Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Price increase??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Currently paying 53 euro for Fibre Power Broadband 50Mb and basic phone, no TV

Cant find a breakdown of the price.

Does the price seem right or am I being overcharged?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

Yes you are being overcharged.

Here are their latest phone/broadband bundles

http://www.upc.ie/bundles/broadband-phone/

The 120Mb package is only €37

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

Currently paying 53 euro for Fibre Power Broadband 50Mb and basic phone, no TV

am I being overcharged?

Yes! Current pricing shows 50 Mb with phone for 37 euro per month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Spoke with UPC this morning. Got a very unfriendly agent who seemed like she couldnt care less.

Told her how we are paying 71 euro for 30mb broadband and basic UPC and a phone we never use. I explained how we might be moving in the next 5 months and that if we downgrade does that tie us to a new contract which she said it does.

I asked her if we move to an area where theres no UPC what happens and she said you will pay the 200 euro cancellation fee.

I said we will have to cancel so and she was going to put me through to them and then said she needs to get approval from the account holder (under girlfriends name)

The girlfriend will call them later and hopefully we will get someone who cares a little bit more.

joe123 wrote: »
    Spoke with UPC this morning. Got a very unfriendly agent who seemed like she couldnt care less.

Told her how we are paying 71 euro for 30mb broadband and basic UPC and a phone we never use. I explained how we might be moving in the next 5 months and that if we downgrade does that tie us to a new contract which she said it does.

I asked her if we move to an area where theres no UPC what happens and she said you will pay the 200 euro cancellation fee.

I said we will have to cancel so and she was going to put me through to them and then said she needs to get approval from the account holder (under girlfriends name)

The girlfriend will call them later and hopefully we will get someone who cares a little bit more.

Did ye get an email to let ye know the prices were increasing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Can I cancel my current Horizon service with them and then reorder a new account in my girlfriends name and get the new customer discounts etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

tostao1014 wrote: »
    Answer my own question . . .

uSwitch ain't great but Eircom's eVision is better value for me than UPC.

eVision Essential Pack
    * 30 of the most popular channels
    * 50MB Unlimited
    * eTalk Off-Peak
    * 60 a month after introductory offer

Will save me a tenner, give me unlimited off-peak calls phone calls and increase my current broadband speed by 20MB.

Also thinking of going with that package too, provided that I get an email about price increases.

Can anyone tell me if Digital Max or The TV point charges are going up? Have yet to receive the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭smurf22

Got email from UPC last week to tell me my bill was going up €4 so its €80 all together

Decided i wasn't having any of it and rang up today to change the package

Result: I've now gotten rid of some rubbish channels i never watch, upgrading on to a Horizon box (If you call that an upgrade) going from 50mb to 120mb broadband and my monthly bill is going from €80 to €68

Thanks UPC, looking forward to the next time you want to increase your profits, i might just switch to freesat or eircom and save even more money

smurf22 wrote: »
    upgrading on to a Horizon box

Please, do not do as I did and let them take your router - unless you want to put up with rubbish wifi and have to go and buy another router ...

deravarra wrote: »
    Please, do not do as I did and let them take your router - unless you want to put up with rubbish wifi and have to go and buy another router ...

Would i be even given a choice?

Would the horizon box work with the old router? not that it matters as i dont use wireless anyway and use a cable for everything i have that needs broadband

• Advertisement

It costs 45 euro to get it done. Kick up a fuss and you might be able to get it for free.

Would the horizon box work with the old router? not that it matters as i dont use wireless anyway and use a cable for everything i have that needs broadband

fair enough so - but you can use the router seperately - as in the services would be deconsolidated - tv thru horizon and broadband/phone thru router.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    It costs 45 euro to get it done. Kick up a fuss and you might be able to get it for free.

The replacement router - Technicolor - has worse wifi than the horizon. Tried n tested...

gavmcg92 wrote: »

Thats sounds like a upc rep just wanted a back hander, cant see why there would be a problem in keeping an older router unless it isn't compatible with the new box

I'll try to hold onto it, if they do look for money, they can go jump for it and if there is problems with the new router they will get constant out calls to replace their faulty equipment until they give me one that works

deravarra wrote: »
    The replacement router - Technicolor - has worse wifi than the horizon. Tried n tested...

Is this just a problem with the actual wifi or the router itself?, as i said i dont use wireless as i dont trust it anyway

Should i expect any problems using a cable?

Thats sounds like a upc rep just wanted a back hander, cant see why there would be a problem in keeping an older router unless it isn't compatible with the new box

I'll try to hold onto it, if they do look for money, they can go jump for it and if there is problems with the new router they will get constant out calls to replace their faulty equipment until they give me one that works

Nope. It's a 'deconsolidation' fee and has been discussed in great detail on the UPC forums. It's not possible to just hold onto your router from them. When you switch over to Horizon, the MAC address on the router you're using will be removed from your account and the horizon box will be set up instead.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Mines going up by €11.50 per month, but thanks to registering with myUPC i get a discount of €3.50. So an increase of €8 per month. Over 12 months, thats €96. Thats currently €20 more than I pay per month. So the increase has meant I now pay for 13 months, for the price of 12, and as a thank you for this reverse offer, I only need to pay an additional €20 once off fee.

Current yearly cost: €912
    New year cost: €1008

Net increase of: €96. Thats an increase of 10.5% (after discount). Based on these figures, it means I can look at the competition much more easily now. I dont use the phone, so all I need is TV and Broadband. As most of the usage was work networking, which I can no longer do due to the transfer protocal used on the server (Port shaping as a response to the torrents), all I need is a browseable internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Just called upc to downgrade from 150 meg to 50.

They try to make you sign up to another 12 mths if you downgrade lads. This is NOT a downgrade without penalty IMHO.

I've no interest in locking myself for another 12 months as I'm currently out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Oatesy

Just as JHet did, I called them to downgrade to 50. (Currently on 60 for €44 for an old deal with which the contract expires in 2 weeks) On 1st March I'll be getting the "free" upgrade to 120MB.

They said I could only be downgraded with a new 12 month contract and that the penalty referred to the cancellation fee.
    I then mentioned the current Fibre 50 deal for 37€ with the first 6 months for €25, and asked her whats to stop me from finishing my contract and cancelling my subscription then getting that deal as a "new" customer. I was offered to be referred to some other customer support area to possibly switch to that deal without the bother of cancelling and setting up a new account.

I'm not in a position to take a new contract even with the obvious savings but maybe its worth a try if you don't mind taking a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Anyone else not get a letter/email yet? Nothing in messages on myUPC either.

I have Digital Select Extra, HD, broadband and 1 multiroom so I am thinking I must be getting a hike somehow.

Only thing is I am having tech issues with reception which might still be ongoing as they said lines between houses down the estate needed fixing.

• Advertisement

pippip wrote: »
    Anyone else not get a letter/email yet? Nothing in messages on myUPC either.

I have Digital Select Extra, HD, broadband and 1 multiroom so I am thinking I must be getting a hike somehow.

Only thing is I am having tech issues with reception which might still be ongoing as they said lines between houses down the estate needed fixing.

Also haven't recieved confirmation of the price increases. Recently changed the email on my account so hoping that didn't mess with the system. We get most of our stuff from UPC in the post so I imagine that's where this confirmation will cone from too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 atomoh

Exo wrote: »
    You're most likely paying €44 already, which is the current price. The increases are indicative of the current pricing. I was paying €42 for the same package, it's gong up by €2 to match their pricing.. if that makes sense. Bull**** move by UPC, but they're giving me 120Mb so I'll let it be.

will the upgrade from 50Mb to 120Mb require a replacement of the modem?

atomoh wrote: »
    will the upgrade from 50Mb to 120Mb require a replacement of the modem?

If you are getting a horizon box, you are better off getting a separate router. Just got one myself and the difference is amazing. Now getting 60+ Mbps from my phone on the 5g band. 2.4 giving me 40 ish. Range is much better too.

Unless you are living in a bedsit, the WiFi will be useless

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Liberty boy

I just got the same e-mail about a price increase from UPC. With the discount they still want an extra €10.50 a month. What planet are they living on. I am on a company pension and have not had a pension increase in 6 years. I have cancelled my contract and am looking around for a better deal. Anyone got any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I have cancelled my contract and am looking around for a better deal. Anyone got any suggestions ?

Sky for subscription channels or Saorview for the Irish channels and Freesat for the UK channels without subscription.

The Cush wrote: »
    Sky for subscription channels or Saorview for the Irish channels and Freesat for the UK channels without subscription.

Can be expensive to set up, but then no monthly fees after that. I'd still try to stick with UPC for broadband if I were you!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

I'm with UPC for 3 years now and I'm paying 50 quid a month for basic tv (no hd, no record functionality etc.) no phone and 30MB broadband, and that's with a discount for ringing them up and complaining after the last fee hike last may/june. Never got told about any upgrades (free phone addition, horizon, bb speed increases etc.) so still on the same package as when i joined - my own fault for not reading about it I guess.

Compared to what I see some people getting I don't think I'm getting a good deal as it is and now they want to increase my fee by 7 quid (with the myupc 'discount') which would actually bring it over what they're quoting as the normal price for my package: Value 50 is 53 per month, with the addition of phone, digital+ and faster broadband.

I'm thinking of switching to magnet as I don't really make use of the TV these days. If I ring up their cancellation line and get put through loyalty what sort of deal should I be able to get? I don't think I was pushy enough the last time I rang. I assume there's no way to not have to sign up to a new contract once you change the terms (e.g. if I just want to take the TV sub out)? In any case I'm sure it'll only be another 6 months by the time they hike it up again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Liberty boy

I just got a call from UPC and they have given me a good deal for 12 months. After that I will have to renegotiate a new deal. My advice to everyone is cancel their contract and see what happens.I saved just over €250 for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Not sure if this thread in bargain alerts has been flagged before but alot of us have significantly reduced our bills by following the advice in the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057131675

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

I called them last week to cancel my package due to price increase. They told me that I am not affected and there is no price increase. Was she trying to fob me off or does it not affect everyone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement