Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness/Nutrition For Beginners

Options
  • 13-10-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey Guys - I'm new to boards. I have however been in the Iron Game for quiet some time. If you have any questions on fitness and or nutrition you can post them here. If I don't know the answer chances are one of my colleagues does so I'll do my best to help you out...

No such thing as a silly question...

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

I have been lifting weights the past two years and have made good progress going from 68 kg to 78 kg .. my body fat is around 14-16 %

My main goal is to gain weight but geta 6 pack as well .. i am kinda defined but not as good as id like .. My weights routeine is mainly set around 5 sets 12/12/10/8/8 and trying to increase weight eatch time ..

My diet is probly letting me down ...

I try to eat as much as possiable ..

Porrage or crunchy nut for breakfast .. protein shake .

dinner is spuds veg and meat,protein shake

might have sandwich after this around 4 in eve ..

Then most nites its scrambled eggs or pasta for tea ..

protein shake after gym in eve and possiable more crunchy nut or pasta after ..

what more can i add into my diet ????? alos whats best ab exercises ?

cheers

bk1991

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

bk1991 wrote: »
    I have been lifting weights the past two years and have made good progress going from 68 kg to 78 kg .. my body fat is around 14-16 %

My main goal is to gain weight but geta 6 pack as well .. i am kinda defined but not as good as id like .. My weights routeine is mainly set around 5 sets 12/12/10/8/8 and trying to increase weight eatch time ..

My diet is probly letting me down ...

I try to eat as much as possiable ..

Porrage or crunchy nut for breakfast .. protein shake .

dinner is spuds veg and meat,protein shake

might have sandwich after this around 4 in eve ..

Then most nites its scrambled eggs or pasta for tea ..

protein shake after gym in eve and possiable more crunchy nut or pasta after ..

what more can i add into my diet ????? alos whats best ab exercises ?

cheers

bk1991

I doubt your doing the level of training required to see abs while consuming that amount of carbs.

If you want to see abs maintain or increase your calories, calories should just come from good fats and protein. Keep carbs to about 50g coming from above the ground growing veg. Up your weights too.

But you will loose weight so I guess this doesn't help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Cheat Meal Master

Hi BK,

First off - how are you tracking your progress? How often do you track?

Best ab exercises? Honestly - squats and deads and pulls work the abs immensely but you probably dont wanna hear that :)

Plank variations and hanging work are great for the abs too.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Im about 2 stone overweight through a combination of bad eating habits (lots of carbs late at night) and had to give up pitch n putt during the week due to longer working hours. I want to get back into fitness again so have joined a gym last week, but am not sure what the best equipment or regime to shed the weight would be? Was in a gym few years ago and did half hour on the treadmill, half hour on crosstrainer and about 15 mins on the bike, not much variety outside of this.

Is there a specific programme or order to which I should use the gym equipment in order to help shed the weight? Im not into bulky weights (Im bulky enough!) and my weight is mostly on my stomach and chest. Im male :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Cheat Meal Master

Hi Wanderer,

A combination of resistance training (with weights, bodyweight etc.) combined with conditioning work would be your best bet.

While cardio machines have there place in training they are not the most efficient tool for shedding weight.

Have you experience with resistance training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Hi Wanderer,

A combination of resistance training (with weights, bodyweight etc.) combined with conditioning work would be your best bet.

While cardio machines have there place in training they are not the most efficient tool for shedding weight.

Thanks for reply, I dont really know the ins and outs of cardio and resistance etc, when I went to gym before I only used the treadmill and bike and crosstrainer, everything else was alien for me. Im more open to using the equipment now and whatever would help me shed the weight would be more than welcome. What would you advise I use, I plan 3 hour long visits to the gym per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Hi Wanderer,

Why would you say cardio isn't efficient for shedding weight? As far as excercises go it's probably the most effective and easiest way to burn calories.

Obviously you don't need to do cardio to lose weight; you don't need to excercise at all to lose weight, but if you're looking to end the day with calorie deficit it's a pretty helpful way of going about it.

Advertisement