Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First impressions...........

Options
  • 16-12-2008 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I was out the other night with a few friends, one of whom is a Garda.... He told me that when he meets someone in a pub/club for the first time he tries to avoid answering the "what do you do" question because he's automatically judged(negatively) because of his job.....

What's your first thought/impression when introduced to a Garda???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Thanks for puting yourself daily in the firing line. Your unappreciated, burdened down with paperwork, see things that you could never bring home to your wife/girlfriend and/or be able to talk about...

Your stuck in the middle most of the time in a position that your getting flack from both ends!
    Your political fodder to be kicked around by the politicians and your hated/despised by the criminals of this world.

On the beat Gardi have my full support. If I met one in a bar/disco I'd buy them a drink.

Many I know state that they work in ordinary jobs. They say something like carpenter/plumber etc. Easy to say and even quicker to pass over in conversation.
    Done similar myself because at first, you don't know who your really talking to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

"Quit driving up and down my road."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

I was out the other night with a few friends, one of whom is a Garda.... He told me that when he meets someone in a pub/club for the first time he tries to avoid answering the "what do you do" question because he's automatically judged(negatively) because of his job.....

We were told when asked what we do, to say we "work in IT" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Dude, you totally look cool in that stab-proof vest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

IWhat's your first thought/impression when introduced to a Garda???

Wiggum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Two of my uncles are guards so I don't see it as odd or negative. Although I don't generally judge people on their occupation (capitalist pigs excepted!) would've thought most people are related to a guard or know someone who is one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'd probably say something like "jasus you made it through the recent cull, fair play chief".

Srsly though, I'd think to myself that if I were to go ahead and go out with this Garda, I'd probably have to give up my dream.

Unless human-trafficking isn't frowned upon as much these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Biggins wrote: »
    If I met one in a bar/disco I'd buy them a drink.

Notice how there is no "Thanks" under your post.

Edit: I'll probably have to eat those words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

The first thing I say is "Listen, I got this speeding ticket the last day, anything you can do for me?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Friend of mine is about to become one. I find that alot of Gardaí are spot on. I'd never judge them on it. Some are pricks and abuse their power, but not all. I'd be weary about what I'd say in front of them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,806 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Please dont search me."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

"No way that prick paid to get in"

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I can't say I know many socially, but if I did I would have no issues with it whatsoever. My attitude would most likely be "fair play, I don't think I could put up with all that crap".

They have a horrible job to do imo, but it is good that some people find that work rewarding and try to make the country better in a lot of respects.

Of course there are assholes that are guards, but that is no different to other professions. In the most part when guards are doing something that Joe public might not like such as speeding tickets etc, it might be best to remember that they are doing their job and doing what their bosses tell them to do, much like most of us have to do as well, albeit in probably less inyourface ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

5starpool wrote: »
    it might be best to remember that they are doing their job and doing what their bosses tell them to do, much like most of us have to do as well, albeit in probably less inyourface ways.

Agreed.
    Unless you're a dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I served one for a couple of months before I new he was a Garda and by jasus its worrying to know that some of them are complete an utter gob****es. When I found out I did not believe it until he showed me his ID. This guy was early 20's mind and still new to the job. I have served detectives also and they can be the soundest blokes you will ever meet. Just goes to show that you really dont know who his sitting next to you in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

If I met a female garda?.

Defintely ask her if she gets to bring her uniform home. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

I don't think of them any better or worse then any other profession. I would be interested in asking them what they have to go through for their job. But I've never had a bad experience with the Gardai. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I think it should be the first thing they say to you.....that or put a bell around their neck. I was talking to a guy in the pub once for a full hour before someone told me he was a Garda. C*nts! I could have said anything! :)

Think we only talked about hurling.....

There's a few local lads who became Gardai who I see in the local every now and again, and TBH, I wouldn't really want to spend much time talking to them. They tend to spend a lot more time listening and asking (innocent seeming) questions than actively engaging in the craic. Side effect of the job I suppose.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I met two guards ever at (different) parties and they were both rolling up joints!
    Of course there are assholes that are guards, but that is no different to other professions.
    Unfortunately though that assholes that are guards are assholes with power (authoritah).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If I crouch down and stay very quiet behind this hedge he probably will give up searching and drive off.

Sorry - introduced to a Garda? Emmmmm....... just say 'howarya Guard' and make real friendly like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

"see ya"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

I don't have too much of a problem when I tell people what I do - they usually haven't a clue what it is anyway and just go "oh wow, what the hell is that?!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

First, Run, run away fast.

Second, I would be full of wonder and bafflement as to what could induce someone to such a career.......

I am very suspicious of "authoritah" indeed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭riff-raff

OH NOES ITS 5 O RUN LADS ;)
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/BRIANQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/BRIANQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]image001.gif

Ah the poor sh*ts must be tough job pulling all the nurses in slapperface Jacks....
    'ave to say Know a few some nice others not so nice ....
    power goes to some of their heads:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mixture.

I can't help being really prejudiced against them and could never see myself in a relationship with one, but if I got to know them over time and they were OK, I'd probably be friendly enough with them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

*sniffs air*... "Baaaaaaaaaacon!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Elephant Monkey

So. . . . This is Copperface jacks then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

A.C.A.B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The Master wrote: »
    A.C.A.B.

Haven't seen or heard that one in years!..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So. . . . This is Copperface jacks then!

If its the same way it was a few years back its more likely to be
    'So. . . . This is Copperface jacks then!'

Advertisement