Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Price increase??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

mccard wrote: »
    I called them last week to cancel my package due to price increase. They told me that I am not affected and there is no price increase. Was she trying to fob me off or does it not affect everyone?

Did you get either a letter or an email informing you?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

No, just reading this post prompted me to call them last week. I have not received any notifications from them regarding price increase.

When I called she said as you are not using multi-room you are not affected. Just a bit wary as I forgot to ask for anything in writing.

I am currently on the Horizon Max HD package. Phone + BB + TV.

mccard wrote: »
    No, just reading this post prompted me to call them last week. I have not received any notifications from them regarding price increase.

When I called she said as you are not using multi-room you are not affected. Just a bit wary as I forgot to ask for anything in writing.

I am currently on the Horizon Max HD package. Phone + BB + TV.

Then if they are telling you that there is no increase, there should not be one.

Call again if you want and ask for re-assurance, that the price you are paying now is the price you are expecting to pay in 6-12 months time ... unless you are on the 6 months at 35 euro....

Note the price you are paying in your DD, and if this changes, they are in breach of the contract by failing to notify you of a change to your contract and you are then free to walk away without penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Cool, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Still waiting for my confirmation. I have two multiroom points in the house so I'm sure I'll be notified soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Liberty boy

I wonder if UPC are not increasing any more bills due to the reaction of their customers. If enough people cancelled their subscriptions due to the increase :mad:they would soon change their minds about these ridiculous increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Just got the letter in the post a second ago, it's going up by nearly a tenner a month! Well they can whistle for it, I'll be ringing to cancel this evening.

When I cancelled, they gave me a better deal, so go it !

phasers wrote: »
    Just got the letter in the post a second ago, it's going up by nearly a tenner a month! Well they can whistle for it, I'll be ringing to cancel this evening.

Phone them, tell them you are thinking about moving to another provider, and then tell them you want to speak to the customer loyalty department.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what they can do for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

If everyone is calling to cancel and getting a better deal, then the price increases are backfiring dramatically!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭tb66

Im on The Essential Bundle Anywhere 150 package and rang today to see what i was gaining from the proposed €9.50(less €3.50 online disc)increase.After a while checking the call taker said I was just gaining 1 extra channel but he could offer other packages/options etc at reduced cost.Told him Im happy with what I have but cant justify paying €6.00 extra for 1 channell.He asked was I thinking of switching provoider and when I said yes I got transferred to cust loyality.
    Ended up with a €3 reduction off current price with no increase,bb upped to 50mb.Tied to another 12mths but I was never going to leave anyway.Well worth the call to try save a few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

I got my letter today. Bizarrely they've increased it by 3.50 (account charge) and then discounted by 3.50 as I'm signed up to MyUPC. Net increase zero. Phone charges seem to have gone up.

Letter still says that I can downgrade or quit. I'm on a Horizon 6mth deal so perhaps why there's no other increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

antob wrote: »
    Im on The Essential Bundle Anywhere 150 package and rang today to see what i was gaining from the proposed €9.50(less €3.50 online disc)increase.After a while checking the call taker said I was just gaining 1 extra channel but he could offer other packages/options etc at reduced cost.Told him Im happy with what I have but cant justify paying €6.00 extra for 1 channell.He asked was I thinking of switching provoider and when I said yes I got transferred to cust loyality.
    Ended up with a €3 reduction off current price with no increase,bb upped to 50mb.Tied to another 12mths but I was never going to leave anyway.Well worth the call to try save a few bob.

They have protocol not to transfer you unless you explicitly state you want to leave. Nothing unusual there.

Got in contact with them this morning. Got my price reduced by just under €10 and got bumped up to the top tier horizon bundle with the top tier phone package and all of our extras (multiroom, basic tv point etc) included as well.

Here is the direct number for customer loyalty if you don't want the hassle of having to talk to sales/accounts first.

061 272 190

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Did you actually get a letter from them or did you just ring them up gavmcg92?

smokie72 wrote: »
    Did you actually get a letter from them or did you just ring them up gavmcg92?

Didn't get any confirmation of a price increase. I did, however, know that my multiroom charge was going up to 11 so I didn't need the letter to argue for a new deal.

Didn't even have to mention that I wanted to cancel. Before I got a chance to say anything, the girl in loyalty told me that because we have been with them since 2001 that she would do something for us.

Mind you, I'm ringing back in the next few days to see why I wasn't offered the half price deal for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Previous - Tv (select extra + HD) 30mb broadband, + one multiroom = €75.50

they wanted 7.50 extra so rang them and said I wanted to cancel.

Now - Horizon (essential) 120mb broadband + one multiroom = €61 for 12months

The first woman was trying to sell me the phone package even though I kept telling her I had an unlimited bill pay mobile and had no interest. She was offering me new packages that were the same price as the increase.

Insisted on canceling and loyalty dept first tried to cut my channels but then offered me the same as I had for €68. I told them it was still too little of a service for that money and would like the horizon box. Eventually talked him down to €61 after 30mins of discussing how I would like Horizon even with its problems.
    I was exhausted at that stage so just accepted.

Until next time upc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

quick question guys - if we change our bundle from digital value + to horizon select will we have to sign up to contract for another year?

fifib wrote: »
    quick question guys - if we change our bundle from digital value + to horizon select will we have to sign up to contract for another year?

Short answer - yes. Any upgrade/downgrade/change will put you on another 12 month contract

I have just received an e-mail from UPC saying to sign up to something called Auto Pay, or I will be charged an extra €3.75 per bill. What a shower, I have just signed up for a new 12 month contract and nothing was mentioned about this extra charge they were introducing. Has anyone else got this e-mail. I would leave tomorrow except they would charge me €200 for breaking my contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

You can cancel for free as they have changed the T&Cs of your contract.

Ring them and I'm sure they will confirm the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I have just received an e-mail from UPC saying to sign up to something called Auto Pay, or I will be charged an extra €3.75 per bill. What a shower, I have just signed up for a new 12 month contract and nothing was mentioned about this extra charge they were introducing. Has anyone else got this e-mail. I would leave tomorrow except they would charge me €200 for breaking my contract.
    Auto-Pay is their word for direct debit. They charge an administration fee of €3.75 if you don't pay by direct debit. They are doing away with this charge from March 1st:

Removal of the Payment Administration Fee

In addition, the €3.75 Payment Administration Fee will be removed so customers who do not pay by Direct Debit will no longer see this fee on their bills from 1 March.

http://www.upc.ie/pricechanges/

Thanks Cushie Butterfield that's a relief. I thought I was going to have another row with UPC. Why do they tell you about an extra charge if they are doing away with it ? Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,374 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks Cushie Butterfield that's a relief. I thought I was going to have another row with UPC. Why do they tell you about an extra charge if they are doing away with it ? Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing?

there not allowed charge for Non Direct Debit. so they are removing that charge.

however they are allowed discount for Direct Debits, so thy are increasing the base price and then discounting the fee if you pay by direct debit.

ted1 wrote: »
    there not allowed charge for Non Direct Debit. so they are removing that charge.

however they are allowed discount for Direct Debits, so thy are increasing the base price and then discounting the fee if you pay by direct debit.

Very clever by UPC. So everybody take note, there will be a monthly charge of €3.75 for those who don't sign up to Auto Pay. Anybody ringing up for a new deal remember to ask about Auto Pay charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

deravarra wrote: »
    Short answer - yes. Any upgrade/downgrade/change will put you on another 12 month contract

So if I decided to cancel Setanta Sports it would put me on another 12 month contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

lertsnim wrote: »
    So if I decided to cancel Setanta Sports it would put me on another 12 month contract?

No; premium channels like sports and movies are separate to your basic contract. Every summer, I cancel my Sky Sports and then reactivate it in the autumn, it doesn't re-start my contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

I currently have a sky box with rf 1 & rf 2 out thats split into two rooms but was considering changing to UPC
    They told me it would be €8 or €11 for hd box per extra box from 1st of march

are either of these boxes splittable like the sky box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clare in Exile

Have been following this thread with interest. My father has a contract with UPC, currently has the basic TV pack (analogue, 14 channels). Anyway, for this he is paying €330 per annum (plus the nice €3.75 payment administration fee). He also received that letter re the contract changes (ie, if he didn't sign up to My UPC he'd be hit with an additional fee for the same service he was getting).

So, he's looking for a package that has all the basic channels (Irish, plus BBC, ITV, Sky News, Setanta Ireland etc).

Any thoughts/ideas? His contract with UPC relates only to TV - should I consider switching to their basic digital package, is it worth giving SKY a shout (they don't have Setanta though, do they?) or maybe consider Eircom's eVision?

Any ideas greatly welcomed, this really seems to be an area where knowledge is king...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Have been following this thread with interest. My father has a contract with UPC, currently has the basic TV pack (analogue, 14 channels). Anyway, for this he is paying €330 per annum (plus the nice €3.75 payment administration fee). He also received that letter re the contract changes (ie, if he didn't sign up to My UPC he'd be hit with an additional fee for the same service he was getting).

So, he's looking for a package that has all the basic channels (Irish, plus BBC, ITV, Sky News, Setanta Ireland etc).

Any thoughts/ideas? His contract with UPC relates only to TV - should I consider switching to their basic digital package, is it worth giving SKY a shout (they don't have Setanta though, do they?) or maybe consider Eircom's eVision?

Any ideas greatly welcomed, this really seems to be an area where knowledge is king...

AFAIK there is no analogue signal with UPC

You shoudl phone them.

Does your dad use a house phone? Does he use internet?

if so, a package containing all three maybe teh way to go.

If u want internet stay with UPC

If you do not want internet, sky maybe cheaper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement