Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avenged Sevenfold

Options
  • 17-02-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭

What's everyone's opinion of them?

The first time I heard them was when Metallica came to Dublin in 09 but I wasn't too fussed at first. But only recently i've started listening to the music again and am getting into them now. I think the singer is really good, he's got good vocal ability I think and the songs are decent as well.

My favorite A7X songs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Bunch of trying too hard wannabes.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

I've lost interest since the drummer died. Apparently he wrote most of the melodies anyway! Nightmare was awful. City of Evil is probably their best work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Love this band and Nightmare is one of my favourite albums of the last few years. Put on a great live show, one of the best I have seen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

For me, their best album was Waking the Fallen. I still like City of Evil, self titled was pretty good too. I wasn't overly gone on Nightmare, I found it a bit too slow for my tastes, though I do have a soft spot for the song "Fiction". So far I've seen them twice, once in (I think) '06 with Black Tide and Bloodsimple, and whenever it was they played in Marley Park with Metallica, Mastodon and AiC, and I immensely enjoyed both shows.

Overall, good but not the best, and I preferred them when there was more screaming in the songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

This generation's motley crue... It's ridiculous how much they lifted from Motley, apart from the decent singer.... those nasalised vocals are grating, and every song sounds the same to me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

One of my favourite bands, I hated nightmare when it came out first because it wasnt fast enough but the slow songs are class in fairness. they are one of the best young bands out there at the moment, one of the few that dont scream and shout everything. Havent seen them live yet though which is a sickner!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I love them. They're my favourite band. :) I think their best album is Waking the Fallen, followed by Nightmare. I've seen them live three times over the last few years. Marley Park with Metallica, The Ambassador and the Olympia in '10. Zacky gave me his plectrum at the Ambassador gig! *swoon* :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

One of my favourite bands.

I think A7X get a lot of stick from people and in a lot of cases, it's really unfair.

Waken The Fallen was an unbelievable album.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

I predict they will disband in a year orr so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I never laughed as much in my life before as I did when I saw the video for Dear God.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

This for me tbh:
    Denny M wrote: »
    For me, their best album was Waking the Fallen. I still like City of Evil, self titled was pretty good too. I.

Only saw them once, that was in Marlay Park when they supported 'Tallica. I was one of the posers then that hated A7X because everyone else did. Now I like them. Much prefer the first two albums though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Personally I've loved every album since City of Evil.
    I didn't like Sounding the Seventh Trumpet or Waking the Fallen because I don't really like all the incomprehensible screaming.

Favourite song would have to either be Lost, or MIA.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Bunch of trying too hard wannabes.

Wannabes of what? They're already a hugely successful band, mainly in the US.
    That type of music is not mainstream in Ireland, all ****e on the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Love them, obviously :) I'm quite interested to see how the new album will turn out, considering it'll be the first one with no input from Jimmy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

love them especially afterlife and the beast and the harlet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Love them, obviously :) I'm quite interested to see how the new album will turn out, considering it'll be the first one with no input from Jimmy...
    Yes, this could be classed as a make or break album.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Waking the Fallen and City of Evil are outstanding albums. Not a big fan of Sounding as to me it's just city of evil but not as good. The two more recent albums I go through phases off. There's some brilliant songs of them but some of them just make me cringe a bit sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 6ftTallGuy

City Of Evil & Waking The Fallen & Nightmare - great albums, wasn't too keen on Sounding The 7th Trumpet or the Self Titled Album, the only good songs on the self titled in my opinion were Critical Acclaim, Almost Easy, Afterlife & A Little Piece Of Heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

A bit generic hard rockish. But i enjoyed Nightmare great album. Wish the fan's would grow up and stop spouting the "R.i.p Rev" Stuff everywhere if the band can move on why can't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Their image and fans undermines their music. That being said, they're nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be and aren't terrible musicians. I liked them a lot when I was just starting to get into heavy music and still find some of their songs are catchy, I just cringe sometimes when I listen to them now. I do give them kudos for putting on a great live performance when I saw them at Graspop.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

They're ok, better than a lot of the stuff coming out now. They're not bad musicians but i really dont like their look. They did play very well live in the olympia 2 years ago.

P.S. I'd like them a whole lot more if they hadn't blatantly ripped off overkill's logo....just sayin :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 6ftTallGuy

Avenged Sevenfold Carry On - Set to appear on Call Of Duty Black Ops II :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hvv6BXdQiU

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It was used in the Zombies reveal trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ConstantLove

They ****in' rock my friend. I love every song they have made.Rock ON !

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Avenged Sevenfold are teasing new music
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=77ZEuAK72ms

Avenged Sevenfold have also announced 3 arena shows in the U.K for November/December 2013 with Device & Five Finger Death Punch as support

November 30, Manchester Arena
    December 1, Wembley Arena
    December 5, Birmingham's LG Arena

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

They're playing here in December during the gap in UK dates. Confirmed by Andy Copping and David Draiman from Device on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

seize the day is a good tune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

They're playing here in December during the gap in UK dates. Confirmed by Andy Copping and David Draiman from Device on Twitter.

Any news what exact date or when tickets go on sale?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Are all 3 playing here ? Would nearly go just for 5FDP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Since when did A7X become an arena band? Did they sell out the Olympia last time they were in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

Are all 3 playing here ? Would nearly go just for 5FDP

Apparently so. The rumours are that A7X will be stepping up to headline Download in 2014 or 2015 at the latest. These shows are a test to see if they're capable and part of the test is being able to play an arena in Ireland seeing as anyone can play Wembley these days. Having Device and Five Finger Death Punch (who are a 10,000+ arena headliner in the states but have little to no presence in europe) will hopefully help ticket sales across the board.

Advertisement