Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€65m on Irish road signs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I never heard this expression till I emigrated to England in the 70s. But why do IRISH people use it so pejoratively against themselves? What other nation or people would say something like this against themselves? Are we so colonialised that we accept and internalise the oppressors prejudice as regards our inferiority?

It is like somebody having poor self-esteem, but an entire nation!:eek:
    Don't be silly, I don't have low self esteem but I still know I'm a gob ****é. You are too even if you don't know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Ah that's all right then. As long as they do it in Europe.
    They do it all over the UK too!

And these countries have how many official languages???

They do it all over the UK too!
    The UK is in Europe. We have bilingual signs here, if anything we should be making Irish language names smaller to compensate for their longer names.

fits wrote: »
    And these countries have how many official languages???
    Look up article 8.3 of the constitution, what does it say? The government has no obligation to pursue this folly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As suspected, Kilmacanog (previously Kilmaconogue) was just the tip of the iceberg. The countdown to 2016 is well under way ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

So the €65 million would have to be spent anyway regardless of the design of the signs.

And the Signs actually look better and are easier for the motorists to read.

But the Irish is more prominent so fúck you Government/Conradh/Gaeilgóirí. You are wasting €65 million on a dead language, could be better off spent on healthcare instead of propping up a dead language, etc. rabble rabble.

Just another day in AH.

• Advertisement

The UK is in Europe. We have bilingual signs here, if anything we should be making Irish language names smaller to compensate for their longer names.
    Don't you want Ireland to join a United Kingdom? Seeing as they have bilingual signs the easiest way to progress towards your goal is to show the English/Scots/Welsh that we are capable of the same open mindedness as they possess.

Don't you want Ireland to join a United Kingdom? Seeing as they have bilingual signs the easiest way to progress towards your goal is to show the English/Scots/Welsh that we are capable of the same open mindedness as they possess.
    I toyed with the idea for long enough to post a reply but it's hardly my life passion.

I toyed with the idea for long enough to post a reply but it's hardly my life passion.
    So you're saying that you lack the British sense of fair play? Very good then!

So you're saying that you lack the British sense of fair play? Very good then!
    It's not about fair play, the language, culture or any other such nonsense. It's about safety. The exact reason we have smaller print for Irish names as things stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Don't be silly, I don't have low self esteem but I still know I'm a gob ****é. You are too even if you don't know it.

I'm glad you have insight, but I still am an expert in my field. Sad for you though. :D

It's not about fair play, the language, culture or any other such nonsense. It's about safety. The exact reason we have smaller print for Irish names as things stand.

*snirk* ah go on.. pull the other one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'm glad you have insight*, but I still am an expert in my field. Sad for you though. :D

*you don't.

fits wrote: »
    *snirk* ah go on.. pull the other one :D
    Believe what you want it's not my place to convince you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I think an interesting analogy would be the Gaelige Vs English options on Cash Point Machines (ATMs).

Hom many people choose the Gaelige (instead of English) option when doing an ATM transaction?

• Advertisement

Nope, your lack of the famed British sense of fair play makes you anti-British. I shall not be taking any of your posts seriously. You sir are a spoofer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

LordSutch wrote: »
    I think an interesting analogy would be the Gaelige Vs English options on Cash Point Machines (ATMs).

Hom many people choose the Gaelige (instead of English) option when doing an ATM transaction?
    I do, not to be pretentious but because the service is there and obviously money was payed to provide the service so those who can use it should.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I do, not to be pretentious but because the service is there and obviously money was payed to provide the service so those who can use it should.
    Fair play, it would be nice if the banks released the stats for the percentage of people who avail of this option. I think it would give more reliable figures for daily speakers of the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

And the Signs actually look better

That's subjective.

and are easier for the motorists to read.

That hasn't been demonstrated. My reaction, as a motorist, is that it isn't easier for me to find the bits I need. Also, that this new use of colour as a differentiator takes away from the colour-based visual clues we had before. In particular, using yellow for two separate purposes, road number and Irish name, makes speed-reading the sign a lot harder than it used to be, at least for English speakers.
    But the Irish is more prominent so fúck you Government/Conradh/Gaeilgóirí..

Actually, leaving aside whether one should be so abrupt about it, this issue is one that cannot avoid confrontation. I've asserted that the signs are harder for this motorist to read. And I won't complain that the Irish names are more prominent than the English names. They are, I'd guess, in exactly the same size and treatment. And I may as well add, before somebody else does, that this fulfils the spirit and the letter of the law on this matter.

But am I happy? Not in the slightest. The existing sign design has a lot of faults. All uppercase letters are harder to read. Italics are even harder, and the butchering of the Transport typeface to Irishise the letter A isn't pretty. And, in effect, the treatment of the Irish names probably made them harder to read for anybody who chose to.

Frankly, that's too bad. Because the imperative to have usable signs means you have to optimise them for the audience. The old signs were tolerable because most of us were able to mentally edit out the bits we didn't need to read. A new design that equalises the prominence while overloading the meaning of colour will take too long to process. It is, as others have mentioned, a safety issue.

Feel free to bring up the issue of fairness, the rights of the Irish speakers or the anointed status of the Irish language itself in our statutes, because I've heard it all before and it rings hollow. You can't claim discrimination against Irish speakers in road signage with a straight face as long as the Gaeltacht roads omit widely-used English names from their signs. Sure, it's legally done, but legal and fair are different concepts.

I've never seen bilingual signage done well. Welsh signs are a mess because you have to look carefully to work out which name pairs belong together (identical treatment with no colour-coding). Scottish signs are ugly and hard to read because of the colour overload. Belgium has the right idea, in choosing (except around Brussels) the dominant language of an area and signing everything in that language (though arguably even there they might do better to sign destinations outside that language zone in its own language).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Pick one name for a place and stick with it. Then it can be larger on a given sign size. It isn't hard to comprehend and it's not part of some evil plan set in motion by Cromwell (that was a moronic post).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I find it astounding that the signs cost €65M!

Whoever does their purchasing needs a good kick up the ass. I bet I could have sourced those signs for a lot less money and put a load of Jobbridge slaves to work on putting them up and had change out of €10M and at that, some would have found it's way to my back pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

€65m ?

For that sort of money you could send a space probe to Mars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

€65m ?

For that sort of money you could send a space probe to Mars.

Not quite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I find it astounding that the signs cost €65M!

Whoever does their purchasing needs a good kick up the ass. I bet I could have sourced those signs for a lot less money and put a load of Jobbridge slaves to work on putting them up and had change out of €10M and at that, some would have found it's way to my back pocket.

i doubt it's 65m just for the signs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

What next? I suppose all sat nav's sold her will have to have an Irish language option, what a terrible waste of money, I notice we have recently placed signs on our motorways every 1/2 Klm showing distance from start of motorway/Dublin, not sure which, incredible waste of time, money and effort. Another great brain wave from the RSA I suppose. Just try and reply to their latest public consultation document on part worn tyres, I have no doubt that they will implement new laws anyway irrespective of what the public think. We really are a bunch of suckers in this country, we just lie down and take all this bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

So the €65 million would have to be spent anyway regardless of the design of the signs.

And the Signs actually look better and are easier for the motorists to read.

But the Irish is more prominent so fúck you Government/Conradh/Gaeilgóirí. You are wasting €65 million on a dead language, could be better off spent on healthcare instead of propping up a dead language, etc. rabble rabble.

Just another day in AH.

From the OP's article
    While no signs will be replaced in the short-term – the National Roads Authority (NRA) has just spent €65m re-signing the road network – the new ones may be used when needed.

Are you actually advocating spending €65million more replacing brand new signs? And saying that it should be done because of the irish language? Or because they're a bit easier on the eyes?

I know people have been saying there's better things to do with 65 million and they're right. 65 million on a childrens hospital or the health service would help/save more lifes than new road signs. How many people have died due to road signage in the last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

digger58 wrote: »
    What next? I suppose all sat nav's sold her will have to have an Irish language option,

Google Maps have already made themselves unusable in Ireland, they have invented Irish names and and trying to navigate has become impossible as the font size to fit in the very, very much longer Irish Name "bothar an tiprarid whereever" is tiny and takes over the small screens.

I've already emailed them and gave them negative feedback and told them to make an English option and CHARGE for the Irish version that they'd actually make a fortune from selling the Irish one.

I did get a response saying that I was the ONLY one complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Google Maps have already made themselves unusable in Ireland, they have invented Irish names and and trying to navigate has become impossible as the font size to fit in the very, very much longer Irish Name "bothar an tiprarid whereever" is tiny and takes over the small screens.

I've already emailed them and gave them negative feedback and told them to make an English option and CHARGE for the Irish version that they'd actually make a fortune from selling the Irish one.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Pick one name for a place and stick with it. Then it can be larger on a given sign size. It isn't hard to comprehend and it's not part of some evil plan set in motion by Cromwell (that was a moronic post).

Would you prefer the proper name of the place or the pidgin English version introduced by the likes of Cromwell?

In any case, the Shoneen classes so dominant here have overlooked one advantage of this scheme. If Irish is in yellow then you'll be able to go to the Orange Order website, or that of their local representatives, and buy driving glasses that filter out that exact shade of yellow, so that actual Irish names for places in Ireland won't offend you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

In any case, the Shoneen classes so dominant here have overlooked one advantage of this scheme. If Irish is in yellow then you'll be able to go to the Orange Order website, or that of their local representatives, and buy driving glasses that filter out that exact shade of yellow, so that actual Irish names for places in Ireland won't offend you.

What? :confused:

and buy driving glasses that filter out that exact shade of yellow, so that actual Irish names for places in Ireland won't offend you.

Brilliant. I LOVE IT, bring it on. DOWN With Irish in my personal opinion and I don't want anyone to follow me, I'm over 50 so I've an excuse, get your own.

But the whole point of this story and in fact so many others is lobbying, staying silent is not an option.

There are arguably more Polish speaker in Ireland on a permanent basis than Irish speakers, but the English lobby does not exist or are considered traitorous.

I can be Irish and speak English. If I could go back in time, I think I'd have assassinated Peirce, a bleedin school teacher for feck sack, his OWN school, mind boggles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not quite
    India's Mars mission is costing €54 million.

India's Mars mission is costing €54 million.

Ye, but they have six year old kids heat gunning the parts off our waste motherboards.

Health & Safety here means a 300 billion euro test facility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

kneemos wrote: »
    Heard an interview with someone from the NRA on the radio about what roadsigns cost about the years ago. Couldn't believe the numbers he was claiming.Those big roundabout signs with the twin support posts cost 40,000 apparently...Mindblowing.
    I did mention the money involved was from the planet Zog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

I do hope the Road Signs will include place names in Ulster-Scots as well.

After all, together with English and Irish, it was explicitly recognised as one of our languages in the GFA.

It is time to recognise that and enlarge all our road signs to include all 3 languages in very large and multi-colured font!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Thank God! Bullet dodged. They could have wasted some of that 65million euro on a childrens cancer ward or something else equally spurious!

• Advertisement

View wrote: »
    I do hope the Road Signs will include place names in Ulster-Scots as well.

After all, together with English and Irish, it was explicitly recognised as one of our languages in the GFA.

It is time to recognise that and enlarge all our road signs to include all 3 languages in very large and multi-colured font!!!
    Don't forget Shelta, Yola and Fingalian. The five language of Ireland all in large multi coloured letters. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I find the most annoying thing about Irish on road sign is the length of the place names. Baile Atha Cliath is nearly 3 times as long as Dublin.

Don't forget Shelta, Yola and Fingalian. The five language of Ireland all in large multi coloured letters. :)
    And this one too ...

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/Visit-and-Learning/Information-Leaflets/Ulster-Scots/

hfallada wrote: »
    I find the most annoying thing about Irish on road sign is the length of the place names. Baile Atha Cliath is nearly 3 times as long as Dublin.
    Actually those names are for two different places https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73325927

Ah yes. We cannot forget Ulster Scots!

Or as they say in Ulster Scots,

We cannae forgoot aboot Ullans!*

*You know what I actually looked up a dictionary for that so called "language" and there's not even one on the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Google Maps have already made themselves unusable in Ireland

Well that certainly isn't true since I have given them negative feedback about it. They should give a language option. Everyone (sane) wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

Lol, I only log into Boards every few months, but when I do, Iwasfrozen is always the top poster in these Irish language debates and getting his knickers in a twist. He is absolutely OBSESSED with the Gaeilge, it's hilarious.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=2057078683

So glad these new bilingual signs are coming into force, not least to know that Iwasfrozen will be red-faced and fuming when he sees these signs from his mammy's car. :D

God bless the cantankerous saddos - no end of amusement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

65 million would be better used on starting to build the new National Children's Hospital

100% agree , we're becoming such a nanny state for certain things (policing the roads in particular) , and for things that really matter like childrens health and the current timebomb of depression and addiction in or society , we seam to have no money - the mind boggles at times - or mine does anyway

Lol, I only log into Boards every few months, but when I do, Iwasfrozen is always the top poster in these Irish language debates and getting his knickers in a twist. He is absolutely OBSESSED with the Gaeilge, it's hilarious.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=2057078683

So glad these new bilingual signs are coming into force, not least to know that Iwasfrozen will be red-faced and fuming when he sees these signs from his mammy's car.

God bless the cantankerous saddos - no end of amusement!
    Meh what can I say, you're obviously interested enough to post about me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

I'm shocked to see them spending this kind of money on road signs:eek: Road deaths have been up, why not actually spend some money and let the gardai reduce the amount of deaths on the road which is more important.

Better yet, why not put it into education? Unbelievable.

Advertisement