Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In America 1 in 3 women will be sexually assualted in her lifetime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭abdul 1995

So far you've used mini skirts and civil unrest as excuses for rape and sexual assault.

That is what is sinister about your attitude.
    to make things clear although im muslim im not speaking from a religious point of view and ive been in ireland for past 14 years just so people dont think hes one of them guys, im speaking from what i personally saw and what i deduced.
    a girl in a mini skirt is inviting men around her to sexually harras her wether verbally or physically compared to a girl more appropriately dressed for example,im not telling girls what to dress like personally i rather see a girl in a mini skirt but were talking about rape here right? so we can safely say it increases chances of bieng raped,now lets say this girl is at a bar at 1 am does and shes drunk and all men around her are also drunk doesnt that increase chances even more?.
    now i am of arabic origin but even though i havent set foot on arabic soil in like 5 years i feel inclined to stand up for them, tell me the ranking of the irst arabic country here : http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap-crime-rapes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

abdul 1995 wrote: »
    smell whatever u want loser whats ur point o.0

I smell a first year pharmacy student with outdated views who sends shivers down my spine. :mad:

I believe I more than adequately made my point clear which makes your reply redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭abdul 1995

I smell a first year pharmacy student with outdated views who sends shivers down my spine. :mad:

I believe I more than adequately made my point clear which makes your reply redundant.
    outdated views, lol ok u proved ur point goodman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

ttell me the ranking of the irst arabic country here : http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap-crime-rapes

Ludicrous. It is well documented that women in Muslim countries don't report rape because of fear of reprisals from the man or men involved, or punishment by their own families or the fact that authorities would view them with disgust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

to make things clear although im muslim im not speaking from a religious point of view and ive been in ireland for past 14 years just so people dont think hes one of them guys, im speaking from what i personally saw and what i deduced.
    a girl in a mini skirt is inviting men around her to sexually harras her wether verbally or physically compared to a girl more appropriately dressed for example,im not telling girls what to dress like personally i rather see a girl in a mini skirt but were talking about rape here right? so we can safely say it increases chances of bieng raped,now lets say this girl is at a bar at 1 am does and shes drunk and all men around her are also drunk doesnt that increase chances even more?.
    now i am of arabic origin but even though i havent set foot on arabic soil in like 5 years i feel inclined to stand up for them, tell me the ranking of the irst arabic country here : http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap-crime-rapes

14 years obviously not enough - and I guess you were only 4 years of age when you came. Unfortunately the opinions that were brought with you are hundreds of years old.

That you can say a girl can invite molestation because of the amount of clothing she wears is despicable.

• Advertisement

mod

Abdul 1995 banned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Are you serious? Do you honestly think the low number of reporting of rape in Arab countries is because it doesn't really happen? You don't think the fact that, in these countries, a girl is blamed for her rape (sound familiar?) and may even be tortured or executed for reporting the crime has anything to do with it?

Ludicrous. It is well documented that women in Muslim countries don't report rape because of fear of reprisals from the man or men involved, or punishment by their own families or the fact that authorities would view them with disgust.

Indeed under Sharia law it's often the case that the girl was at fault and gets punished. So, you can imagine only too well why sexual assault is under reported in countries which use Sharia law.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A woman in a short skirt may be inviting attention, but I'm sure you would agree that it is completely unacceptable for a person to put their hand on her without her explicit permission.

The vast, vast, majority of Muslim men I've met have been lovely people, but I do remember one guy on A&A a while back who claimed to see no difference modesty between a woman in a t-shirt and a woman in a bra, because you can see that a woman in a t-shirt has breasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just read the thread title again and notice its 'US'.

Well I work with a guy whose cousin was sacked in the US for 'sexual harrassment'. His crime? He said to a female colleague, "You're looking well today".

I **** you not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

What woman in her right mind would report a rape in a misogynistic sociaty where as we can see from your attitude that they will be blamed for their own rape.
    The consiquences of rape can be devastating even when you have the support of your family,friends and the authorities

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

that implies that if arab women drank and wore short skits that they would have a 100% rape rate!

the rape situation in the arab world is in one way or another down to the muslim faith,that religion has set you back 2000 years before this the middle east was the centre of the world and was made up of many incredibly advanced cultures ie babalonians egyptions and asyrians,the catholic faith has set us back too but not to this extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I've had a few chats with female friends over the years about things thst have happened to them on nights out... I've no doubt that rape rates are vastly under reported because I know that the women who have told me about what happened to them did not report it to thr guards or rape crisis centre...

Rape is a big problem... and even though I know it's a big problem (not just thr severity of the crime itself but the high rate at which it happens) I have a hard time with the idea that it's not a small sub set of men... men that I don't know personally.
    Why?
    Well in one story (trigger warning just incase)
    one friend of mine reported that a group of guys she'd been hanging out with for a while and one night the got her extra fall down drunk and bundled her into a taxi with one of the lads... while they were doing this they were talking about it being that guys turn and that they'd done enough work / put in enough effort and it was about time... she was definitely to drunk to consent/resist and only has flashes of memory from the night. They clearly worked as a team to arrange a situation where one of them would get her home and "have sex with"/rape her whether she wanted to go with them or not.

but as I guy I don't see that... it doesn't happen in my circle of friends (a far as I'm aware).
    I just feel that there are vastly different behaviours in different social circles.
    I imagine (perhaps incorrectly) that the parties at which people report seeing comatose women being assaulted are the beer pong and kegstand type parties that I didn't go to as apposed to the less boisterous wine and cheese, lets talk about phphilosophy and gaming parties that I attended. I have no doubt that there was plenty going in the background at these parties that I missed but... I guess the point I'm making is there's more than one culture with in society and you can experience culture shock even at home.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just read the thread title again and notice its 'US'.

Well I work with a guy whose cousin was sacked in the US for 'sexual harrassment'. His crime? He said to a female colleague, "You're looking well today".

I **** you not.

Proper order, he was clearly insinuating that she was a bit scruffy on previous days.*

*after hours response

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

A girl in a mini skirt is not inviting anyone. What a disgusting thing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

that implies that if arab women drank and wore short skits that they would have a 100% rape rate!

the rape situation in the arab world is in one way or another down to the muslim faith,that religion has set you back 2000 years before this the middle east was the centre of the world and was made up of many incredibly advanced cultures ie babalonians egyptions and asyrians,the catholic faith has set us back too but not to this extent.

It's more down toward attitudes towards women and men than a specific religion. Remember, it wasn't too long ago that Irish women who were raped were held responsible, seen as 'fallen', and often locked up in laundries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Sadly, I think organisations need to start reporting on rape statistics only and not include sexual assault. If/when those statistics come out, I'd love to see what peoples excuses are as to how the 'stats are wrong' and it's clearly not as big a problem as 1 in [however many] :rolleyes:

Of course you'll still get the usual victim blamers, but maybe it would reduce the amount of people who don't think rape/sexual assault is that common.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

token101 wrote: »
    And the opening line from the OP's Swedish link reads:

I stopped reading there but I'd be relatively confident the rest is bollocks.

Are they selling these muslims on again or using them for the domestic market?

Sadly, I think organisations need to start reporting on rape statistics only and not include sexual assault.

... that would be good.
    Why would better more accurate stats be a case of "sadly"? The sad part is that the will still be wrong because of the low report rate...
    I'd also like to see the stats broken down by type of rape... but there is a danger there that we'd run into the "legitimate" rape asshattery from some people... though at least we'd get a clearer picture of what's going on as well as identifying the asshats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Lou.m wrote: »
    No it isn't legally. And what to stupid thing to say.

Illinois State law defines sexual assault as:

Sexual penetration by force or threat of force or an act of sexual penetration when the victim was unable to understand the nature of the act or was unable to give knowing consent.
    (720 ILCS 5 Criminal Code of 1961 §12-13)
    Maybe in Illinois. The problem is that "sexual assault" is a vague term and it varies from jurisdiction.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2011/02/whats_the_difference_between_rape_and_sexual_assault.html

And 1 in 4 college women in the US report surviving rape or attempted rape.
    http://www.oneinfourusa.org/statistics.php
    That's a notoriously flawed study. I mean, 1-in-4 would put the rape rate higher than Congo or Japanese-occupied China.

• Advertisement

goose2005 wrote: »
    That's a notoriously flawed study. I mean, 1-in-4 would put the rape rate higher than Congo or Japanese-occupied China.

its an insult to men and women alike,if it was not such a serious subject it would be laughable,in my eyes an organisation as irresponsible as this should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But 1-in-73 doesn't sound as good.

NIMAN wrote: »
    But 1-in-73 doesn't sound as good.

even in a war torn country the majority of rapes are carried out by a few thousand men in a country of millions,and if these men enter your town the only chance of survival is if your a women because they butcher males and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

Un-f*cking-believable.

You need to take your head out of your arse.

If a groper gropes one woman a week at the end of the year 52 women will have been assaulted.
    If 1 in a hundred men is a groper then at the end of a year assuming no one gets groped twice then 52% of women will have been groped.

Butt there will be overlap for statistically and socially obvious reasons... even so that's a lot of groped women... for a small number of gropers.

Now... I think the number of sserial gropers is probably lower but the number of casual gropers is probably higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

kiffer wrote: »
    If a groper gropes one woman a week at the end of the year 52 women will have been assaulted.
    If 1 in a hundred men is a groper then at the end of a year assuming no one gets groped twice then 52% of women will have been groped.

Butt there will be overlap for statistically and socially obvious reasons... even so that's a lot of groped women... for a small number of gropers.

Now... I think the number of sserial gropers is probably lower but the number of casual gropers is probably higher.
    What would the numbers be for women groping men?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

Women just want attention that's why they say they got assaulted

banned

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Doublelime wrote: »

Easier ways to get attention......

Doublelime wrote: »

I wish I could say it was nice knowing you. Alas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

The 1 in 3 and 1 in 4 has been repeatidly debunked. It is just used to grab headlines

Advertisement