Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public sector pay increase

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,917 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

:) = I know I'm stirring sh-t.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Oh this should be good. *grabs popcorn*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This is what they were supposed to get, an annual pay increase each year since 2008. That was what was agreed with the previous government but they reneged on it. Most workers have been on a pay freeze for the last 7 years.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/towards201626june06.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Specialun wrote: »

It's not a pay increase, it's pay restoration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Let's not let the fact that a huge portion of public sector workers are on pretty crap pay get in the way of a good rabble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Jawgap wrote: »

Still don't deserve it

Icaras wrote: »
    Still don't deserve it

Why not?

Their pay was unilaterally cut - the justification for the cut was the financial emergency - the financial emergency is winding down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,917 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why not?

Their pay was unilaterally cut - the justification for the cut was the financial emergency - the financial emergency is winding down.

Because we can not afford it and it will damage the wealth creating private sector by hurting the competitiveness of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Some public sector workers got royally fcuked over, the rabble always focuses on the ones that get paid far more than they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Why not?

My pay was unilaterally cut by a lot more when I was made redundant. How many PS workers were made redundant?

Because we can not afford it and it will damage the wealth creating private sector by hurting the competitiveness of the country.

Yes, that's the mantra. But the figures are hardly definitive - everyone, including the PS workers, can interpret to suit themselves.

Personally, I think the pay cuts should be unwound - a deal was done and one side unilaterally reneged. I also think the PS workers would be stone made to go back into anything resembling social partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Most likely a last desperate and expensive grab by the Labour Party to try and save itself with elections and what not coming up??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Wow, such a surprise. An election around the corner and nobody could have saw this one coming.

By all means help out the lower paid members of the public & private sector. But any universal pay rise that includes those who do not need it, would be complete nonsense.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Saying that we can't afford it and saying that they don't deserve it are two completely different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

You should ring the indo so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Let's not let the fact that a huge portion of public sector workers are on pretty crap pay get in the way of a good rabble!

This made me LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

hard to complain about anyone getting a 2% payrise in fairness!

stimpson wrote: »
    My pay was unilaterally cut by a lot more when I was made redundant. How many PS workers were made redundant?

Well the place I was in until recently saw a forced 30% reduction in headcount between 2008 and about mid-2010. No one got redundancy though.

People had their contracts terminated, forced into unsustainable working patterns (compelling them to leave), had career breaks terminated (forcing people to return or resign) etc

About 4 people from about 35 who were exited got early retirement or redundancy packages.

Specialun wrote: »
    You should ring the indo so...

Nah, I prefer to have as little to do with that rag as possible.

I might ring Joe......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Public sector workers don't deserve a pay increase, yes their wages have been on a freeze since 2007 for very good reasons but public sector wages are still higher than their private sector counterparts.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Public sector workers don't deserve a pay increase, yes their wages have been on a freeze since 2007 for very good reasons but public sector wages are still higher than their private sector counterparts.

That's not universally true.

My wife left the Civil Service in 08 for a higher paying job in private practice.

I left (the Public Service) last year, because the salary differential just became too great to ignore.

Why don't they? and how have you come to that conclusion? seems an insane blanket statement to me.

That's not universally true.

My wife left the Civil Service in 08 for a higher paying job in private practice.

I left (the Public Service) last year, because the salary differential just became too great to ignore.
    An overall fact doesn't have to be true in every case. I'm not saying every civil servant would earn less money in private sector but over all for the level of education, training and pressure required civil servants, despite the pay freeze, still get paid more than their private sector counter parts.

Why don't they? and how have you come to that conclusion? seems an insane blanket statement to me.
    Public sector workers, when you take into consideration the level of education and training needed for the job and the level of stress the job implies still get paid more than their private sector counterparts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

An overall fact doesn't have to be true in every case.
    If it's not true in every case then it's not a fact. You're generalising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭trashcan

hard to complain about anyone getting a 2% payrise in fairness!

Seemingly not. ;)

Public sector workers, when you take into consideration the level of education and training needed for the job and the level of stress the job implies still get paid more than their private sector counterparts.

There are a lot of public service jobs in health, policing, defence, the emergency services that are woefully underpaid if the metric is 'stress.'

And I still remember interviewing people for entry level and not so entry level jobs in the place I worked and them turning their noses up at the salaries on offer - including one girl who burst out laughing when we confirmed the money on offer.

http://www.nerinstitute.net/blog/2015/03/12/employment-in-the-public-sector/

In the South, government departments have been subject to a moratorium on recruitment since 2009 and incentives were put in place to encourage senior staff to retire from the service. The recent Annual Progress Report on Public Service Reform indicates public service numbers have been reduced by approximately 10 per cent and the public service pay bill has been reduced by over 20 per cent since 2009.

Pay has been increasing in the private sector in general in the last few years. Average pay in the private sector is lower than the public sector because the private sector is more than 80% of all employees. Including lots of people in part time jobs. PS jobs are mostly full time.

But the biggest salaries by far are available in the private sector, some of those guys wouldn't get out of bed for less than €20K a week.

• Advertisement

Also stress comes in different 'flavours' - I wouldn't say I'm under more stress in my current role, compared to when I was in the PS, but it is definitely a different kind of stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

PRD.....plus USC, plus wage cut. Plus loss of an annual leave, another form of pay cut. And before someone says anything about annual leave, I've 23 days a year which I've to keep 3 of those for Christmas closure.

Nim wrote: »
    If it's not true in every case then it's not a fact.
    That... doesn't make any sense. Statistics don't have to be true for every case in order to be a fact. If I say the fertility rate in Ireland is 1.99 that is a fact but not only is it not true for every woman, it's not true for any woman.

Similarly public sector wages in Ireland are higher than they are in the private sector taking into account education and training needed to carry out the job. But that doesn't mean it's true for every case.

Get it now?

That... doesn't make any sense. Statistics don't have to be true for every case in order to be a fact. If I say the fertility rate in Ireland is 1.99 that is a fact but not only is it not true for every woman, it's not true for any woman.

Similarly public sector wages in Ireland are higher than they are in the private sector taking into account education and training needed to carry out the job. But that doesn't mean it's true for every case.

Get it now?

And the highest salary in the Public Service would be only 5% or 10% of the highest salary in the private sector. And as per my other post 80% of workers are in the private sector, many of them part time, thus skewing the statistics on average pay.

There are a lot of public service jobs in health, policing, defence, the emergency services that are woefully underpaid if the metric is 'stress.'
    It's not, the metric is what are people willing to work for. And the unionization of the public sector warps this metric.
    And I still remember interviewing people for entry level and not so entry level jobs in the place I worked and them turning their noses up at the salaries on offer - including one girl who burst out laughing when we confirmed the money on offer.
    The problem with the public sector is unions, the unions threw the younger generation under the bus in order to protect their own salaries.

The solution isn't throwing more money at the problem, the solution is to break the unions, strip the older generation of their protection and re-distribute funds to the more junior staff.

And the highest salary in the Public Service would be only 5% or 10% of the highest salary in the private sector. And as per my other post 80% of workers are in the private sector, many of them part time, thus skewing the statistics on average pay.
    I've heard this arguement before but in the public sector you can have teachers with ordinary degrees earning 60k. In what private sector industry could a person with a BA earn 60k with experience alone?

It's madness, imagine how more efficient the public sector would be if it were de-unionized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I've no objection to a 2% bump in a person's salary if they deserve it. Not everyone in the public sector is on a 6 figure salary for a cushy desk job.

What I don't like about this is that it looks like it's just a blanket increase of 2% whether you're a lazy, overpaid leech or a hardworking, front line staff member making just enough to get by. It should be done like in the private sector, yearly increments based on performance goals. You don't meet your goals, you don't get a pay increase. No system is perfect but a universal bump of 2% is lazy, unfair and, as pointed out, just ticking another box in the run up to the election.

that doesnt make sense though, if they did have equal jobs paid higher with less qualifications needed, then better people would apply, people with higher qualifications and that would become the norm for that sector.

unless you think that highly qualified people are not clever enough to apply for public sector jobs

Some people find non stressful jobs more stressful, it stresses them out that they dont have things to be stressed out about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

People who are die-hard advocates of wholesale privatization of parts of the public sector, advocate for cuts of public sector wages, and selectively interpret stats to try and back that - big surprise.

Meanwhile, the rest of us judge the efficiency of the public sector, based on the benefit they provide to society - which costs more money to improve, not less - and not on minimizing the amount of expenditure (as people tend to regard efficiency, as quality of service, not on mere monetary cost).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

PS jobs are mostly full time.

Debatable.

that doesnt make sense though, if they did have equal jobs paid higher with less qualifications needed, then better people would apply, people with higher qualifications and that would become the norm for that sector.

unless you think that highly qualified people are not clever enough to apply for public sector jobs
    I'm sure they do, but the unions agree public sector recruitment freezes to protect public sector jobs.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, the rest of us judge the efficiency of the public sector, based on the benefit they provide to society - which costs more money to improve, not less - and not on minimizing the amount of expenditure (as people tend to regard efficiency, as quality of service, not on mere monetary cost).
    Throwing money at an inefficient system doesn't make the system more efficient, you know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Meanwhile, the rest of us judge the efficiency of the public sector, based on the benefit they provide to society

That would explain the outrage over pay rises.

Throwing money at an inefficient system doesn't make the system more efficient, you know that.
    Your idea of 'efficient' for public services, is different to everyone elses - bar other die-hard free marketeers.

That would explain the outrage over pay rises.
    It's quite simple really: You cut the money going to public services, as has been happening the past number of years, you get worse quality service. Want better quality public services? Send more money to the public services.

Your idea of 'efficient' for public services, is different to everyone elses - bar other die-hard free marketeers.
    My idea of efficient is to maximize service and minimize costs. Once again throwing money at an inefficient system does not make the system more efficient or spontaneously cause the quality of service to increase. That can only be done through systematic changes, changes that are blocked by unions.

Bacchus wrote: »
    I've no objection to a 2% bump in a person's salary if they deserve it. Not everyone in the public sector is on a 6 figure salary for a cushy desk job.

What I don't like about this is that it looks like it's just a blanket increase of 2% whether you're a lazy, overpaid leech or a hardworking, front line staff member making just enough to get by. It should be done like in the private sector, yearly increments based on performance goals. You don't meet your goals, you don't get a pay increase. No system is perfect but a universal bump of 2% is lazy, unfair and, as pointed out, just ticking another box in the run up to the election.

What performance goals would you set for firemen? Or nurses?

The increment system should not be part of this discussion. It would be easy for the employer to say to a fireman you didn't put out enough fires last year so you stay on your starting pay. Forever.

My idea of efficient is to maximize service and minimize costs. Once again throwing money at an inefficient system does not make it more efficient.
    I doubt it. When it comes to the public sector, I'd say you'd rather see it defunded and have the service worsen, to set it on the path towards privatization - I doubt you give a toss about having better quality public services.

You're arguing indirectly for privatization, and would support any slant in argument aimed at defunding it (in this case, worker wages), not on the merits/demerits of public sector wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

It's quite simple really: You cut the money going to public services, as has been happening the past number of years, you get worse quality service. Want better quality public services? Send more money to the public services.

Total nonsense. Giving more money to a lazy inefficient worker, who cannot be fired, is not going improve public services.

Give every PS worker a pay increase and make individuals accountable with the prospect of redundancy for under performance. That's the way

I doubt it. When it comes to the public sector, I'd say you'd rather see it defunded and have the service worsen, to set it on the path towards privatization - I doubt you give a toss about having better quality public services.

You're arguing indirectly for privatization, not on the merits/demerits of public sector wages.
    Thank you for that insight Komrade but I'm more aware of what I'm arguing for than you are.

What performance goals would you set for firemen? Or nurses?
    Continious assesments, constant grading on various aspects of their work, if a fireman is late for a drill it goes on his record. If a nurse doesn't organize his files correctly it goes on his record.

• Advertisement
Advertisement