Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Price increase??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

Analogue is still being broadcast by UPC (well in Dublin 3 anyway).
    If you cancel, they normally don't even bother cutting it off.

Digital is the same price as analogue so wouldn't cost any more.

It might be worth switching to Sky though as normally the introductory offers for new custoemrs are good.

All the UK channels and Irish channels you mentioned except Setanta are available without subscription.

The UK channels come in from a satellite dish and the Irish channels can be picked up with an aerial.

The main channels available are listed here:

http://www.saorview.ie/saorview-combi/channels/

You then need to buy a combo box (the Ariva 252 costs €100) which is like the UPC/Sky boxes and sits under the TV.

Apart from the setup fees, you wouldn't have any TV bills going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Have been following this thread with interest. My father has a contract with UPC, currently has the basic TV pack (analogue, 14 channels). Anyway, for this he is paying €330 per annum (plus the nice €3.75 payment administration fee). He also received that letter re the contract changes (ie, if he didn't sign up to My UPC he'd be hit with an additional fee for the same service he was getting).

So, he's looking for a package that has all the basic channels (Irish, plus BBC, ITV, Sky News, Setanta Ireland etc).

Any thoughts/ideas? His contract with UPC relates only to TV - should I consider switching to their basic digital package, is it worth giving SKY a shout (they don't have Setanta though, do they?) or maybe consider Eircom's eVision?

Any ideas greatly welcomed, this really seems to be an area where knowledge is king...

Is he happy with what he has? If so, no need to move especially as the price is good (even if it is just analogue).

Signing up to myUPC is a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

iba wrote: »
    AFAIK there is no analogue signal with UPC.

Analogue cable channels in Dublin - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88414136&postcount=15

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clare in Exile

Thanks for replies. He's happy with what he has, just wanted to see if there were other options out there for him. It seems that he could either stay with what he has or upgrade to digital and get more channels for the same price. So, do people think that he's getting good value at the moment - 14 channels for €28.50 per month? Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Thanks for replies. He's happy with what he has, just wanted to see if there were other options out there for him. It seems that he could either stay with what he has or upgrade to digital and get more channels for the same price. So, do people think that he's getting good value at the moment - 14 channels for €28.50 per month? Thanks...

To be honest I would upgrade or leave upc and get saorview if it was me. Mainly due to the ability to get the guide and record/pause/rewind live tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clare in Exile

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    To be honest I would upgrade or leave upc and get saorview if it was me. Mainly due to the ability to get the guide and record/pause/rewind live tv.

Yeah, I know what you're saying but he wants to retain Setanta. He does have Saorview on another TV. If the combo box has Setanta I'd definitely be advising him to go ahead with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

Generally you get better deals if you switch provider but Sky do not have Setanta.

If you want a good deal, ring UPC and tell them you would like to cancel because the price is too high and you can't afford it anymore. They will put you through to cancellations (loyalty dept.) and they will start offering you deals to stay. I think the best you can get is half price for 12 months.

Even if they call your bluff (which they won't) you have 30 days to change your mind

dubrov wrote: »
    Generally you get better deals if you switch provider but Sky do not have Setanta.

If you want a good deal, ring UPC and tell them you would like to cancel because the price is too high and you can't afford it anymore. They will put you through to cancellations (loyalty dept.) and they will start offering you deals to stay. I think the best you can get is half price for 12 months.

Even if they call your bluff (which they won't) you have 30 days to change your mind

You don't even have to talk about cancelling if you really don't have the intention of leaving. Just use the direct number and ask them what they can do for you. The staff in loyalty are quite nice to deal with they'll try and work something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Whats the direct number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You don't even have to talk about cancelling if you really don't have the intention of leaving. Just use the direct number and ask them what they can do for you. The staff in loyalty are quite nice to deal with they'll try and work something out.

Have to say I got no joy from them. First offer was €3 off then €10. eFibre is actually cheaper for me. Don't watch much TV, so a Saorview/FreeSat would probably be enough. Only problem is don't want a 18mth contract. I ideally like a temporary net connection for 3~6months so I could go back to UPC if it all went badly wrong.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Have to say I got no joy from them. First offer was €3 off then €10. eFibre is actually cheaper for me. Don't watch much TV, so a Saorview/FreeSat would probably be enough. Only problem is don't want a 18mth contract. I ideally like a temporary net connection for 3~6months so I could go back to UPC if it all went badly wrong.

If it's only broadband you're looking at, I believe magnet have no contracts.
    Whats the direct number?

Direct number for Loyalty is 061 272190

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Rang UPC a couple of weeks ago about the price increase. Didn't receive a letter at the time (got that yesterday). They told me on the phone it was going up so I told them I'm cancelling. Transferred to customer loyalty who offered me a deal but told them I was only really interested in the broadband.

Anyway I don't really need the broadband now since I got a smartphone so I told I'm giving them 30 days notice. Just got a call this morning from them organising a time to collect the equipment. It was going to cost me over 110 euro a month if I stayed with them. That's over 1300 a year. There are a lot of better things I can do with my money. I'm getting one of those saorview/fta boxes installed when the UPC is gone. Once off bill and a few more bob in my pocket every month, happy days :)

If it's only broadband you're looking at, I believe magnet have no contracts....

The horror stories for them are worse than UPC. :eek:

The horror stories for them are worse than UPC. :eek:

Really? I'm surprised. They're held in high regard by the likes of Netflix. Guess I'll have to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Just received a letter yesterday, saying 'Ignore the previous letter if you received it, the actual price change is 6 euros". (I hadn't received any other letter). Have to love how they phrase it a price change, and not a price increase. Maybe the price is actually going down? Who knows? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Really? I'm surprised. They're held in high regard by the likes of Netflix. Guess I'll have to look into it.

Had about 50 customers on Magnet business packages, most ADSL2 but one or two on ethernet in a business campus. Service is quite good except for surreal routing issues that happened to one customer, repeatedly. Speeds were always as advertised

Support are surly, arrogant, very poorly informed on what they're actually supporting and generally incompetent. Sales would do things like forgetting to supply power supplies for VOIP phone handsets...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

UPC in a recent letter has informed me that due to increases in programming and operating costs they have regretably put an extra €3.50 pm on my bill( I pay every 6 Mths) and it comes to €42 per year.

Then contradicts themselves that If I Regester on MyUPC they will not charge me the extra €3.50 per month.

I have written to Customer Care Manager about this double speak and I have had no reply.

They already have my name / address / account No. so this "Registering" rubbish is a joke. for instance a secret name / my phone No's/ and my date of birth.
    Wtf has my date of birth to do with UPC.
    I have a basic TV package @ €165 for 6 mths and I do not intend to pay any more.

I have fully resolved to rewire / install a satelite dish / and ancilliary antenna for local stations ie. RTE TV3 TG4 etc. and UPC can stuff their cable system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

lionela wrote: »
    UPC in a recent letter has informed me that due to increases in programming and operating costs they have regretably put an extra €3.50 pm on my bill( I pay every 6 Mths) and it comes to €42 per year.

Then contradicts themselves that If I Regester on MyUPC they will not charge me the extra €3.50 per month.

I have written to Customer Care Manager about this double speak and I have had no reply.

They already have my name / address / account No. so this "Registering" rubbish is a joke. for instance a secret name / my phone No's/ and my date of birth.
    Wtf has my date of birth to do with UPC.
    I have a basic TV package @ €165 for 6 mths and I do not intend to pay any more.

I have fully resolved to rewire / install a satelite dish / and ancilliary antenna for local stations ie. RTE TV3 TG4 etc. and UPC can stuff their cable system.

Why don't you just register and you don't get charged the extra €42 per year?

I presume that they use your DOB for security but you don't have to complete that field. It is information that they don't need.

To rewire/install a sat/saorview system will cost you more than your annual subscription but will save you money in the long run.

I always use the same dummy DOB everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Why don't you just register and you don't get charged the extra €42 per year?

I presume that they use your DOB for security but you don't have to complete that field. It is information that they don't need.

To rewire/install a sat/saorview system will cost you more than your annual subscription but will save you money in the long run.

You can install a whole Saorview/Sat system for about €150

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You can install a whole Saorview/Sat system for about €150

You mean self-install, including climbing up ladders with the dish etc?

RainyDay wrote: »
    You mean self-install, including climbing up ladders with the dish etc?

It is easy to self install and you do not necessarily need ladders. A dish can go on a garden wall. This is mine:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/150428/255375.JPG

And look at a pic by Snaps too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056020003&page=10

You can buy a sky dish, cable and LNB on Adverts.ie very cheap - €30 - €40

and then a receiver from as little as €70 or so - check out the Ariva 120, 150, 152, 250 etc.

Or you can buy the kits that they sell in Lidl and Aldi for less than €100

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It doesn't even need to go on the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

It is easy to self install and you do not necessarily need ladders. A dish can go on a garden wall. This is mine:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/150428/255375.JPG

And look at a pic by Snaps too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056020003&page=10

You can buy a sky dish, cable and LNB on Adverts.ie very cheap - €30 - €40

and then a receiver from as little as €70 or so - check out the Ariva 120, 150, 152, 250 etc.

Or you can buy the kits that they sell in Lidl and Aldi for less than €100

Hope that helps.

Thanks, nice to see that it's possible. Do you need any special equipment for aligning the dish?

And to be a bit picky, that's over €200 now, not €150 :P

RainyDay wrote: »
    Thanks, nice to see that it's possible. Do you need any special equipment for aligning the dish?

And to be a bit picky, that's over €200 now, not €150 :P

No, you do not need any special equipment.

No it is not over €200

You can buy the whole kit in lidl/aldi for less than €100

or

You can buy a dish, cable, LNB etc on Adverts.ie for €30 - €50 and a receiver for €70 - €100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

No, you do not need any special equipment.

No it is not over €200

You can buy the whole kit in lidl/aldi for less than €100

or

You can buy a dish, cable, LNB etc on Adverts.ie for €30 - €50 and a receiver for €70 - €100

Its easy when you know how, avoid all satellite dishes sold in Lidl they are complete rubbish...buy a proper dish and if you don't know how to afix properly on your property get someone to do it for you...

I am forever getting call outs from people using the wrong fixings to hold a dish onto the back of the house etc and the dish hanging off or facing the wrong direction which in the long term costs you more money and time..

If your confident the best dishes are the triax ones shown in the pics shown above but once again dont waste your money on any dish sold in Lidl no proper installer out there will put them up as they fall apart due to poor manufacturing hence the cheap cost of them in the first place.

Seems to me, to do it right, especially if you want Irish and UK channels and to be able to record while watching another (two Uk channels) and for for than one TV you can't do on the cheap if you want decent equipment.

I don't see what its got to do with this thread though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Seems to me, to do it right, especially if you want Irish and UK channels and to be able to record while watching another (two Uk channels) and for for than one TV you can't do on the cheap if you want decent equipment.

I don't see what its got to do with this thread though.

Indeed, UPC hasn't been mentioned in ten posts. We've a whole forum for satellite if you want to discuss that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Is it possible to negotiate a price decrease but not go with tyhe horizon product instead stay with your old router and tv box?.
    Is is also possible to get 200MB on the old white thompson modem?

• Advertisement

You can always try.

Just to note you'll need Wifi AC and/or Gigbit Lan on your PC/Laptop to get the most out of 200MB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement