Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bands who legitimately never had a bad album

Options
  • 25-01-2016 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Are there any bands out there where every album they released was rated well by critics, sold well and was generally regarded as being good by their fans?

The 80s was a rough time for a lot of the great, Dylan and the Stones released some guff. The 90s were a hard time for Bowie with some of his less stellar stuff released.

Only going with studio albums. Live albums, cover albums and best ofs don't really count in my opinion, and obviously no point in looking at bands that only had one album (the Avalanches, Minor Threat)

The only onesI can think of off the top of my head is Rage Against theMachine (three albums, Evil Empire is probably the weakest, but still holdswell in its own right) and Arcade Fire (pretty much each release has been aserious hit)

Any other bands you can think of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,628 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Joy Division

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

The Smiths
    The Blue Nile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'd say The Stone Roses, even though it's only 2 albums.

Maybe Sigur Ros - but I've never listened to Von. So haven't the full picture. But they haven't made a bad album since.

Nirvana??

Nine Inch Nails

The American metal band Tool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

The National

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Judas priest! Although I haven't listened their recent stuff they've released a huge amount of albums with only one that 'divided opinion'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Polly Harvey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Sparklehorse.

The Smiths.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Wilco, Super Furry Animals, White stripes

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Muse

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Are there any bands out there where every album they released was rated well by critics, sold well and was generally regarded as being good by their fans?

The 80s was a rough time for a lot of the great, Dylan and the Stones released some guff. The 90s were a hard time for Bowie with some of his less stellar stuff released.

Only going with studio albums. Live albums, cover albums and best ofs don't really count in my opinion, and obviously no point in looking at bands that only had one album (the Avalanches, Minor Threat)

The only onesI can think of off the top of my head is Rage Against theMachine (three albums, Evil Empire is probably the weakest, but still holdswell in its own right) and Arcade Fire (pretty much each release has been aserious hit)

Any other bands you can think of?

Radiohead have released loads of albums in wildly differing styles of music and I don't think any of them are bad albums. Some people don't like Pablo Honey because it's so different from the later work but for what it was, a indy guitar sound it had some great tracks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

The Cure

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Depeche Mode.

Not everyone's cup of tea but throughout all the experimentation and evolution the core remains very special.

Portishead

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Talking Heads
    Steely Dan
    The Black Keys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Zeek12 wrote:
    Talking Heads

Not a big fan of "Naked"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd say Ween.

Heavy amount of personal bias on my part, they are my favourite band. But I like to think that them being so awesome has a lot to do with why I like them so much.

In nine studio albums, I don't think I could legitimately call one "bad". Some are more special in my eyes than others, but they all have their time and place.

I'd say Ween.

Heavy amount of personal bias on my part, they are my favourite band. But I like to think that them being so awesome has a lot to do with why I like them so much.

In nine studio albums, I don't think I could legitimately call one "bad". Some are more special in my eyes than others, but they all have their time and place.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Arctic Monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Pearl Jam.

25 years worth of albums and not one bad one amongst them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I think quite a few of these suggestions fall down on the 'sold well' part of the listed criteria in the opening post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

The Stooges...

Oh wait, I just remembered their last 2 albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

MBV, Red House Painters, Cocteau Twins, The Frank and Walters, LCD Soundsytem, Stereolab.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Soundgarden
    Led Zeppelin
    Pearl Jam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Soundgarden
    Led Zeppelin
    Pearl Jam

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've been in several bands. Never released an album.

I'd have to say, I've a remarkable track record in never releasing a bad album!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Arghus wrote: »
    I'd say Ween.

Nice! My wife used to despise Ween but she's even come around to GodWeenSatan now. I put it down to expoure therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Pighead wrote: »
    I think quite a few of these suggestions fall down on the 'sold well' part of the listed criteria in the opening post.

And the critical acclaim bit too, but I'm happy to let it run

jooksavage wrote: »
    Nice! My wife used to despise Ween but she's even come around to GodWeenSatan now. I put it down to expoure therapy.

In my experience they can work their charms on almost anyone, if given enough time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Tindersticks

Advertisement