Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

How many people were there today? There were 29 the day I did mine.

There was 39 I think? 4 groups of 8, last group was only 7. I agree with mickaleen about the girls fail on push up form. It really depended on which instructor you got, some people were definitely not perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Rothmans wrote: »
    Oh that sounds terrible. Did they tell you that you failed that section on the day. Or did they mistakenly send you an email saying that you failed?

No just a straight out fail at stage 3. Safe to say the belly fell out of me for a few days, but just shows to keep at it and you'll get there. Same for the physical, keep plugging away in the gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

No just a straight out fail at stage 3. Safe to say the belly fell out of me for a few days, but just shows to keep at it and you'll get there. Same for the physical, keep plugging away in the gym

Oh right. I thought you meant in the physical itself! Either way it'd be a bit of a blow to ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

I was also in today and passed, It's a great feeling and I'm glad to have it done :)

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    I was also in today and passed, It's a great feeling and I'm glad to have it done :)

Good stuff. They didn't give you any info regarding the next intake, did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

I think the person should appeal as technically she was failed on a trial run. Would they have a case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Rothmans wrote: »
    Good stuff. They didn't give you any info regarding the next intake, did they?

Wasn't told anything today however last I heard they were short people on the first intake hence the PCT today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

mickaleen wrote: »
    I think the person should appeal as technically she was failed on a trial run. Would they have a case?

I would imagine so!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    Wasn't told anything today however last I heard they were short people on the first intake hence the PCT today!

Its mad if this is true, I sat my PCT in the first batch and I was in the 170s, for them not to have enough over 33% would have to have failed , this is a massive number. I wonder are they not passing peoples background checks for silly little fines and the likes. I would love if they just told us that our background was cleared and we are in line to be taken.

Lojak wrote: »
    Its mad if this is true, I sat my PCT in the first batch and I was in the 170s, for them not to have enough over 33% would have to have failed , this is a massive number. I wonder are they not passing peoples background checks for silly little fines and the likes. I would love if they just told us that our background was cleared and we are in line to be taken.

Ah yeah but don't forget that people weren't exactly invited to stage 5 in order of merit i.e. there would have been people below you (eg placed 140) that weren't initially invited to stage 5 for whatever reason. Also, you must remember there weren't an insignificant number of fails/deferrals for medical also. Taking this into account, I can see why they might have come up a little short on numbers.

On the bright side we are liable to hear some good news any time from here on out!

• Advertisement

Well done my friend.

Hey Rothmans, are you reading the quote above? Whats that... an apology? Oh, what is that you are cooking..mmmmm ..... Humble Pie!

All joking aside. Lets be pleased that another group have passed their fitness tests and that we sre a step closer to Templemore. I forgive you for wrongly accusing me of misleading others.

Im sure you are a great guy and that we will get on well together. We can have a pint in September. Well dobe everyone!!

What number , or general whereabouts, on the panel are ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

Im in the top 120

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Lojak wrote: »

i doubt they'd go through the expense of putting a candidate through all the stages only for them to fail for fines or somthing minor. i'd be suprised if that was the case..

I know lots of lads finding work so that could be an explanation..

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Haven't been keeping up to date on this, was the final set of PCTs yesterday? Congrats to all who passed. Realistically we should expect an email in the next week??

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

On a lighter note, does anybody know how long the swimming pool is in Templemore? Will we be able to use it in the evenings? Thanks.

20times wrote: »
    Haven't been keeping up to date on this, was the final set of PCTs yesterday? Congrats to all who passed. Realistically we should expect an email in the next week??

I think we should have another mass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

On a lighter note, does anybody know how long the swimming pool is in Templemore? Will we be able to use it in the evenings? Thanks.
    Old info but I reckon it wouldn't be far off the current situation.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54972613&postcount=8024

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

25m and yep we'll be able to use it in the evenings. There's a fairly decent gym down there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BluesAndThrees

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/dublin/online-academies-18-65/42344806

Anyone think this would be of any benefit at all? Particularly for someone hoping to be in the first intake, definitely the second! Or is it all a load of ****?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/dublin/online-academies-18-65/42344806

Anyone think this would be of any benefit at all? Particularly for someone hoping to be in the first intake, definitely the second! Or is it all a load of ****?

Load of s***e.

Criminology is so complex that it can't be covered in an online course or over a 10 week period. There are a number of these courses offered by small colleges and on their own do not benefit anyone's career prospects.

Load of s***e.

Criminology is so complex that it can't be covered in an online course or over a 10 week period. There are a number of these courses offered by small colleges and on their own do not benefit anyone's career prospects.

I agree that this course would not be very beneficial - the price says it all!

But no education is wasted and part time evening courses can be built up and added to make a great CV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

WilcoOut wrote: »
    I agree that this course would not be very beneficial - the price says it all!

But no education is wasted and part time evening courses can be built up and added to make a great CV

I do different certificates all the time just to add to my CV. Did an MTA last month and plan on doing another soon, just to keep me busy and keep the CV ticking over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I'd rather do a certified course like FETAC or HETAC. I'm doing legal studies next year. I'm sure it'll look impressive and it's something I'm into anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Wondering ''how can I pass my medical?''

Water and bananas boys and girls, water and bananas

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20378:gentleman-brian-retires-from-gardai&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

D Trent wrote: »
    Wondering ''how can I pass my medical?''

Water and bananas boys and girls, water and bananas

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20378:gentleman-brian-retires-from-gardai&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

He was too light ! Insane haha he must have been like a rake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

That time you had to be above a certain chest measurement so that could have been his problem too

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BluesAndThrees

Go raibh maith agaibh for the replies re the criminology course! Much appreciated

Losing.
    Will.
    To.
    Live.

How much longer?!?!?! :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Think someone should ring and annoy them today and ask when. I'd do it myself but dont think ive time in work!!

Think someone should ring and annoy them today and ask when. I'd do it myself but dont think ive time in work!!

I was on to them the week before last and was basically told "keep an eye on your email over the coming weeks". Painful. I wonder have they got a date yet of when they will be releasing the results. They must, surely!

• Advertisement

I was on to them the week before last and was basically told "keep an eye on your email over the coming weeks". Painful. I wonder have they got a date yet of when they will be releasing the results. They must, surely!

They will have all of their results by today surely after the last fitness test on monday. Its a matter of them going through it probably yesterday and today and then they can release anytime after that. Be worth a call though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ted878

Rang them there. Was told they still don't have a start date so can't issue the offers.

Ted878 wrote: »
    Rang them there. Was told they still don't have a start date so can't issue the offers.

Great news altogether

:(

This is beyond infuriating :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

I'm dying. Someone. Please. Just end it. The wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

I only completed my pct on Monday and already feel a bit anxious, can't imagine how people who did their pcts last month are feeling!

It was officially announced about two weeks ago so surely they have a date but maybe it has to be confirmed from above! Hopefully early next week now!!! So frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

Was in touch with office today and was told that offers will be released by the end of next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ted878

Dongaz wrote: »
    Was in touch with office today and was told that offers will be released by the end of next week.

So it all depends on who you talk to in there. I really hope your right.

So it all depends on who you talk to in there. I really hope your right.

Doesnt inspire too much confidence in the reliability of the info. Those folk in HRM are the second last people to know the start date - we're the last!!

Id say they have nightmares about ringing phones and garda recruitment queries!!

• Advertisement

I don't understand why they can't issue our results anyway, why is it so vital that they have an exact start date before they release them?! We know it's some time in September, like.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Until they have a start date they can't make us an offer. An open-ended job-offer doesn't make any kind of sense if you think about it. How could we hand in our notice without knowing when it is that we will need to leave? You would be no better off in reality than you are now.

Only when everything is set in stone will the offers be made and given the rumoured start date is 'early september' I don't expect word until 'early August' - which is anything up to the 8th by my reckoning.

Until they have a start date they can't make us an offer. An open-ended job-offer doesn't make any kind of sense if you think about it. How could we hand in our notice without knowing when it is that we will need to leave? You would be no better off in reality than you are now.

Only when everything is set in stone will the offers be made and given the rumoured start date is 'early september' I don't expect word until 'early August' - which is anything up to the 8th by my reckoning.

Out of decency alone, they could at least email the first 105 (or whatever the exact intake number is) to let them know they have cleared the vetting and have been offered a place in the first intake, with exact dates to follow shortly blah blah blah. We have been completely left in the dark. Finding snippets of info where we can from the press and heresay. It's very unfair. My employment contract ended in late May. I didn't sign on then, as we were repeatedly told that July 21st was the start date. Then we hear nothing and my savings are running out. So, I was left having to trudge in to my local SWO two weeks ago. A place I was hoping to avoid forever more tbh! :-P I guess I'm just so disappointed with how the latter end of this campaign has been managed. :-/

Guys.. this will happen.

Just be patient. How long have you waited for the new recruitment drive since the embargo ? Years. 4 or 5 I'd say depending on your age. This is only a matter of 2 weeks, or days.
    Surely you can stick it out and wait.
    You'll be serving for 30 years plus, enjoy your civi time like someone said the other day.

Come on now. Hold it together

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Guys.. this will happen.

Just be patient. How long have you waited for the new recruitment drive since the embargo ? Years. 4 or 5 I'd say depending on your age. This is only a matter of 2 weeks, or days.
    Surely you can stick it out and wait.
    You'll be serving for 30 years plus, enjoy your civi time like someone said the other day.

Come on now. Hold it together
    Well said.

mickaleen wrote: »
    Well said.

Thanks Mick. Was on the old panel for all of those years of the embargo so I know the drill. Stick it out and wait cause its happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

I don't understand why they can't issue our results anyway, why is it so vital that they have an exact start date before they release them?! We know it's some time in September, like.

I agree they should tell people if they passed the vetting, but I imagine the reason they wouldn't give any offers until the start date is announced is because it gives them more time for vetting to come back for the people high in the order of merit a better chance of being in the first class like they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

I agree they should tell people if they passed the vetting, but I imagine the reason they wouldn't give any offers until the start date is announced is because it gives them more time for vetting to come back for the people high in the order of merit a better chance of being in the first class like they deserve.

Speaking of order of merit, I wonder how high up the list the first class will be dipped into? Any guesses anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Speaking of order of merit, I wonder how high up the list the first class will be dipped into? Any guesses anyone?

Id say they are up to the 150-160 mark at this stage, due to the amount of fails/drop outs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Shifty13 wrote: »
    Id say they are up to the 150-160 mark at this stage, due to the amount of fails/drop outs

I hope you're right! It'd be great to be in the first class.

Advertisement