: »

:facepalm: seriously not the right place to say that :p

preytec wrote: »

LOOK-They-see-me-trollin.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=TrollFacer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yay Infinity Ward!

I never played the SP in MW2 or Black Ops
    and have no intention of doing so on MW3 so bring on the prequel for all I care :D

How come? theres some fantastic moments in both

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

would prefer to see a conclusion to the trilogy and a resolution for soap and price but it's difficult to see a game like that being created now that infinity ward have lost most of their key staff.

it would be strange to have ghost take on the role of the silent protagonist but if they manage to create a game with a good mix of stealth and action and give it a somewhat decent story then i will definitely buy it.

i have no problems with them re-using the MW2 engine, it works brilliantly. don't forget they still have to develop for 6 year old hardware!

krudler wrote: »
    How come? theres some fantastic moments in both

I just never had interest in it. Played a few levels of MW1 in in my friends house and when I got the game myself, just went straight online.

Guess I just prefer the fast paced action of online. Plus the verbal abuse you can give people is a bonus :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I wish they would bring out a game with map from places like Dublin/Belfast/London.. with real details :) so it feels like your fighing in Dublin City... Lets reenact the famous Battle of Tallaght :) (Tallaght Map would be needed :) ) -- Maybe in MW4 ??

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Fúck IW

Although, as always, I look forward to queing in tesco at midnight for this...

If they fix all the current issues with this game, I will jizz

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

<snip>

<snip>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

<snip>

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

anybody except treyfail

but truth be told series is really boring at this stage, its pretty repetitive.

In fairness though Blops is a waay more secure game than MW2. No infectious modded lobbies etc.

oh your right there but mw2 didnt make my ps3 freeze, good connections, hitmakers alot better etc etc

if you could put mw2 and ops together and take out the bad bits you would have one of best FPS's ever

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Once they have dedicated servers (pc) and a finished product that works then I might be interested. Definally will wait a week or two to maybe unlike that shite Blops.

Have alot more faith in IW than Failarch to make a enjoyable game too.

Still hoping EA or some other company ups their game and takes over from the COD series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Should let Treyarch and Infinity Ward get together to collaborate on a game. Leave the game engine, physics and graphics to IW and let Treyarch handle maps, perks and game types.

Then, they're just might be a close to flawless CoD.

RMD wrote: »
    Should let Treyarch and Infinity Ward get together to collaborate on a game. Leave the game engine, physics and graphics to IW and let Treyarch handle maps, perks and game types.

Then, they're just might be a close to flawless CoD.

Somehow I just don't see that happening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The thing is, its going to be either incredibly different from cod4/mw2 or it'll be almost a clone of MW2. Almost the entire core is now working for EA now so i'd expect respawns first game to be more similar to the previous MW games than MW3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

I gonna get killed for saying this but a game like BFBC2 combined with COD would be the best way to make a game.

I gonna get killed for saying this but a game like BFBC2 combined with COD would be the best way to make a game.

... combined how ? lol

Thats like saying, the best way to make a racing game would be to combine GT5 and Froza ! :P

Like knifing in BFBC2 is not a super jump across the map and its kinda more tactical
    And put in CODs weapons and maps=Unreal fun.

Holy F*ck sticks, I actually agree with Magill :eek:!!!!

:pac:

lol, so bf knifing and everything else from cod haha :D

And you love me rapist

Ye exactly and controllable tanks.

id get rid of prone, bigger maps than ops, no claymores. That's just stuff off the top of my head

Magill wrote: »

And you love me rapist

Where would I be without ya buddy :p

Ye exactly and controllable tanks.

Talking about Tanks, I got in my first tank in BFF and lol the state of me trying to drive the damn thing, i eventually bailed from it :D

• Advertisement

When I was in my first I didnt even move and I died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

i feel it'll just seem like an mw2 expansion pack. As is said with the news of a cod game each year i hope they fix issues blah blah blah but in reality they wont get them all. Remember the hope we had for treyarch? Remember how poorly iw supported their game? Rose tinted glasses and all that.

Battle of Tallght?! So the Opposing Force would be scumbags in Celtic Jerseys? instead of a ballistic knife you could have an AIDs contaminated syringe :eek:

No no no.. read

http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/Handcock/tallaght18.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Kersmash wrote: »
    i feel it'll just seem like an mw2 expansion pack. As is said with the news of a cod game each year i hope they fix issues blah blah blah but in reality they wont get them all. Remember the hope we had for treyarch? Remember how poorly iw supported their game? Rose tinted glasses and all that.

IW didn't support their game because Activision fired most of their staff shortly after MW2 was released, so there was no one left to patch it. I for one am looking forward to another IW game, Bops has basically destroyed my PS3, fcuking freezing ever hour, host migrations rarely working, and you can't even escape from games like in MW2 because the fcuking join session yolk is built into it, ridiculous. Treyarch maps are sh1te, there's not one map I look forward to, not like MW2 where terminal, highrise and skidrow could save any sh1te cod session. ak74u's everywhere, sniping fcuking ruined, it just isn't as addictive and enjoyable as MW2 or CoD4.

tbf isnt the UMP wide spread in MW2 too?

NeVeR wrote: »

TL;DR

Cliff notes please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

IMO this sounds to be about right. I mean activision are notorious for being cash hungry in a BIG way and they know people want a resolution to the MW2 story (it was the first thing I thought after I cleared the SP), with the release roster of one a year it seems like their thinking is that they can "tease" us back into the MW storyline for another year with this before a conclusion to MW2s story.

It would also allow them time to wrap up the legal battle with west and zampella AND by that stage the outlook will be clear if they can get away with a pay monthly COD service with is something Activision are wet for.

I would buy this alright, the Ghost character was interesting and warranted his own game. I still am looking forward to a wrap up to mw2s story where soap and price operate outside of task force 141 or any agency but if they bring it back to the likes of mw1s story style ... aka semi realistic ... then I am in.

TL;DR

Cliff notes please

I didn't read it.........

Headshot wrote: »
    id get rid of prone, bigger maps than ops, no claymores. That's just stuff off the top of my head

I'd certainly agree with prone to be quite honest, or possibly make it a perk? I know BF:BC has a completely different style of gameplay but the fact that there is no prone seriously helps cut down on potential camping. If a player in CoD can't go prone it cuts down the amount of areas available to camp, if they can only crouch then the only available areas are behind cover essentially or darkened corners, and we'd all learn those very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

So with IW back making this it means 3 companies will be making call of duty games. Treyarch and sledgehammer being the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Opinions?

Not entirely sure what to think of a prequel tbh.

I don't have any quarrels with as the MW2 engine being used because frankly, it's excellent(zomg I praised MW2 for something, take a picture! ;))

Oh and also rumored are SP and MP maps being combined from both COD4 and MW2.

Personally, I don't want that to happen, If I buy a new game, I want something new, not old. I didn't like it too much when mw2 got map packs that contained old maps from MW1.. all they done was "fine tune some colour".. A new game should be NEW, not old maps,

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Jet Black wrote: »
    So with IW back making this it means 3 companies will be making call of duty games. Treyarch and sledgehammer being the other two.

Sledgehammer have me a tad worried despite their reputation. Rumours of them making a futuristic COD is not appealing. Not appealing IF they go the Halo route that is. I'am totally down with something similar to Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter timeline though which is like 5-10 years into the future if I'm not mistaken. I reckon it's the latter. We'll find out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

Why are you here? ;)

This has been rumored since MW2 release.

well i bought the games and have seen them drag it down the toilet. so i have the right to post up my opinion. also i seen this post on the main menu and clicked into it. i didn't lookup cod in games nor do i make it a practice to do such a thing.

iw use the user's own pc's as server, that's a practice that has destroyed mw2. also it will make the game short lived as clans don't bother much with it. my own clan were going to make the move to codbo but after seen how bad it was and how restricted it is. we decided it's best not too. by trying to destroy the hackers all they've done is destroy their own online community. oo and the hackers didn't get stopped. in fact a lot of them got l4d2 for free, strange punishment. i've as much faith in IW to make a great game as i do scientology been the one true religion. but it wasn't so much as the problem with the game that annoyed me. it was the way they handled the faults. that total blackout they did was just not on at all.

so yes you have to be daft or worse to buy cod, especially if IW do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

NeVeR wrote: »
    I wish they would bring out a game with map from places like Dublin/Belfast/London.. with real details :) so it feels like your fighing in Dublin City... Lets reenact the famous Battle of Tallaght :) (Tallaght Map would be needed :) ) -- Maybe in MW4 ??

While I do know that Counter-Strike: Source is not a Call of Duty game :pac:, there is a Belfast mini mod for CSS called "Block H". I'm assuming this would be something like what you'd like in a future CoD game?

Linky here

And now back to yer discussing MW3 and all that.

giggsy664 wrote: »
    While I do know that Counter-Strike: Source is not a Call of Duty game :pac:, there is a Belfast mini mod for CSS called "Block H". I'm assuming this would be something like what you'd like in a future CoD game?

Linky here

And now back to yer discussing MW3 and all that.

One of the reasons why CoD will never be as good as cs :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

http://kotaku.com/5739152/report-modern-warfare-3-coming-in-november-spin+off-delayed-to-get-it-done

Seems to contradict other reports of a Ghost-centric spin-off. They also suggest that Raven and IW are doing the multi-player, leaving the single player to Sledghammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Abit like medal of honor then, Think this would benefit the game more, letting IW concentrate fully on the MP and leaving the SP in the capable hands at sledgehammer

It's been a November release date for the last 4 games, no surprise there. With the involvement of more companies than just IW, we might actually see a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

This Infinity Ward is not the same one that we know though. I'm optimistic though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

if its the old IW coding with new IW approach to cheap perks and fixing whats wrong ala Treyarch then it could be amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

krudler wrote: »
    if its the old IW coding with new IW approach to cheap perks and fixing whats wrong ala Treyarch then it could be amazing

Yep, here's hoping!

• Advertisement
Advertisement