Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First impressions...........

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Mairt wrote: »
    Haven't seen or heard that one in years!..

Like indian ink and the 'borstal mark' it hasn't gone away, you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

On a pair of knuckles the last time I saw it - about 25 years ago.

Or with one of those 'saint' drawings. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭boring_job_guy

:(.....eh.....

"That money was just resting in my account"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SweetChilli

stovelid wrote: »
    I can't help being really prejudiced against them and could never see myself in a relationship with one, but if I got to know them over time and they were OK, I'd probably be friendly enough with them.

Seems to be quite a mixture of opinions from running away to watching what you say in front of "them"....... I really don't think the majority of us have that much to hide..

I have to say I'm quite surprised by the above comment... So, if you spotted a girl in a club, thought she was hot, eventually got chatting to her, would you lose interest if she said she was a copper??? Do you mind if I ask why you are prejudiced against them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭lottodrink

I actually met a load of Guards in a pub one night, I wont say the pub ha... Got a good laugh off them!!

One of them got a bit drunk n high n mighty, trying to start a fight with me but they where sound enough all the same..

I wouldnt judge anyone cause of there job!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I was in Zanzibar once, I was with my comrades ready to go in, we were accepted, but the bouncer wouldn't accept the guy behind me. That fella flashed a Garda badge, but the bouncer still wouldn't budge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Biggins wrote: »
    Thanks for puting yourself daily in the firing line. Your unappreciated, burdened down with paperwork, see things that you could never bring home to your wife/girlfriend and/or be able to talk about...

Your stuck in the middle most of the time in a position that your getting flack from both ends!
    Your political fodder to be kicked around by the politicians and your hated/despised by the criminals of this world.

You watch a lot of filums don't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Thank you for keeping my deli in business, who'd have thought you could get rich selling breakfast rolls and puddin' boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭pallepille

haha i know me too, actually the last time i did see it, it was indian inked onto some junkies knuckles, complete with dots between, hilarious i tells ya. Ahhh well thank god im clean now n those tatoo removal guys did a great job,hehehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭pallepille

pallepille wrote: »
    haha i know me too, actually the last time i did see it, it was indian inked onto some junkies knuckles, complete with dots between, hilarious i tells ya. Ahhh well thank god im clean now n those tatoo removal guys did a great job,hehehehe

clearly didnt read those other posts, so many got there before me, not often it takes me that long to come damn,haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I was out the other night with a few friends, one of whom is a Garda.... He told me that when he meets someone in a pub/club for the first time he tries to avoid answering the "what do you do" question because he's automatically judged(negatively) because of his job.....

What's your first thought/impression when introduced to a Garda???

His/her occupation wouldn't be the first thing that would generate an impression, my overall take on them as a person would be what does that.

If it did come to judging him/her, I certainly wouldn't do so negatively on the basis of their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Met a garda one night and got on really well with him. Great craic, got shat faced went down to res bar and he even leant me his badge so I could question a chick :D So funny, "but you have to answer this is a garda interagation"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

SpookyDoll wrote: »
    First, Run, run away fast.

Second, I would be full of wonder and bafflement as to what could induce someone to such a career.......

I am very suspicious of "authoritah" indeed !

Next time you're in work take note of the boss who seems to take pleasure in getting you to come into work at weekends or take short lunches to "catch up" or seems to enjoy dumping his work on your shoulders and you'll discover that it's not only within the Gardai that people abuse their authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

Dinter wrote: »
    Next time you're in work take note of the boss who seems to take pleasure in getting you to come into work at weekends or take short lunches to "catch up" or seems to enjoy dumping his work on your shoulders and you'll discover that it's not only within the Gardai that people abuse their authority.

I nevah work weekends, or indeed even weekdays!!
    Work is just somewhere I come to keep warm and get free tea......

After all boards.ie aint gonna write themselves!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

So, if you spotted a girl in a club, thought she was hot, eventually got chatting to her, would you lose interest if she said she was a copper???

I wouldn't have lost interest for that particular night, no :D
    Do you mind if I ask why you are prejudiced against them???

Myself and friends got grief from them a good few times growing up. Also have heard (directly from people I grew up with) of several bad incidents down the years.

Like I said, I did know one local Gard when I worked part-time in a very rough service station years back, and he was a good lad who always kept his eye open for me.

Advertisement