Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Crazy Example of Irish Railway Walter Mittyism?

Options
  • 30-09-2014 7:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Mine has to be the guy who was going to purchase NIR back in the 1990's and convert the entire network to the 'same gauge as the mainland' to run container trains.

He was given a sizeable media platform and I even recall the British railway magazines posting the idea making comments such as 'The GWR changed gauge in a weekend..." Even the IRRS Newsletter gave him a fair hearing and report. Big money was forthcoming, all the plans and customers in place, etc

Turned out he was just some guy with a photo-copied letter head and a pound in his bank account and nothing else.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"Local lines" or whatever the crayon and PowerPoint proposal to reopen virtually every closed line as a luas. Media covered what was basically someone drawing over the viceregal commission map as a real possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

This crowd would qualify for a Walter Mitty award. http://blog.tralee.org/?s=tralee+dingle+railway

yard3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the only advantage having the same gauge as Mainland Europe (see what I did there?) is being able to ship in stock secondhand or off the shelf when the need arises. Until the bridge or tunnel is built there is no point in changing the gauge.

And not forgetting Mr.Trebus..:D

_57528857_000491199-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This crowd would qualify for a Walter Mitty award. http://blog.tralee.org/?s=tralee+dingle+railway

yard3.jpg

Call it a hunch, but think that site didn't have an update with quite some time.

Recall hearing another madcap scheme to relay the Valentia branch to metre gauge and re-open it. Not surprisingly nothing came of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

to be fair they DO have a loco on actual tracks... or some of it at least

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

MYOB wrote: »
    "Local lines" or whatever the crayon and PowerPoint proposal to reopen virtually every closed line as a luas. Media covered what was basically someone drawing over the viceregal commission map as a real possibility.

http://www.invectis.co.uk/cork/Local%20Lines%20WEST%20CORK%20RAIL.pdf

utterly feasible :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I like the West Cork 'plan' but it will never happen. Light rail on the Cork, Blackrock & Passage formation would be nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I like the West Cork 'plan' but it will never happen. Light rail on the Cork, Blackrock & Passage formation would be nice though.
    Not a hope:(, pedestrians now have possesion of that line. You won't shift them too easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I remember a piece on one of the local papers, examiner/echo can't remember which reported on "the proposed tunnell" between Rosslare and Fishguard costing slightly more than what the channel tunnell was just after costing, despite the Rosslare-Fishguard one being 30-40 miles longer. Must have been a very quite news day.

What about our 'friends' in the New Ross branch group? Shouldn't they be relaying track right about now?
    Oh right....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

roundymac wrote: »
    Not a hope:(, pedestrians now have possesion of that line. You won't shift them too easily.

I think they would happily shift if it meant less traffic chaos along there in the mornings!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Doesn't need to be Walter Mitty stuff, either. What about the Luas shunting engine that didn't match the Luas guage. It had about ten feet of rail to itself and could go nowhere.

regards
    Stovepipe

I think they would happily shift if it meant less traffic chaos along there in the mornings!

No, used mainly for 'leisure'. Think you'll get a lot of cyclists, joggers/runners, dog walkers, moms and pops with strollers objecting.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Doesn't need to be Walter Mitty stuff, either. What about the Luas shunting engine that didn't match the Luas guage. It had about ten feet of rail to itself and could go nowhere.

regards
    Stovepipe

Any more info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

regards
    Stovepipe

I think you are talking about the two diesel units that luas contractors used during construction. They were always of the 4ft 8 1/2 gauge.

Stovepipe must be an Irish newspaper journalist. 'Luas is the wrong gauge...' etc.

I recall two German diesel locomotives on the LUAS Green Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 seagoebox

What about the driving trailer purchased by NIR that never turned a wheel in service?, and surely the Gatwicks barely earned the cost of repainting !
    The proposed driving trailer project from the International Mark 3 set must also have soaked up quite a bit of money.

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Stovepipe must be an Irish newspaper journalist. 'Luas is the wrong gauge...' etc.

I recall two German diesel locomotives on the LUAS Green Line.

Nearly.:D

France. Apparently one of them is at the Red Cow depot to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

No, used mainly for 'leisure'. Think you'll get a lot of cyclists, joggers/runners, dog walkers, moms and pops with strollers objecting.
    fcuk them. they can object away if they want, but if a light rail system is ever to be put along the route then along the route it will go and they will have to get over it and walk somewhere else.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Nearly.

France. Apparently one of them is at the Red Cow depot to this day.

any idea what happened the other one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

It's true.Unbelievers! Friend of mine was working there and showed me pics of them. Luas was full of stuff like that, such as Spanish and french carriages being wired differently so that they could not be hooked up so a tram had to be all-French or all-Spanish but not both.

It's true.Unbelievers! Friend of mine was working there and showed me pics of them. Luas was full of stuff like that, such as Spanish and french carriages being wired differently so that they could not be hooked up so a tram had to be all-French or all-Spanish but not both.

LOL!

I'm not sure LOL is good enough for that, as it sounds like absolute BS.

any idea what happened the other one?

Vandalised.

fcuk them. they can object away if they want, but if a light rail system is ever to be put along the route then along the route it will go and they will have to get over it and walk somewhere else.

Very good. What will you be financing this project with? Shirtbuttons perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

It's a moot point anyways. I'm fairly sure Sewage pipes were installed under the path when the new system was built in the late 90's. Can't build over them!

Very good. What will you be financing this project with? Shirtbuttons perhaps?

em, nothing? did you read the post? i said "if a light rail system is ever to be put along the route" not "a light rail system is going to be put along the route" . but thats not going to happen so it doesn't matter

• Advertisement

em, nothing?

Nothing will come of nothing. That's your first stumbling block before you even consider pipes or walkers. You seem to have the notion that walkers and cyclists have no lobbying power and can be brushed aside, you've probably never heard of a bunch called Sustrans....

Advertisement