Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector pay increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

:) = I know I'm stirring sh-t.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Oh this should be good. *grabs popcorn*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This is what they were supposed to get, an annual pay increase each year since 2008. That was what was agreed with the previous government but they reneged on it. Most workers have been on a pay freeze for the last 7 years.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/towards201626june06.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Specialun wrote: »

It's not a pay increase, it's pay restoration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Let's not let the fact that a huge portion of public sector workers are on pretty crap pay get in the way of a good rabble!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Jawgap wrote: »

Still don't deserve it

Icaras wrote: »
    Still don't deserve it

Why not?

Their pay was unilaterally cut - the justification for the cut was the financial emergency - the financial emergency is winding down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why not?

Their pay was unilaterally cut - the justification for the cut was the financial emergency - the financial emergency is winding down.

Because we can not afford it and it will damage the wealth creating private sector by hurting the competitiveness of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Some public sector workers got royally fcuked over, the rabble always focuses on the ones that get paid far more than they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Why not?

My pay was unilaterally cut by a lot more when I was made redundant. How many PS workers were made redundant?

Because we can not afford it and it will damage the wealth creating private sector by hurting the competitiveness of the country.

Yes, that's the mantra. But the figures are hardly definitive - everyone, including the PS workers, can interpret to suit themselves.

Personally, I think the pay cuts should be unwound - a deal was done and one side unilaterally reneged. I also think the PS workers would be stone made to go back into anything resembling social partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Most likely a last desperate and expensive grab by the Labour Party to try and save itself with elections and what not coming up??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Wow, such a surprise. An election around the corner and nobody could have saw this one coming.

By all means help out the lower paid members of the public & private sector. But any universal pay rise that includes those who do not need it, would be complete nonsense.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Saying that we can't afford it and saying that they don't deserve it are two completely different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

You should ring the indo so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Let's not let the fact that a huge portion of public sector workers are on pretty crap pay get in the way of a good rabble!

This made me LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

hard to complain about anyone getting a 2% payrise in fairness!

stimpson wrote: »
    My pay was unilaterally cut by a lot more when I was made redundant. How many PS workers were made redundant?

Well the place I was in until recently saw a forced 30% reduction in headcount between 2008 and about mid-2010. No one got redundancy though.

People had their contracts terminated, forced into unsustainable working patterns (compelling them to leave), had career breaks terminated (forcing people to return or resign) etc

About 4 people from about 35 who were exited got early retirement or redundancy packages.

Specialun wrote: »
    You should ring the indo so...

Nah, I prefer to have as little to do with that rag as possible.

I might ring Joe......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Public sector workers don't deserve a pay increase, yes their wages have been on a freeze since 2007 for very good reasons but public sector wages are still higher than their private sector counterparts.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Public sector workers don't deserve a pay increase, yes their wages have been on a freeze since 2007 for very good reasons but public sector wages are still higher than their private sector counterparts.

That's not universally true.

My wife left the Civil Service in 08 for a higher paying job in private practice.

I left (the Public Service) last year, because the salary differential just became too great to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Why don't they? and how have you come to that conclusion? seems an insane blanket statement to me.

That's not universally true.

My wife left the Civil Service in 08 for a higher paying job in private practice.

I left (the Public Service) last year, because the salary differential just became too great to ignore.
    An overall fact doesn't have to be true in every case. I'm not saying every civil servant would earn less money in private sector but over all for the level of education, training and pressure required civil servants, despite the pay freeze, still get paid more than their private sector counter parts.

Why don't they? and how have you come to that conclusion? seems an insane blanket statement to me.
    Public sector workers, when you take into consideration the level of education and training needed for the job and the level of stress the job implies still get paid more than their private sector counterparts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

An overall fact doesn't have to be true in every case.
    If it's not true in every case then it's not a fact. You're generalising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

hard to complain about anyone getting a 2% payrise in fairness!

Seemingly not. ;)

Public sector workers, when you take into consideration the level of education and training needed for the job and the level of stress the job implies still get paid more than their private sector counterparts.

There are a lot of public service jobs in health, policing, defence, the emergency services that are woefully underpaid if the metric is 'stress.'

And I still remember interviewing people for entry level and not so entry level jobs in the place I worked and them turning their noses up at the salaries on offer - including one girl who burst out laughing when we confirmed the money on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

stimpson wrote: »

http://www.nerinstitute.net/blog/2015/03/12/employment-in-the-public-sector/

In the South, government departments have been subject to a moratorium on recruitment since 2009 and incentives were put in place to encourage senior staff to retire from the service. The recent Annual Progress Report on Public Service Reform indicates public service numbers have been reduced by approximately 10 per cent and the public service pay bill has been reduced by over 20 per cent since 2009.

Pay has been increasing in the private sector in general in the last few years. Average pay in the private sector is lower than the public sector because the private sector is more than 80% of all employees. Including lots of people in part time jobs. PS jobs are mostly full time.

But the biggest salaries by far are available in the private sector, some of those guys wouldn't get out of bed for less than €20K a week.

• Advertisement

Also stress comes in different 'flavours' - I wouldn't say I'm under more stress in my current role, compared to when I was in the PS, but it is definitely a different kind of stress.

Advertisement