Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network address translation/Address mapping?

Options
  • 24-09-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First off I have a Zyxel F1000 router. What I would like to do is translate a global ip 88.??? to the local IP 192.??? when I am in my LAN. So for example is I try to ssh root@88.??? the router would translate it to root@192.???.
    I thought I could do this in the address mapping part of the router but that isnt working.

Any ideas what I need to do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

If you're on the local LAN trying to login to the router use the private gateway address (.254). If you're trying to access the router from outside the LAN look into port forwarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Thanks, but that's not what I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You need to use port forwarding and forward on the correct port for ssh, which is 22 from memory. So any requests from outside to the external IP address to port 22 get forwarded to the internal ip port 22.

You need to make sure your internal host is not using dhcp so is at the same 192.x IP address.

When I am inside the LAN I would like to the router to translate the global IP 88.?? to a local IP 192.??.
    I have no issue connecting and port forwarding from outside, its inside the LAN that I want to still use the global IP yet the address mapping doesnt do it with the f1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's probably not do-able at router level with that router. What's your device? A hosts file editor would allow you to use a domain name that you could switch on and off

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

stylie wrote: »
    When I am inside the LAN I would like to the router to translate the global IP 88.?? to a local IP 192.??.
    I have no issue connecting and port forwarding from outside, its inside the LAN that I want to still use the global IP yet the address mapping doesnt do it with the f1000.

So ...you're inside the LAN with 192.168.x.x private IP range and you want to connect to 88.x.x.x:22 !??
    Why don't you connect to 192.x.x.x:22 from inside !? Why 88.x.x.x ?

Use DNS or local host file !?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

rolion wrote: »
    So ...you're inside the LAN with 192.168.x.x private IP range and you want to connect to 88.x.x.x:22 !??
    Why don't you connect to 192.x.x.x:22 from inside !? Why 88.x.x.x ?

Use DNS or local host file !?
    It's not that uncommon. Say you're running a webserver locally. It would be much preferable to access it at the same address every time, rather than having to maintain two addresses.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Using XBMC on different roaming clients, I might be able to add sources through some xml files but would prefer to do this at the router level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Advertisement