Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman denied entry to church

• 24-05-2015 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

Seems like this woman was denided entry to her local church based on the basis of her dress and the dress code of the church..

I really dont think that it's down to the woman being a traveller as she says , but has more to the way she's dressed which if is the case even more shocking in this day and age ..

when she asks him has he anything to say he replies " tell them I laughed at you " is not right in tone or in the teaching of Christianly

So after hours have we really come that far ?
    Do we deny the rights of others based on the dress code or because of what a person has done

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S_pOr6EEb-M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

You have no idea why he denied her, only her own claims.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Her attire is fairly tame going by big fat gypsy weddings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Zero context to the suggestively edited clip very similar to the iw protest videos.

And if it's on Facebook it must be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

You have no idea why he denied her, only her own claims.

Have you read my post and seen the video clip ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

The Catholic Church is a private organization. She has no right to expect admission OP.

But go ahead - turn on the aul outrage machine.

Let's have a go at the Catholic Church.

Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

In the Philippines they will cover a woman's shoulder's before she goes into the church. There are shawls available at the door to protect modesty.

The girl was dressed a bit provocatively but I've seen a lot worse. I really hate the wanton discrimination that travellers have to put up with. The majority of them are good people.

I don't think there's such a thing as a right to enter a church. If you're not dressed appropriately you won't be allowed into a mosque or a synagogue either.

The Catholic Church is a private organization. She has no right to expect admission OP.

But go ahead - turn on the aul outrage machine.

Let's have a go at the Catholic Church.

Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble

In your rush to judge my post you seem to have missed the part where his behaviour as a human to human goes past you ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I'd give her one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Any travellers on here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Seems like this woman was denided entry to her local church based on the basis of her dress and the dress code of the church..

I really dont think that it's down to the woman being a traveller as she says , but has more to the way she's dressed which if is the case even more shocking in this day and age ..

when she asks him has he anything to say he replies " tell them I laughed at you " is not right in tone or in the teaching of Christianly

So after hours have we really come that far ?
    Do we deny the rights of others based on the dress code or because of what a person has done

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S_pOr6EEb-M

What's this 'we' business exactly?

It's impossible to know what's going on there so it's impossible to make any sort of judgment about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Compo claim incoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

That channel is hilarious. The UTV guy has let himself go
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSiz747xMnU

The dress seemed fine to me, Ive seen far far worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Didn't watch the video but generally speaking, surely it's about time that the right to express oneself in tarty, electric pink taffeta was enshrined as a basic human right?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Candie wrote: »
    I don't think there's such a thing as a right to enter a church. If you're not dressed appropriately you won't be allowed into a mosque or a synagogue either.

She was dressed no different than how people might dress for a wedding, but of course for a wedding they pay the priest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

The comments on the video show the person who posted it in a lovely light altogether. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I turned off the video early because I couldn't bare to listen to those accents any longer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Obviously we do not know the full story here as anything could have happened prior to the start of the video but the priests smug attitude doesn't do him any favours. Not sure why he would stop a traveller going into a church as whatever their other faults they tend to be fairly pious folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    they tend to be fairly pious folk.

Depends on your definition of pious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Obviously we do not know the full story here as anything could have happened prior to the start of the video but the priests smug attitude doesn't do him any favours. Not sure why he would stop a traveller going into a church as whatever their other faults they tend to be fairly pious folk.

You're right,by the same token though it's possible they've just had a much more heated argument about something and now that she's pulled the camera out he is afraid to engage her too much. I think if I was him out of sheer embarrassment, awkwardness and quite frankly fear I'd be silent and ignore someone if they pulled out a phone to start videoing a confrontation with me.

The dress looks grand if that's what it's genuinely about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Tonight, two of the hardest hitting topics take each other on in one thread, who will emerge victorious? It's the Catholic Church VS The Travellers and it's live right now in After Hours...

. I think if I was him out of sheer embarrassment, awkwardness and quite frankly fear I'd be silent and ignore someone if they pulled out a phone to start videoing a confrontation with me.

Same here with me too, or at least I hope I would be,

Not quite a fan of this business of pulling out the video phone.

In this case, I don't get the point to it anyway, as it shows nothing more than a woman getting mouthy and having a go at a priest. The rest is left to our imagination.

they used to not let you in if your shoulders weren't covered sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I live in Ennistymon. The Communion was on Saturday. It was just about the dress. The guards were called as well.

Aineoil wrote: »
    The guards were called as well.

For what crime, out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Have you read my post and seen the video clip ?

Yes. And like I said, you cannot know why he refused to let her in other than what she said he said.

I don't know why they were called but two guards from the local station came down to the church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Do we deny the rights of others based on the dress code

Going to church isn't a right.

It was just about the dress.

And this is based on you seeing / hearing this personally, rather than hearsay locally, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Crimes against Fashion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Good for her!

And this is based on you seeing / hearing this personally, rather than hearsay locally, yeah?

It's a small village and people talk.....One person I know saw the incident.

It's a small village and people talk.....One person I know saw the incident.

Cool. So all still just hearsay then, and we're none the wise really either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Terrible. Dont blame her for being in a sulky mood. Amiright?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

lol

mutton dressed as mutton, nothing to see here, let's move on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

While the dress appears to be "figure-hugging" I think it might look different in real life rather than through a (vertical :rolleyes:) iPhone video.
    That said, at my parish, if people can get away with wearing a Liverpool top, for example, I don't see why she wouldn't be allowed in.

I think there is more to this than is let on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I live in Ennistymon. The Communion was on Saturday. It was just about the dress. The guards were called as well.

Thanks for continuing to tell the rest of the story.

Same here with me too, or at least I hope I would be,

Not quite a fan of this business of pulling out the video phone.

In this case, I don't get the point to it anyway, as it shows nothing more than a woman getting mouthy and having a go at a priest. The rest is left to our imagination.

Neither am I a fan of the phone pulling out
    But I remember what happened when they have been pointed at people who covered up crime ( I'm thinking police USA )

Getting back to the post , I think it's the smugness and the line .. "Tell them I laughed at you "
    Is about power and control

The fact it was a communion day and could have been dealt with better ( a quiet word saying to consider covering up or maybe next time hand out the guidelines)

Im sure the priest knows his flock well enough and indeed if he is aware of the different groups of children making communion ( I'm guessing he directs or the ethos of the school is Catholic) which could have allowed him to say discreetly to parents what's expected of that was his need

I was watching pentecost sunday services on the bbc this morning and it struck me as welcoming and inclusive service and had many different types of people in all different type of clothes from all over the planet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

'I have tax and insurance on that car'...lols

What's that got to do with her predicament?

Thanks for continuing to tell the rest of the story.

There isn't any more to the story. It was about the dress being too short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The real crime here is that it was filmed in portrait mode

There isn't any more to the story. It was about the dress being too short.

But my mate was there and said differently, as were some of my other mates and that's not what they said :rolleyes:

Reveal all then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Reveal all then.
    That was the priests main concern about the dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

bluewolf wrote: »
    they used to not let you in if your shoulders weren't covered sure

Still do in lots of mainland europe AFAIK, been ages but its hard enough not to think about sex in mass without some wicked harlots seductive shoulders and delectable knees tempting your mind away from righteous thoughts :-P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

psinno wrote: »
    Going to church isn't a right.

It is actually.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Lady: I have a divine right to enter this church!

Priest: You have a divine left too, but youre still not getting in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Next video is of her and her family calling out the priest and his family.

Up Joyce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

. Not sure why he would stop a traveller going into a church as whatever their other faults they tend to be fairly pious folk.

Well except for the 8th commandment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I saw only part of the film and she is saying 'us' women so there might be more if them around.

Personally I don't give a damn about the inappropriate clothing in church but some Travellers are responsible for serious crimes against good taste. So I think that priest is actually my hero. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement