Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of Vigilantes?

Options
  • 21-12-2008 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭

I watch/read Batman and i think, there's a man we need here. A man who puts fear into criminals, a man who needs no guns to fight crime and someone who is there for the common man. The more i read about crime in Ireland, the more i think of Gotham City. Now i know Batman is made up and the idea of a masked vigilante who prowls the city of Dublin with a utility belt full of little gadgets like a batarang is laughable. Again i would say it is more harder then it looks on TV, but at the same time I think it is possible to have someone like that.

But anyway, due to vigilante's unwillingness to abide and work with the law, they have been ruled against the law, and i would say we're told that they are bad guys. But what do you think of Vigilantes. Do you wish we had some here? or do you think they are just as bad as the criminals?

I for one am for vigilantism but i'm sure most of you think i'm a quak so i'll stop here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Everyone has a price ,it's just a matter of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Now i know Batman is made up

Excuse me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I think vigilantes are great if they're out stopping diabolical superhumans intent on destroying the free world.

I don't really approve of the kind of vigilantes that go after regular murderers/rapists/whatever. They just strike me as cúnts. I'm sure Batman hates them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I think that we should get a group of people together, get some baseball bats and sort 'em out!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Batman is one thing, he's a genius. But people are stupid the world over, thick as two sods of turf ****heads are the majority. People who buy the crazy frog single.

Remember the people who took the law into their own hands and couldn't tell the difference between a Pediatrician and a Pedophile? Yeah, that's what we get with vigilantes in the real world, stupid as hell peons without even the basic grasp of language.

If there were people like Bruce Wayne in the real world, I'd be all for it. But I don't think there are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

OP I'm currently in the process of founding the SSVGL* (Super Secret Vigilante Group of Limerick).

I'll PM you the application form when we're ready to get started.

*name pending

Remember the people who took the law into their own hands and couldn't tell the difference between a Pediatrician and a Pedophile?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Now i know Batman is made up
    Excuse me?

He must be confusing him with the Joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Fizman wrote: »
    OP I'm currently in the process of founding the SSVGL* (Super Secret Vigilante Group of Limerick).

I'll PM you the application form when we're ready to get started.

*name pending

That would be cool, but i think i should stay here in Dublin and found SSVGD, that way we can hit organised crime on two fronts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

If I won the lottery I would build a bat cave alright, wouldn't really want to be batman though. Would just like to have a bat cave there to annoy the lads.

"My missus has 34DD titties"

"Yeah well fcuk you buddy, I've got my own bat cave" type scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

The justice system in this country doesn't seem to be working , but No , I wouldn't like to see vigilantes take the law into their own hands.
    It would turn into mob rule , and that won't work any better than what we have now.
    I can't see where the vigilantes would draw the line , and in a case of mistaken identity , what chance would an innocent person have?

/note , I am crap at serious posts.:o

/note , I am crap at serious posts.:o

You wouldn't be if you did it more often, you just need to up the ante.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I think that if the Gardai have their hands tied so much as they do, and the Judges are handing out Mickey Mouse sentences, Vigilantism wouldnt be such a bad idea.

Local scummer gets his legs broke instead of a court appearance and wasting Garda time... sounds good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If justice needs to be served, then we can't always rely on the powers that be. The problem with vigilantes is that you can't rely how just or thought through it is.

But for example, if I knew there was a pedo or rapist or drug dealer or some sh*t in the area who got off cause of "lack of evidence" or some sh*t, but it's common knowledge that some sh*t went down, I would have no problem with the lad been given the ultimate hiding of his life and being told that if he didn't disapear he'd be made disapear.

The law works, but sometimes it fails through technicalitys, then it's up to the people. Sort it out. Sometimes people revolt when the government / police fu*k up (Greece anyone?), same thing applys when the system fails, people can't be expected to accept whats wrong. The problem is though it can get out of hand, should only be applied in the most clear cut and undoubtable scenarios, if the public takes everything into their own hands then just as much injustice and anorchy ensues...

Use as last resort when everything else fails...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

[Jackass] wrote: »
    If justice needs to be served, then we can't always rely on the powers that be. The problem with vigilantes is that you can't rely how just or thought through it is.

But for example, if I knew there was a pedo or rapist or drug dealer or some sh*t in the area who got off cause of "lack of evidence" or some sh*t, but it's common knowledge that some sh*t went down, I would have no problem with the lad been given the ultimate hiding of his life and being told that if he didn't disapear he'd be made disapear.

The law works, but sometimes it fails through technicalitys, then it's up to the people. Sort it out. Sometimes people revolt when the government / police fu*k up (Greece anyone?), same thing applys when the system fails, people can't be expected to accept whats wrong. The problem is though it can get out of hand, should only be applied in the most clear cut and undoubtable scenarios, if the public takes everything into their own hands then just as much injustice and anorchy ensues...

Use as last resort when everything else fails...

where is this utopia of which you speak?

You wouldn't be if you did it more often, you just need to up the ante.

How very vigilant of you , batman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 1979Bob

They work. You cant rob someone if you have a broken leg.
    But for a more serious answer the more the police fail to act on crime and the more the courts fail to impose heavy sentences for crimes the more we will see of vigilantes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't agree with them in general, but in some cases where there is a policing failure or vacuum, I can understand when a community decide to regulate themselves now and then.

The problem, I guess, is that it can sometimes get out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Gardai do not like vigilantes, the sole reason is that they show how bad the gardai are at in their jobs.
    Do you notice how vigilantes really only occur in downmarket areas as the police force are ineffective there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

[Jackass] wrote: »

Ahh yes, the good old court of public opinion. What a crock of shit.

You see, this is why vigilantes make zero sense. They don't need all those pesky things like evidence and due process and trials. They can just decide that because "everyone" thinks something it's therefore true.

They're no better than the "scum" they're supposed to be protecting against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Vigilantes are likely to turn into a bunch of thugs themselves so no... not a good thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ireland already has a self appointed vigilante group. :confused:

They are (were) on the news every day for punishment beatings and kneecappings.

Good luck to you trying to get them to swap the combats and balaclava's for rubber suits and capes.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

gurramok wrote: »
    Gardai do not like vigilantes, the sole reason is that they show how bad the gardai are at in their jobs.
    Do you notice how vigilantes really only occur in downmarket areas as the police force are ineffective there?

The gardai PROBABLY are doing a ok job with regard catchingb the scum,its the judges/courts that are a discrace with the mickey mouse sentences they are handing out,it must be very disheartining for the guards to watch this.

I might add if any scumbag/knacker/paedo/junkie did anything to me or mine,he wouldnt get as far as court to stick his two fingers up at the so called justice system...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

thetyreman wrote: »
    The gardai PROBABLY are doing a ok job with regard catchingb the scum,its the judges/courts that are a discrace with the mickey mouse sentences they are handing out,it must be very disheartining for the guards to watch this.

I might add if any scumbag/knacker/paedo/junkie did anything to me or mine,he wouldnt get as far as court to stick his two fingers up at the so called justice system...

Was in college with a bloke who attacked a guy who broke into his house in finglas/Dublin.
    He was awaiting trial for attacking the bloke ,who he left lying on the ground outside his home.

SteveC wrote: »
    Ireland already has a self appointed vigilante group. :confused:

They are (were) on the news every day for punishment beatings and kneecappings.

Good luck to you trying to get them to swap the combats and balaclava's for rubber suits and capes.:rolleyes:

Ah yeah , we know that SteveC , but the thread is about what we think of them.
    I Really Am seeing your point though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ahh yes, the good old court of public opinion. What a crock of shit.

You see, this is why vigilantes make zero sense. They don't need all those pesky things like evidence and due process and trials. They can just decide that because "everyone" thinks something it's therefore true.

They're no better than the "scum" they're supposed to be protecting against.

Scenario.

You live in a downtrodden area with serious anti-social disorder where your home and your kids are attacked on a daily basis. You name it, windows being bricked in, your car constantly damaged, you cannot sleep at night due to harassment, your kids being physically attacked on the street where fear is in their eyes.

You call the gards and after about 20 tries, they catch a couple of the perpetrators and the courts let them go constantly because they are too young.

You have options. Option 1 is to move out but you need someone to buy your house. Option 2 is a batch of vigilantes formed from a few neighbours who take the law into their own hands to protect their homes from scum as the justice/policing system has failed. Option 3 is continue as your are and rely on justice being served legally in time.

What do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

311 wrote: »
    Was in college with a bloke who attacked a guy who broke into his house in finglas/Dublin.
    He was awaiting trial for attacking the bloke ,who he left lying on the ground outside his home.

He should have finished the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

311 wrote: »

AND?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Have we learned nothing from Keanu Reeves movies at all?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090775/

Advertisement