Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's not a reason. That statement is logically equivalent to "Drink coffee is my reason for drinking coffee".

I dunno... Makes sense, in a Zen kinda way...?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭gk5000

We can be equal without being the same.
    Women and Men can be treated equally by the law, even though they are obviously different,

However, men cannot be mothers, and women cannot be fathers no matter how much we/some wish it so.

And it makes no sense to have two married men or two married women on a birth cert. (A child is automatically a product of a married couple under our law)

So voting Yes actually makes no sense in this regard i.e. non-sense or nonsense.

So people please get a grip an understand part of what voting yes means. Vote NO - change the law if needed on the above and then re-consider a new referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

gk5000 wrote: »
    We can be equal without being the same.
    Women and Men can be treated equally by the law, even though they are obviously different,

However, men cannot be mothers, and women cannot be fathers no matter how much we/some wish it so.

And it makes no sense to have two married men or two married women on a birth cert. (A child is automatically a product of a married couple under our law)

So voting Yes actually makes no sense in this regard i.e. non-sense or nonsense.

So people please get a grip an understand part of what voting yes means. Vote NO - change the law if needed on the above and then re-consider a new referendum.

Umm, this referendum will have no impact on birth certs no matter which way the vote goes.

Currently a heterosexual married couple have to put the husband as father on a birthcert even if he is not the father because all children born within a marriage are seen as the husbands children. But this referendum has nothing to do with having children or birth certs.

Its simply about allowing same sex couples to marry, you know, because civil partnerships are not equal to marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why are you bringing children into this?

This referendum has nothing to do with children. Maybe go and read the proposed amendment and then re-consider your position?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

gk5000 wrote: »
    A child is automatically a product of a married couple under our law

That is complete nonsense.

Neither of my grandchildren is the product of a married couple.

They are not unique by any means.

In 2012 alone
    Just less than 34 per cent of births [in the year were to parents who were not married to each other. However, of those, more than half were to cohabiting couples.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/cso-vital-statistics-marriage-births-death-516987-Jul2012/

That is 34% of 74,650 registered births in one year alone were not 'the product of a married couple'.

Also - this has nothing to do with the Referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

golfball37 wrote: »
    Leave marriage to hetrosexual couples is my reason for voting no. No need to open Pandoras box by messing with it.

Because heterosexual couples give it the respect it deserves.

Though you could argue De Gays wouldn't be messing with Pandora's box inallinanywayas.

seamus wrote: »
    Why are you bringing children into this?

This referendum has nothing to do with children. Maybe go and read the proposed amendment and then re-consider your position?

See what I meant? The only childlike aspect to this referendum is in that kind of toddler-think, dressed up to sound adult.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

endacl wrote: »
    Which brings us back to my question. Your honest reason for not wanting this to pass?
    Has already been stated several times. Believe it or not, some of us actually like laws to be coherent.
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    'Very Cork' - honestly. Is that the level you want to 'debate' at?
    But, sure, that's where you're dragging it. In this specific instance, you're using the technique of picking some arbitrary point and repeating it as if it was central to deciding something.
    endacl wrote: »
    That'd be more of a gender identity question. Also, she expressed a preference to be referred to as Loretta. There was no indication in that scene of Loretta's sexual orientation. Or of her desire to marry.
    And it's such a good scene that you didn't manage to kill it there.
    P_1 wrote: »
    I thought it was rather self explanatory. If the amendment passes two people, irrespective of their gender, will be allowed to enter into a civil contract with each other, this contract is called marriage.
    Which would be fine if that could be done coherently. The issue, as already pointed out, is that the legal concept of marriage contains elements that just don't make sense for same sex relationships.

One example is the concept of consummation, an important concept in marriage validity. In the UK, they've been unable to find a definition of consummation that can be applied to same sex marriages. In Ireland, we seem to be pretending that no issue exists.

Ditto for the presumption of paternity. A coherent protection for children in a straight marriage context. Complete nonsense in the case of a gay marriage.

The usual run of play at this stage is to let these substantial points sit, and find a post on the thread by some religious loon that you can respond by the usual vacuous appeal to equality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Has already been stated several times. Believe it or not, some of us actually like laws to be coherent.But, sure, that's where you're dragging it. In this specific instance, you're using the technique of picking some arbitrary point and repeating it as if it was central to deciding something.And it's such a good scene that you didn't manage to kill it there.Which would be fine if that could be done coherently. The issue, as already pointed out, is that the legal concept of marriage contains elements that just don't make sense for same sex relationships.

One example is the concept of consummation, an important concept in marriage validity. In the UK, they've been unable to find a definition of consummation that can be applied to same sex marriages. In Ireland, we seem to be pretending that no issue exists.

Ditto for the presumption of paternity. A coherent protection for children in a straight marriage context. Complete nonsense in the case of a gay marriage.

The usual run of play at this stage is to let these substantial points sit, and find a post on the thread by some religious loon that you can respond by the usual vacuous appeal to equality.

Still zero actual evidence there.

Please provide the Constitutional definition of marriage which you fear will become subject to governmental regulation.
    One either exists or it doesn't.

If it does you should have no problem sharing it (in a non-geographical specific way). If it doesn't then you are scaremongering.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The issue, as already pointed out, is that the legal concept of marriage contains elements that just don't make sense for same sex relationships.

So the question becomes: do we postpone equality indefinitely until those nit-pickery aspects are addressed to your satisfaction, or do we address a civil rights deficit first, and deal with the consequences, insofar as they are consequences, as required?

I mean, really: the presumption of paternity doesn't make sense in the context of a same-sex marriage - so what? If it doesn't arise, it doesn't arise. Why is it a problem?

Similarly, consummation. What practical obstacle does this present - as a real-world problem, not an exercise in legalistic omphaloskepsis - to the introduction of same-sex marriage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Has already been stated several times. Believe it or not, some of us actually like laws to be coherent.But, sure, that's where you're dragging it. In this specific instance, you're using the technique of picking some arbitrary point and repeating it as if it was central to deciding something.And it's such a good scene that you didn't manage to kill it there.Which would be fine if that could be done coherently. The issue, as already pointed out, is that the legal concept of marriage contains elements that just don't make sense for same sex relationships.

Nowhere in the constitution are any of those items explicitly referred to so they have nothing to do with we are being asked to vote on. I'd imagine such matters will be hashed out through legal precedent in the divorce courts in the years to come but for this debate they have zero relevance.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

GCU just doesnt understand the basic fundemental right
    Equality before the law
    All citizens in Ireland shall be held equal before the law. .

GCU and his ilk perpetuate an argument FOR inequality before the law

oscarBravo wrote: »
    <..> a civil rights deficit <...>
    What civil rights deficit? What actual problem exists that requires the legal framework around marriage?
    I mean, really: the presumption of paternity doesn't make sense in the context of a same-sex marriage - so what? If it doesn't arise, it doesn't arise. Why is it a problem?
    The problem is the amendment states there will be no distinction in marriage law based on gender. You are assuming that we'll still be able to provide differently for straight and gay marriages. We won't.
    Similarly, consummation. What practical obstacle does this present - as a real-world problem, not an exercise in legalistic omphaloskepsis - to the introduction of same-sex marriage?
    If the concept is meaningless for same-sex marriages (which it seems to be, based on the UK experience) it means that all same-sex marriages will be potentially voidable. So, by voting Yes, you'll just be creating a farcical situation.

Because you can't dismiss this as "nit-picking", just because you essentially don't want to think in any meaningful way about how you exercise your vote.
    P_1 wrote: »
    Nowhere in the constitution are any of those items explicitly referred to so they have nothing to do with we are being asked to vote on.
    That has to be the non-sequitur of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

golfball37 wrote: »
    I'm sorry if gay people wnat to marry and feel aggrieved about not being allowed, but there's plenty of people who are born with conditions that preclude them from doing things yet they don't scream equality about it.

what exactly are you implying here?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    GCU just doesnt understand the basic fundemental right
    Equality before the law
    All citizens in Ireland shall be held equal before the law. .

GCU and his ilk perpetuate an argument FOR inequality before the law
    Ironically, you actually don't understand the significance of the principle you've posted there. People are equal before the law.

That's different to the question of what the law should be.

That's different to the question of what the law should be.

rubbish, you do not want the law governing civil marriage made open, in an equal manner, for persons with no discrimination as to their sexuality or gender.

the scaremongering from the no side is despicable.

rubbish, you do not want the law governing civil marriage made open, in an equal manner, for persons with no discrimination as to their sexuality or gender.

the scaremongering from the no side is despicable.
    I doubt that it's possible to achieve that result. I also doubt that it's necessary. I've done no scaremongering, even if you obviously wish I had. I find the situation farcical, rather than scary.

What civil rights deficit?
    The fact that same-sex couples can't get married.
    What actual problem exists that requires the legal framework around marriage?
    The inability to marry.

If you disagree that this is a civil rights issue, perhaps you could explain why you don't think being unable to marry is a civil rights issue, rather than having it dragged out of you like pulling teeth.
    The problem is the amendment states there will be no distinction in marriage law based on gender. You are assuming that we'll still be able to provide differently for straight and gay marriages. We won't.
    Don't assume what I'm assuming. I don't see a requirement to provide differently for straight and gay marriages. If practical issues arise, we can deal with them.
    If the concept is meaningless for same-sex marriages (which it seems to be, based on the UK experience) it means that all same-sex marriages will be potentially voidable. So, by voting Yes, you'll just be creating a farcical situation.
    Let's see: by voting Yes, there's the possibility that the question of voidability of same-sex marriages will have to be addressed at some point in law. By voting No, we'll be denying same-sex couples the right to marry at all.

If I have to choose between denying people civil rights and having to tidy up some laws later, I think my choice is clear.

scary wrote: »
    what exactly are you implying here?

Don't open that can of worms...

I doubt that it's possible to achieve that result. .

No need to doubt.

That result will be achieved by a yes vote.

Is that what you find "farcical"?

• Advertisement

The fact that same-sex couples can't get married.
    Ah, the totally circular argument defence. Nothing can defeat a tautology.
    perhaps you could explain why you don't think being unable to marry is a civil rights issue
    I'll use the kind of argument you seem to understand. Because it isn't.
    I don't see a requirement to provide differently for straight and gay marriages.
    And this is despite the requirement being clearly set out for you.

What you're really saying is you're voting Yes, but that you are incapable of saying why. Fine. No-one said you had to be rational.

Is that what you find "farcical"?
    Oh, let's see it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

What does transphobia have to do with anything?

Ah, the totally circular argument defence. Nothing can defeat a tautology.
    Well, there's always the "I'll refuse to make a point and just use rhetorical questions to make it seem like I have one" attack.
    And this is despite the requirement being clearly set out for you.
    You seem to feel that unless there's a way to void a marriage because of impotence, the very idea that such a marriage could be allowed to exist is inconceivable (pardon the pun).

Has it crossed your mind that, if anyone feels strongly enough about it - heck, maybe you feel strongly enough about it yourself - they could always lobby for an update to the relevant 1870 law.
    What you're really saying is you're voting Yes, but that you are incapable of saying why. Fine. No-one said you had to be rational.
    I'll spell my reasoning out, in a way that you seem unwilling to do yourself: I'm voting Yes, because I think that same-sex couples should have the right to marry, and the reasons offered for denying them that right - like the inviolable sanctity of nineteenth-century laws on voidability, or because God, or ewww, gheys - are unconvincing to me.

You seem to feel that unless there's a way to void a marriage because of impotence, the very idea that such a marriage could be allowed to exist is inconceivable (pardon the pun).
    That's very clearly not what I've said, but I've noted that you can't actually square your decision to vote yes with the simply realities.

That's very clearly not what I've said, but I've noted that you can't actually square your decision to vote yes with the simply realities.

the simple reality is most yes voters are voting yes in order allow a gay couple the same civil marriage rights and entitlements as a hetro couple.

anything else is side issues.

The simple reality is most yes voters are voting yes because they've a vague idea that a gay couple can be shoehorned into the same civil marriage rights and entitlements as a hetro couple.

Anything else they just don't want to hear.

I could try to be polite about it, but this is absolutely the most miserable referendum process I've ever had the misfortune to experience. Remind me when the vote takes place, so that I can count the days until it's over and I can look at a news site again without the risk of seeing a mention of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

The simple reality is most yes voters are voting yes because they've a vague idea that a gay couple can be shoehorned into the same civil marriage rights and entitlements as a hetro couple.

you're wrong people are voting yes because they have compassion for people and are not prejudiced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

For someone who's sick of it being mentioned you're spending a fair amount of time talking around it.

• Advertisement

I could try to be polite about it, but this is absolutely the most miserable referendum process I've ever had the misfortune to experience.
    Finally. Common ground.

Advertisement