Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Year Med & Pre Meds!

Options
  • 15-08-2013 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Congratulations on your acceptance to NUI Galway's School of Medicine!

You've got an interesting year ahead of you! We know it can be stressful for the first few weeks and that's why NUIG's MedSoc is here to help! We're going to start off by throwing a first year party the evening of your orientations so you can meet your classmates and get the year started with a bang!

We're here to make sure you transition to college is as smooth as possible. So if you need anything feel free to contact us on facebook or email us at medsoc@socs.nuigalway.ie .

Also be sure to like us on facebook to be in the loop for all the upcoming parties and events! https://www.facebook.com/NUIGMedSoc

See you in September,

Pishoy Gouda
    NUI Galway Medicine Society
    Auditor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 34583457

Hiya, just got my med offer. I was just wondering how common is it not to do pre-med? I really don't want to do it but I've heard 'pre-med is the year you make your friends'.

Also I know the top ten people in the year get some sort of scholarship from the college, any idea when you hear about them?

Thanks, can't wait to start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pgouda

Hi anonymous med student,

The scholarship is offered to both premeds and 1st years, doesn't make a difference what year you go into! (pretty sure... my pre med friends got it).

Now I am taking a big guess but I would say 35% of your 1st med class would have done premed. You'll make friends in any year, but pre med has less (read as very little) course work. So you have more time to go out and meet more people.

Hope that helps a bit,

Pishoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 scone123

Hi Pishoy..Do you know when we find out if we get into pre med or not or when we choose which we prefer please?

Hey! I'm not entirely sure. The medical student society is not involved in the admissions process. However, you can contact medfaculty@nuigalway.ie , they will be able to give you the most accurate information. Looking forward to seeing you in September!

Cool thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fert94

What's the story regarding immunisation etc? Do we get this taken care of ourselves before we start or do we get more information on it later? :)

Hey Fert, I guess it really depends if you are an international student or not! it's cheaper for most peoples to get immunisation done in their home country (Canada, US, etc.), so if you are from there I would recommend getting them done at home! Otherwise, the school will badger you to get your hep B, which can be done in the student health clinical along with any other vaccines.

P

pgouda wrote: »
    Hey Fert, I guess it really depends if you are an international student or not! it's cheaper for most peoples to get immunisation done in their home country (Canada, US, etc.), so if you are from there I would recommend getting them done at home! Otherwise, the school will badger you to get your hep B, which can be done in the student health clinical along with any other vaccines.

P

I'm from Ireland :)

Fert94 wrote: »
    I'm from Ireland :)

Then you should have no problem getting them done at NUIG UNLESS THEY TOLD YOU OTHERWISE!!!

Like I've been saying... i'm only a student and sometimes they don't fill me in on new policy that the school implements. So any information from the school trumps anything I say!

But worst comes to worst, plead ignorance and get immunisation done during the year. THe concern is mainly when you start clinical years anyways.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Anyone know if you can have a look at last years First Med timetable? Just to have an idea!

• Advertisement

Here you go! This is from last year!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

pgouda, as you are posting on behalf of a society I have to ask you to refrain from posting any further until you have obtained a verified rep account from the guys in the office. They can be contacted at reps@boards.ie

Please note that further posts without having first obtained a verified rep account will result in a siteban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 heytony

hey! two things i was wondering about, what are my chances getting premed when ive done bio and chemistry?
    and also, i tried registering for nui today, but my page was being weird, only giving me an option to pay, and not register without paying
    ..........and i know this sounds really basic, but does this mean i have to pay the 2 grand fee first before registering? cause i didnt think i had to pay it until september....

much love

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

Fert94 wrote: »
    What's the story regarding immunisation etc? Do we get this taken care of ourselves before we start or do we get more information on it later? :)

The med school will send an email to you sometime in September about getting it done. Don't worry too much about it now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ICed

hi just wondering if anyone here has heard anything about what year they are in or whether they can skip premed? thanks

I'd say you'll be given details fairly soon, ICed. I did the three sciences, so went straight into the 5-year programme.

My understanding of the system is that if you are put into the 5-year programme, you can request to do the 6-year programme, but not the other way around. If you have been sent anything with "0MB" mentioned, chances are you're in pre-med. "1MB" refers First Med. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mavis200

HI I was was wondering if anyone knows the books recomended for first medicine? Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Any chance of a sample pre med timetable ? Much appreciated :)

Did anyone notice the difference when trying to register for NUIG today? Did it say year 0 beside everyone elses name or does that mean that I've gotten premed? :)

Year 0 (or 0MB) means you probably got premed.

But from what I can remember, everyone is lumped into it at the beginning, then they sort people (kinda like Hogwarts). Ring the School of Medicine office and ask. :)

Their number is: 091 544475

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mocker2012

scone123 wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the difference when trying to register for NUIG today? Did it say year 0 beside everyone elses name or does that mean that I've gotten premed? :)

You're in pre-med. I am as well. You can register now by clicking on the ''confirm place'' link on the right hand side of the course page in online registration. The modules are bio, chem, physics and intro to medicine.

Mavis200 wrote: »
    HI I was was wondering if anyone knows the books recomended for first medicine? Thanks :D

Hi Mavis200! Most of the lecturers will tell you the essential books (it varies a bit from year to year, depending on which lecturers you get). But two essentials for First Med (not Pre-med) are:

1. Gray's Anatomy for Students
    2. Atlas of Human Anatomy by Frank Netter

They are your bibles for First Year Anatomy. You'll use them literally every day.

I shall see ye in pre med :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

All registered! First med here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

OK I'm 1MB3 and I want 0MB3, please tell me this is easy to sort out?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mocker2012

Slow Show wrote: »
    OK I'm 1MB3 and I want 0MB3, please tell me this is easy to sort out?

I've heard it's easy enough to transfer from 1st to pre-med just not the other way around. Not quite sure how you'd go about it but I would suggest ringing NUIG today to get it sorted quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

All good, hello Pre-Med. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eva2468

Glee_GG wrote: »
    See you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Glee_GG wrote: »

Have you paid your fees yet ?

• Advertisement

Hola, First Meds!

We are looking for someone to take a single room in a 4-bed bungalow in Laurel Park, about 15-20mins from campus and the hospital. Rent is quite reasonable (€70pw incl. refuse).

We are: three males--two Third Meds, one Law Grad

We're looking for: male or female, who is quiet, tidy, clean and friendly.

Ideally, we're looking for someone who realises that study is important, but who can also have a bit of a laugh on a Friday night after a long week. Foodies win extra brownie points.

Having said all that, we're not total bores. The three of us are eccentric in our own little ways. :)

If you're interested, please PM me asap with your name, a little info about yourself and a contact number.

Thanks!

Advertisement