Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 month old twins attacked by fox

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

1210m5g wrote: »

The United Kingdom is considered a rabies-free jurisdiction but of course I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Just want to add a little local knowledge, i live a few minutes away from where this happened and i must admit the place is crawling with foxes and they have absolutely no fear of humans. A few weeks ago i was walking to a friends house which is only about 5 minutes from my own house and on the way i saw 7 foxes, some of which were so tame you could almost rub them down ( i lived in Tipperary for 21 years and never saw that many ) The reason i think there is so many around here is the fact that a lot of local people insist on throwing there half eaten chicken pieces on the foot path. Seriously you can not walk 10 meters in Hackney without seen the remains of a chicken, its disgusting. The solution i suggest is a type of urban fox hunting, instead of the upper classes it can be open to the lower classes, instead of horses they can use scooters and instead of hounds they can use there pit bulls. That or get people to use proper bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The solution i suggest is a type of urban fox hunting, instead of the upper classes it can be open to the lower classes, instead of horses they can use scooters and instead of hounds they can use there pit bulls. That or get people to use proper bins.
    Ye could run after them screaming and pee al over everything. It probably sounds stupid but it's the law of the animal world the biggest loudest animal wins without even fighting. It's a bit more human than killing them but probably not as effective as cleaning up the rotting food.

Your right though the only real solution is for them to stop living like pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just want to add a little local knowledge, i live a few minutes away from where this happened and i must admit the place is crawling with foxes and they have absolutely no fear of humans.

There does seem to be a problem in particular parts of London. The Daily Mail (sorry.. :o ) covered this two years back. There is an active Fox culling\relocation strategy in London.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1050156/Pictured-The-quick-brown-fox-jumped-family-sofa.html
    Mr Lindsay-Smith said he and his colleagues were shooting up to 70 foxes a week - more than double the number they killed last year.

They also trap dozens a week humanely and release them outside the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I lived most of my early life in the country and this just doesn't sound like anything a fox would do. Sure foxes will attack a hen house but going into a house where people live. Doesn't ring true to me.

The problem with what you're saying is the insertion of a countryside fox to an urban situation.

When a countryside fox get's the smell of humans he associates that with danger most of the time. So a countryside fox would be extremely unlikely to enter a house.

Urban foxes live among people, surrounded by them, and therefore are much less inhibited when it comes to people.

So you are right, a countryside fox wouldn't fit into this situation. But, an urban fox may.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

"allegedly" attacked is the key here. Even the cops have doubts
    I'm just the most sceptical person in the world.
    I lived most of my early life in the country and this just doesn't sound like anything a fox would do. Sure foxes will attack a hen house but going into a house where people live. Doesn't ring true to me.
    Then again, dingo's actually did kill that womans baby.....

i would be of the same mind as you, as i live in the country also, some poster on here said the mother saw the fox, so she was the only one to see it, also who in the country or city leave doors opened and go to bed, i always make ssure the doors are locked, downstairs windows closed, and i consider my locality safe, yet i would rather err on the side of safety, any crazy could have come into that house and taken the babies, thay would gave gone miles before those tots would been missed

Advertisement