Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman denied entry to church

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

I do not think the priest is anti - traveler, everyone seen entering the church on that video looks like a traveler.
    I think the priest is just against crimes against fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

She has got long sleeves, it's not overly short or lowcut, however I think that dress must be completely see through when full light shines on it. Even in whatever little hallway they are standing in, because the material is so flimsy and clingy you can make out every little outline of her thighs and tummy etc underneath it. That's in dim enough light, with full sunlight or bright indoor lights I imagine it would be completely see through probably leaving visible arse and/or underwear on full display for all to see.

That was my initial impression anyways, but from reading other replies it would seem that this priest may have an issue with travellers in general. So maybe it was a mixture of the two things. Inappropriate clothing and prejudice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Need a bigger broom to make more sweeping comments ?

Well then, why not refute them, instead of a one liner response :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Merces

Banned from Mass? I fail to see the punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

She has got long sleeves, it's not overly short or lowcut, however I think that dress must be completely see through when full light shines on it. Even in whatever little hallway they are standing in, because the material is so flimsy and clingy you can make out every little outline of her thighs and tummy etc underneath it. That's in dim enough light, with full sunlight or bright indoor lights I imagine it would be completely see through probably leaving visible arse and/or underwear on full display for all to see.

That was my initial impression anyways, but from reading other replies it would seem that this priest may have an issue with travellers in general. So maybe it was a mixture of the two things. Inappropriate clothing and prejudice?

Somewhat relieved to know it wasn't just me then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

i don't know what I'm more shocked at ..
    Some of the comments that are very close to ignorance or the fact that After Hours is full of fashionistas ..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Some of the comments that are very close to ignorance or the fact that After Hours is full of fashionistas ..:)

Well it is After Hours after all.

Aineoil wrote: »
    Well it is After Hours after all.

And after yesterday everybody is equal .. ( not if your adopted , trans, or traveller etc etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

They wont be at his door looking for money for briquettes or school books for a while then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

And after yesterday everybody is equal .. ( not if your adopted , trans, or traveller etc etc )

with equality comes responsibility...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ahh come on, it's hardly like she rocked up to the Church Lady Guinevere style, jumped down off the horse and pulled on a frock! :D
    The good travellers dress modestly. The ones that depend in large handouts dress how they want, and cry discrimination when someone says no. I'm expecting this one will be in the papers in a few weeks after getting a handout by the parish.
    I imagine it's something along the lines of what electro posted above, that this particular priest has a problem with travellers, but like I said earlier - really not helping her own case mouthing off like she did.
    Two things;
    a) there'd be a lot more travellers if this was the case.
    b) travellers, for the most part, are fairly religious, and don't really do stupid things in church. As opposed to in a pub, where anything goes.
    Even though they " might be private " ( depends if that part your on is run by a charity or charitable arm of the church)
    They banned her, not the entire traveller congregation it would seem.
    but those girls will be refused everywhere they go, thats the difference.
    "Their men" are often to blame. About a decade ago, when I was at a nightclub in Galway, one of the girls from the group I was with fell against another woman, and they both fell over. We picked them both up, and didn't think anything of it.
    Leaving the nightclub later that night, and said girl pointed us out to her 20 traveller men. Luckily one of the bouncers saw it, and let us out the back way, though a hotel, and out a side street whereby we got into a taxi back to the hostel we were staying in. The bouncer said that "it happens", but they can't bar them as they're travellers.

The traveller women can fight if they have to, but you f**k with one, you f**k with the entire family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

That dress is so tight, and so transparent, that I can tell the colour of the fluff in her belly-button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

signostic wrote: »
    I not aware of churches getting money from the public purse...

do some research on state subvention of catholic education , reform schools adoption agency's etc etc etc

i understand the church stepped in to fill a vacuum supplying services to a fledgling state, but they were paid to do it publicly and privately, and they took full advantage.

who built the church in Ennistymon? Rome didnt build it the people of Ennistymon built it thats public money.

but thats a side issue, if that woman was refused because of her dress, there would be very few weddings in churches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

They wont be at his door looking for money for briquettes or school books for a while then.

Ahh lordy.

Before I leave yuz all to it, have to say I've seen a lot worse than her dress on many women in many churches.

*unfollows*

You're easily shocked if this incident shocks you, or if anything that's been posted in this thread has shocked you.

Equality for some but not for all.:(

the_syco wrote: »
    The good travellers dress modestly. The ones that depend in large handouts dress how they want, and cry discrimination when someone says no. I'm expecting this one will be in the papers in a few weeks after getting a handout by the parish.

Two things;
    b) travellers, for the most part, are fairly religious, and don't really do stupid things in church. As opposed to in a pub, where anything goes.

They banned her, not the entire traveller congregation it would seem.

"Their men" are often to blame. About a decade ago, when I was at a nightclub in Galway, one of the girls from the group I was with fell against another woman, and they both fell over. We picked them both up, and didn't think anything of it.
    Leaving the nightclub later that night, and said girl pointed us out to her 20 traveller men. Luckily one of the bouncers saw it, and let us out the back way, though a hotel, and out a side street whereby we got into a taxi back to the hostel we were staying in. The bouncer said that "it happens", but they can't bar them as they're travellers.

The traveller women can fight if they have to, but you f**k with one, you f**k with the entire family.

i accept that point totally , but it doesnt make for an easy night out i worked in pubs in the past and it was a nightmare trying to refuse them, the fact that they do what they do doesnt make it right to descriminate against them.

Equality for some but not for all.:(

mybe we should have a referendum to allow priests to get married they are the only people who cannot if they want to keep there vocation that is

maybe if that priest in Ennistymon was married he would be a little more welcoming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

A bare knuckle fight between herself and the priest.

It's the only proper way to sort it out really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Strange she only has the video after she was kicked out, and not the kicking out, nor the swearing that she claims happened. Most people would be videoing the entire thing, so I'm skeptical that there was any swearing, and more likely she's banned from the church for other reasons.

Also, the RCC is a private organization, who can ban whomever they want from their premises.

Finally, we don't know how she was dressed earlier, and only her word.

Video was sorely missing the "shame, shame, shame on you" audio track :)

A bare knuckle fight between herself and the priest.

It's the only proper way to sort it out really.

i'd buy that dvd

No they're not, and that's an utterly useless comparison. Travellers have exactly the same opportunity as anyone else in society now to enter into marriage with a person of the same sex.

How are travellers who are LGBT treated within their own community actually now that you bring it up? Are they treated equally as travellers who identify as heterosexual or are they treated with disdain and treated like lepers among their own community?

I'm curious about that and you seem to be au fait with traveller culture, so perhaps you could help me understand your perspective on equality and how it relates to the way travellers treat members of their own community who are LGBT.

The Catholic Church cannot be sued for discrimination.

It is exempt from the Equal Status Act.

So it's their way, or the highway. And rightly so. It is a feckin church not a nightclub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maybe be she was asked to leave because she was a ringer .
    Squeezing herself into a white dress so she could go around asking for envelopes of money

The Catholic Church cannot be sued for discrimination.

It is exempt from the Equal Status Act.

So it's their way, or the highway. And rightly so. It is a feckin church not a nightclub.

its not rightly so, no organisation should be above the law, the church tried that when they tried to administer there own form of cannon law / justice in lieu of real justice to wrongdoers in their flock, moved them around a bit.

• Advertisement

who built the church in Ennistymon? Rome didnt build it the people of Ennistymon built it thats public money.

In 1952 it was decided that Ennistymon and Lahinch needed two new churches.

Bishop Browne, the then bishop of Galway sent a letter to all people in the

parish asking what they wanted. Most households wanted new churches.

Corr and McCormack from Derry were the architects.

The cost of both churches was eighty thousand pounds.

The priests collected money from those people from County Clare who had

emigrated to America.

The rest of the money was gathered from local businessmen and one shilling

(I think that is about 7 cent in monies today) was collected every week from

each household in the parish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,267 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Two things;

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/travellers-fight-slash-hooks-funeral-2810916

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-shot-at-dundalk-funeral-288945.html

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

How are adopted people and travellers treated unequally?

its not rightly so, no organisation should be above the law, the church tried that when they tried to administer there own form of cannon law / justice in lieu of real justice to wrongdoers in their flock, moved them around a bit.

Thankfully things have (hopefully) changed about all that, awful as it was. Friday's result was a humdinger there.

And ALL religions here have the same exempt provisions, it's not just the CC.

If you want to be a member, obey the rules.

You are not obliged to worship there. Although that is a joke sometimes. Not just for Travellers. There are many who observe the "Hatches, Matches, and Dispatches in the church, but feck off after the party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Not sure about that. I go to mass once a year at Christmas back home. Every year there is a group of travelers striding in 10 mins late and they march straight up to the front rows. That's no crime in itself but they are dressed in tight leopard skin summer dresses and shouting to their kids behind to catch up.

They obviously do this deliberately to draw attention to themselves but in reality they are just an annoyance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Two things;

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/travellers-fight-slash-hooks-funeral-2810916

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-shot-at-dundalk-funeral-288945.html

and another
    http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14788:ballinrobe-community-reacts-to-confirmation-fight&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

meeeeh wrote: »
    I saw only part of the film and she is saying 'us' women so there might be more if them around.
    That would make sense, she looks like a prude compared to what I have seen some women wearing at christenings, and I have no idea if they were travellers. Some of the ones I saw would have been refused entry to work in a brothel.

The traveller card seems a handy one to play, has anybody heard of a "non traveller" putting on an accent to try and get into a venue they were denied for being inappropriately dressed or drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Not from what I saw in the video and pics it only looks to me that the sleeves are sheer not the dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

In fairness

It was her little girl's first communion day and her mother wasn't allowed into

the church to celebrate the sacrament. I wouldn't be too happy if that

happened to me. There has always talk about how travellers dress for

communions and confirmations in Ennistymon.

I just feel the situation could have been handled with a little more diplomacy.

How come you dont know that it wasn't her daughter making her communion but her husbands niece? You must also be aware that for some years there has been mayhem in the church at various celebrations. The priest talked to all parents about following complaints from the local community including other travellers.

Also many members of her family including females were already in the church and some of them are walking in past the priest as she is talking on camera.

Aidric wrote: »
    Not sure about that. I go to mass once a year at Christmas back home. Every year there is a group of travelers striding in 10 mins late and they march straight up to the front rows. That's no crime in itself but they are dressed in tight leopard skin summer dresses and shouting to their kids behind to catch up.

They obviously do this deliberately to draw attention to themselves but in reality they are just an annoyance.

Attention seeking numties. Undereducated too by their culture's own choice. So all they have left is their bodies and their big mouths.

They are afraid of no one. That is the sad reality.

I am sure that most people who attend Church would not be impressed with their antics.

That is the reality, they have few social skills, and do not realise that their tarty dress sense and also their sense of entitlement alienates all those around them. But we are silenced into saying this aren't we?

Where are the menfolk though, that is what I miss in all this. Where ARE THEY?

Practicing the Bare Knuckle stuff outside or laying a few dodgy patios tax free I suppose. lol.

How are adopted people and travellers treated unequally?

try getting information on your natural birth parents or siblings/medical history /backround if your adopted

take a look at some of the posts on this thread re travellers and ask yourself ,is this an equal society when people judge humans based on a tv show or on ideas that there parents held ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I live in Clare and some of the traveller girls making their Communions are dressed like hookers. I'm talking about tops that are more like a cropped corset and mini skirts. Forget 'cultural reasons' it's disgusting. It's a short one-sided piece of footage that neither of them came out of well. Ah, sure maybe Pavee point will stage a protest outside the church now, or she can always call Joe.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

This should go without saying, but make sure no one links to anyone's personal FB/Twitter page etc. Cheers

I've tshirts that are bigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

People should realise that when they decide that they're catholic, they cannot make up their own rules. You follow the rules of the church. You should not pick and choose what rules you follow, you're either in or out. If you don't agree with certain rules (contraception, divorce, homosexuality etc) you should leave and find another religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Exactly as it was told to me from more than one person who was there with the added comment that prior to the cameras being produced the dress was shorter but was adjusted for the purpose of filming and photos.

Thankfully things have (hopefully) changed about all that, awful as it was. Friday's result was a humdinger there.

And ALL religions here have the same exempt provisions, it's not just the CC.

If you want to be a member, obey the rules.

You are not obliged to worship there. Although that is a joke sometimes. Not just for Travellers. There are many who observe the "Hatches, Matches, and Dispatches in the church, but feck off after the party.

i agree totally, but not knowing anything else but the images from the video she should not have been excluded on that day, and i believe the perseption of traveller disregard for the way the rest of the country have to live, pay taxes, bin charges etc can be very galling.

i do believe the church has every right to exclude and there is a lot of a la carte catholicism about as you say hatches matches and despatches, they can exclude a traveller but they cannot exclude her because she is a traveller.

equality / tolerance is not easy and there was a lot of back clapping over the weekend and rightly so it was a great step forward after centuries of victimisation violence and fear but if we are to be really fair to all every one needs to sign up priests and travellers included, both of them should start paying taxes

have i gone of the point?

I live in Clare and some of the traveller girls making their Communions are dressed like hookers. I'm talking about tops that are more like a cropped corset and mini skirts. Forget 'cultural reasons' it's disgusting. It's a short one-sided piece of footage that neither of them came out of well. Ah, sure maybe Pavee point will stage a protest outside the church now, or she can always call Joe.:rolleyes:

its taken many many years of me being on boards to be disgusted at a post

7/8 year old children being called hookers to make a point by a grown adult(i think)
    at least have the skill to blame the parents ...

its taken me less than a year of me being on boards to be disgusted at a post

7/8 year old children being called hookers to make a point by a grown adult(i think)

He/she clearly stated dressed like hookers not that the 7/8 year olds were hookers but you knew this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

That's not even remotely close to what pumpkinsseeds posted. Pathetic attempt at going out of your way to pretend to be offended.

try getting information on your natural birth parents or siblings/medical history /backround if your adopted

take a look at some of the posts on this thread re travellers and ask yourself ,is this an equal society when people judge humans based on a tv show or on ideas that there parents held ..

I wouldn't base my opinion of all travellers, or all priests for that matter, on the behaviour of individuals amongst them who give a poor representation of a whole community, because that would be ridiculous.

That's why I wouldn't also base my opinion of all travellers upon some of the ignorant judgments of settled people made by the original uploader of the youtube clip you linked to.

Anyway, any chance you'd educate me on your perspective of equality as it relates to how travellers treat members of their own community who are LGBT?

Treat others as you would want to be treated seems to be often lacking in some people, yet they feel they are entitled to stand in judgment of other people? That's not any equality I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I'm from a traveller family and adopted. Have never had an issue with anything you've mentioned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

S/he didn't call the kids hookers though... they said they were 'dressed like hookers'. Bit different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think you need to choke down your mistaken moral outrage and take the time to read my post properly. I find children being dressed in a sexually provocative way disgusting and I make no apology for that.

Advertisement