Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford to New Ross to be revived

• 19-12-2012 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Front page of the Munster Express carrying a story that the Waterford & Suir Valley Heritage Railway is heading in another direction! Pity is they can't link the two. The website not updated yet but I'll have a look at the hard copy tomorrow I expect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Only in Ireland, insert roll eyes thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

is this maybe the latest from the crowd who claimed to have acquired the New Ross line and a diesel unit to operate it?

Lets be straight, a standard Irish gauge line in the South would be great and I'd be wanting to join if it was anywhere near me. I can't see it happening though.

Are they the same group as the New Ross fruit loops on Bookface?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

what good is rolling stock from NIR or IE to a narrow gauge line?

How is a Narrow gauge line "restoring" it to "it's former glory"?

This wont end well methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

More absolute BS. I would love to see the accounts for the existing Waterford & Suir Valley narrow gauge operation. What next, regauge Waterford/Rosslare Strand? :rolleyes:

Are you right there Michael - the men behind the railway.

SUIR%2B1.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

theirs more chance of me opening an electrified spur from my house to either the rosslare dublin or rosslare waterford lines then this happening, and the chance of that is (yes you guessed it) no chance, if it does i will give a full and frank Apology on this thread.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

I worked for the Bell Lines shipping company in Waterford in 1993 94, I got a footplate ride to New Ross on the fertliser train from a very friendly driver who also used to work Bell Liners trains to crossing point to Dublin.
    But I remember the ride to New Ross, it was very bumpy and the curves where very sharp, I think the train was restricted to 25MPH, but the track at that time was in an awful state, no wonder it closed, but my point, it will cost millions of euros to restored it to the modern day safety stantands, its a pipe dream, these people I don't think have thought through, lots of dreams and ideas, but a lack of reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The heritage railway will be the longest narrow gauge railway in the country
    ...if you ignore the Bord na Mona network which is one of the longest narrow gauge railways in Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

Just to clarify this organisation with the New Ross line is separate to that of the Waterford & Suir Valley Railway (Kilmeadan-Waterford). The one concerned here is the Suir, Nore and Barrow Railway Heritage Co. Ltd, it's getting a bit confusing with all these heritage railways down in Waterford ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are they the same group as the New Ross fruit loops on Bookface?
    No need for posts like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Just to clarify this organisation with the New Ross line is separate to that of the Waterford & Suir Valley Railway (Kilmeadan-Waterford). The one concerned here is the Suir, Nore and Barrow Railway Heritage Co. Ltd, it's getting a bit confusing with all these heritage railways down in Waterford ;)

Sounds like they should merge!

mike65 wrote: »
    Sounds like they should merge!

sounds like a breakaway to me!

[inserts obligatory Life of Brian clip herwe!]

Peoples Railway Of Suir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Looks like the New Ross branch has been cut loose for the last three years. Of course, it makes you wonder what a "relatively new" turnout was doing there in 2009.

http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20170/170%20Infrastructure.htm
    Waterford On 9 August the relatively new and unused manganese turnout to the New Ross branch at Abbey Junction was taken out for use elsewhere. Abbey Junction ground frame was also taken out of use. The branch is now disconnected. The connection to Gouldings sidings at Waterford West was also removed on 9 August.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

The line from Rosslare to Waterford should of never been closed. The old station for foot passengers should of been left where it was and TRAINS TIMED TO MEEY FERRIES!

What took place in the last decade was purposeful corporate sabotage to destroy a potentially lucrative service for foot passengers. There is still a market for these folks, otherwise the train services on the other end would not be improved.

The line from Rosslare to Waterford should of never been closed. The old station for foot passengers should of been left where it was and TRAINS TIMED TO MEEY FERRIES!

What took place in the last decade was purposeful corporate sabotage to destroy a potentially lucrative service for foot passengers. There is still a market for these folks, otherwise the train services on the other end would not be improved.

if the whole lot was somewhere else it would have been left alone, CIE has nothing but contempt for anything to do with rosslare, so not surprised the line to waterford was sacrificed for ennis athenry and the station moved to discouradge foot passengers.

different line altogether

Waterford - New Ross and Waterford - Rosslare are quite unconnected. One goes north south the other east west.

Just found another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056442445 maybe someone could do a merge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Magpie1951

Hey lads I spotted this photo over on another forum and it seems to be some track clearance work going on near where the Gouldings fertillizer siding was at New Ross!!
    551445_10200523153828399_732964992_n.jpg

Anybody on here located nearby who has seen any of this in the flesh?

Has this anything to do with the preservtion group who had claimed to have obtained a licence to run a train on the New Ross line or more likely is this the groundwork being done to allow the trackword to be lifted by IE?

Intriguing picture but whatever is going on it won't be CIE/IE that lift the line as it would be put out to tender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

This line is now cleared nearly all the way from New Ross to Belview port. Anyone know what's the story

Intriguing picture but whatever is going on it won't be CIE/IE that lift the line as it would be put out to tender.

They'd better hurry the f__ up or it'll be lifted for them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

anyone hazard a guess whats going on?

davidlacey wrote: »
    anyone hazard a guess whats going on?

Stocktaking by IE so that they can put the lot out to tender? In the past the tender documents have been very specific - right down to the number of chairs, fishplates, sleepers etc. being offered.

Stocktaking by IE so that they can put the lot out to tender? In the past the tender documents have been very specific - right down to the number of chairs, fishplates, sleepers etc. being offered.
    yet whatever they get still won't save our railways from destruction by those waste of space management

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Greenway anyone???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Greenway anyone???

That would be the most logical outcome. 1995 was the last time a train traversed that line and that record looks like it will continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

A light railway from New Ross to Tramore via Waterford would be a better outcome! :D

*ducks*

and here's the nail in the coffin for rail transport in the South East.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/go-ahead-for-215m-bypass-of-new-ross-1.1332791#.UUsivwDSNLM.twitter

Another vanity project when that money could be used to upgrade other infrastructure in the South East like runway extension at Waterford Regional Airport and the now closed Waterford - Rosslare and the Waterford - Limerick Junction which is just hanging on.

A light railway from New Ross to Tramore via Waterford would be a better outcome! :D

*ducks*

from a flying

2_chicken%20dinner.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Partizan wrote: »
    and here's the nail in the coffin for rail transport in the South East.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/go-ahead-for-215m-bypass-of-new-ross-1.1332791#.UUsivwDSNLM.twitter

Another vanity project when that money could be used to upgrade other infrastructure in the South East like runway extension at Waterford Regional Airport and the now closed Waterford - Rosslare and the Waterford - Limerick Junction which is just hanging on.

Building a bridge further up river much nearer to New Ross would have been cheaper in construction costs & the money saved could have been used for more regional transport related projects ensuring better value.

The land purchase & planning costs are already spent & / or earmarked so it looks like it's this project or nothing. Another grandiose expensive plan which should have been replaced by a more practical option when envisioned.

The bypass is obviously needed but costs need to be drastically reduced.

http://www.mytenders.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=NOV403335&catID=145

This is the tender notice.
    Its Leader not the railway group that are getting it done.

Note it proposes to clear all the way to th Barrow Bridge beyond the station. Track to bridge from station is still there but not in use since 1963.

Also note it suggests one type of development not two as suggested below.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/plan-to-restore-old-ross-to-waterford-line-28981309.html

Which is more likely a walkway or a narrow gauge?

Interesting report - they are trying to source rolling for a 'narrow gauge' railway from CIE and NIR! Somebody should tell them the difference between standard gauge equipment and narrow gauge. :rolleyes: A walkway if anything.

• Advertisement

We've enough narrow gauge already. :(

With all these walkways proposed, the next generation is going to be very healthy, I suggest turning the Waterford / Tramore into a walkway, that is if ye can find it.
    Have the scrappers or lifting gang arrived yet, the line has been cleared according to this thread, should arrive any day now, days are getting longer.

http://www.hidden-dublin.com/images/rail/cab_ride.html

interesting the stuff you could do or they would do for you back then.

Fratello wrote: »
    http://www.hidden-dublin.com/images/rail/cab_ride.html

interesting the stuff you could do or they would do for you back then.

Ah yes, back in the day, I used to get footplate passes for weeks at a time and no questions asked. I did New Ross a couple of times myself, an IRRS/LCGB tour, weedsprayer etc. but it was one of the least interesting runs except for the section beside the river near New Ross.

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    With all these walkways proposed, the next generation is going to be very healthy, I suggest turning the Waterford / Tramore into a walkway, that is if ye can find it.
    Have the scrappers or lifting gang arrived yet, the line has been cleared according to this thread, should arrive any day now, days are getting longer.

The alignment of Waterford to Tramore line was sold off in mid 1961 soon after the lifting save for a small section along the Waterford to Tramore road from the ring road in Kilbarry out to Blackrock. The land in Bath Street and Railway Square has since been built upon. However i did notice that the alignment from Kilbarry as far as Poleberry has been cleared. It got me thinking that had CIE not being so short sighted, Waterford city would have have its own commuter rail not only with Tramore but would have also linked up the housing estates of Avondale and Ursuline Court/Kilbarry right into the city centre in Bath Street.

As regards to the New Ross line, I think we can all agree that the next activity there will be the lifters/scrappers.

• Advertisement

If the money that was poured (with the approval of Bord Failte) into "Bull**** World" aka "Celtworld" at Tramore, which ended up going bust and forcing Tramore Failte to sell the old railway station (their HQ) who knows what might have been possible...

Waterford & Tramore deserves its own thread.

5-min-001.jpg?w=600

http://tramoretrain.com/

If the money that was poured (with the approval of Bord Failte) into "Bull**** World" aka "Celtworld" at Tramore, which ended up going bust and forcing Tramore Failte to sell the old railway station (their HQ) who knows what might have been possible...

Waterford & Tramore deserves its own thread.
    CIE must be abolished and put in the past for the complete sabotage and destruction they have rained upon our railways, the removal of parts of the network and selling off of the land to their little friends and abandonment to squatters must never be forgotten, how did they get that AEC railcar on to that railway if it wasn't connected to the rest of the network? did they build it on site or something?

Whenever locos and stock had to be transferred to the W+T, temporary track was laid across the city from Waterford South to Waterford Manor station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

The section of the
    track corridor to be cleared lies between 'Abbey Junction' off
    Abbey Road on the outskirts of Ferrybank, Waterford to the
    old railway bridge on the River Barrow above Rosbercon,
    just north of New Ross. The successful tender party will
    required to dispose of the clearance debris in an
    appropriate manner.

As far as Rosbercon Bridge, nice. The line sorta disappears north of that

http://goo.gl/maps/hv1xt

7866244.jpg

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    As far as Rosbercon Bridge, nice. The line sorta disappears north of that

http://goo.gl/maps/hv1xt

7866244.jpg

I suppose it would be simple enough to provide a connection to the minor road just north of the bridge so you could get a through route rather than just stopping shy of the bridge?

This post has been deleted.

I see from checking in the new book that the last steam locos delivered to the line were driven under their own steam through the city along temporary track from Waterford South. However, the AEC railcars appear to have arrived at Waterford South and then transferred to some sort of road bogies.

The lines was overlaid by the N30 road from Rosbercon to more or less here a few miles east.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,675676,630110,6,0

But that section of the N30 is to be detrunked as part of the New Ross Bypass and the line is not very intact east of the mark above either. Farmers bulldozed it.

Partizan wrote: »
    As regards to the New Ross line, I think we can all agree that the next activity there will be the lifters/scrappers.
    Im afraid so, its called living in the real world, not fantasy land, just found this thread on the irn, pictures are very resent only taken a few days ago and the reply is more fantasy, going on about fine bridges, theres fine bridges on the Valentia Branch, like New Ross don't think it will see trains again, http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/2672/Re-New-Ross-Branch?page=-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,244 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I see from checking in the new book that the last steam locos delivered to the line were driven under their own steam through the city along temporary track from Waterford South. However, the AEC railcars appear to have arrived at Waterford South and then transferred to some sort of road bogies.

From Edition 1 of the original IRN.

Waterford & Tramore Section

On Monday 8th November the diesel cars for this isolated line were delivered to Manor terminus, Waterford, having been conveyed by road through the city. On Wednesday 17th November, as the assembly of the cars was being completed the 14:10 train from Tramore developed locomotive trouble en route and limped into Waterford. Buses were substituted for the trains, between this hour and about 17:30 on the same day, when the line was reopened by the new two-coach diesel train, which worked the line until 24th November. Then due to mechanical trouble the diesel had to be withdrawn and traffic again had to be handled by buses for a period. The diesel is now back in service.

Edition 4 follows on with this...

Waterford & Tramore
    The three steam locos were removed by road from this section during August and early September. Loco 560 has been re-allocated to Rocksavage (Cork Albert Quay) for work on the Cork, Bandon & South Coast Section, while the other two - Nos. 553 and 555 - have been withdrawn. The last of the old six-wheel passenger coaches has been scrapped at Waterford Manor, and the three articulated Clayton bogie sets have been sold for £45 each for use as summer huts at Tramore. At the time of going to press the four covered and four open wagons were still on the section, although they have been out of use since the withdrawal of steam trains. No track alterations have been made either at Waterford or Tramore, but some resleepering has recently been carried out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement