Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon - What you can't do that you could before

Options
  • 13-08-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Would one of the trialists be able to give some details of what was possible before that may not be possible now ( I have heard murmuring of no port forwarding and that wireless is poor).
    Do you have to accept their setup or can you keep your own router?
    Do you have to replace all boxes or just your main one?

Mods, hope this is ok for a thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can't get a wifi signal upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I've a similar question.
    My current setup has the my own router attached to the cisco UPC box and my router setup to be in the DMZ of the UPC box.
    Wireless is handled by my own router and all port forwarding, VPNs, etc work fine.
    So can I still do this with the Horizon box?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

ted1 wrote: »

WTF that's nuts :eek:. Have you got pretty thick walls or floors , etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

• I can't reboot my router without restarting my Cable TV box (or vice versa).
    • Another thing I can't do is delete a TV series. I have to delete one show at a time (which takes several button presses). Quite frustrating.

I have no problems with getting Wifi upstairs (standard 3 bed semi-detached house).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I can't reboot my router without restarting my Cable TV box (or vice versa).

That's a by-product of the 'convenience' of having all of the functionality in one box.
    Another thing I can't do is delete a TV series. I have to delete one show at a time (which takes several button presses). Quite frustrating.

+1 Total pain
    I have no problems with getting Wifi upstairs (standard 3 bed semi-detached house).

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hi
    Would one of the trialists be able to give some details of what was possible before that may not be possible now ( I have heard murmuring of no port forwarding and that wireless is poor).
    Do you have to accept their setup or can you keep your own router?

If you're only in changes to the network functionality then maybe that should be reflected in your thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

coylemj wrote: »
    If you're only in changes to the network functionality then maybe that should be reflected in your thread title.
    Sorry, I may have missed that particular nuance. The Broadband thread might be a better location for the thread in that case.

I still have my old router, but no longer use it. The built-in router offers a far greater level of control than I had available in the old UPC router (for example, restricting usage/hours, access to sites, devices etc.), but I don't use any of this functionality. I have port-forwarding rules set up, but also use PnP, so not sure which is routing the traffic appropriately, but have not had any problems. There isn't anything from a network perspective that I cannot do that I could do previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

A couple of small points:

You can't list the upcoming programmes on the current channel from the info bar/menu, you can now only view Now and Next. You have to go to the Guide to view further programmes.

Previously, if a Reminder popped up, it would switch channel after a few seconds if you did nothing. Now, it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Tango One

ted1 wrote: »
    I have a standard three bed semi and have no issue with wifi on my horizon. My brother on the other hand with a similar sized house was having terrible wireless problems. The box was in the middle of the house so you would expect it to cover most of the house but it just didn't work very far. He move it to the front of the house and all of a sudden the wifi went a lot further even to his rear garden. Bottom line I found is the position of the box and the surround materials have a big effect on the wifi(most people have the box hidden away I guess).I think a fridge behind the box in adjoining room was the issue. In the end he used homeplugs connect to another wireless router to extend the wifi. Maybe when they enable the dual band and 5Ghz features this will solve some peoples issue with wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

I'm considering going full service with UPC Horizon but wi-fi is REALLY important to my household (several users).

Can I bypass the Horizon on-board wi-fi and use own wi-fi router instead?

Ray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

trackerman wrote: »
    I'm considering going full service with UPC Horizon but wi-fi is REALLY important to my household (several users).

Can I bypass the Horizon on-board wi-fi and use own wi-fi router instead?

Ray
    You have a few options
    1 when ordering horizon tell them you want to keep using your original router and not use the horizon as your router

2 horizon is your router
    You can still use a separate wireless router if it can be set up in wireless access mode
    Belkin buffalo asus routers most have this option
    I use this myself and its better wireless than the horizon especially for apple devices

3 homeplugs best if gigabyte version
    You have a master homeplug connected to horizon and another homeplug anywhere you want it in your home

Wireless performance will depend on a few things
    1 location of the horizon
    Try different locations if possible if you have a few different UPC points in your home to get best wireless signal

2 your pc or laptop or wireless device
    Best if all only use wireless N

If you have any device that's wireless G you will have poor wireless performance when your wireless N devices are connected same time as there speed will become wireless G

3 Avoid having horizon or any router near a fridge or metal objects

Baby monitors will effect wireless

Wireless phones using 2.4 Ghz will affect your wireless if near your horizon

Your pc or wireless device might have poor wireless and is only wireless G

Make sure the horizon settings are mixed mode g/n
    Set to 20Mhz only not 20/40 mode
    Security mode be wpa2 or wpa/wpa2
    Also use wireless channels 1 6 11 only try out each to get best wireless if your next door neighbour is using for example channel 1 don't use that channel
    Test with different channels 1 or 6 or 11

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The box is in the same place as the old router was. It's simple got a poor range.

Good stuff Paul, thats the info I needed... u da man.

Cheers

Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

paulboland wrote: »
    You have a few options
    Your pc or wireless device might have poor wireless and is only wireless G

Make sure the horizon settings are mixed mode g/n
    Set to 20Mhz only not 20/40 mode
    Security mode be wpa2 or wpa/wpa2
    Also use wireless channels 1 6 11 only try out each to get best wireless if your next door neighbour is using for example channel 1 don't use that channel
    Test with different channels 1 or 6 or 11

where do you go to set the 20Mhz and security mode setting,
    I've gone into settings - home network settings - Wi-Fi settings.
    Am I missing something obvious?

channel 11 is highlighted when i click on the Wi-Fi channel

cheers,

ciaran75 wrote: »
    where do you go to set the 20Mhz and security mode setting,
    I've gone into settings - home network settings - Wi-Fi settings.
    Am I missing something obvious?

channel 11 is highlighted when i click on the Wi-Fi channel

cheers,
    By using your web browser to login into the horizon router
    [url]Http://198.168.192.1[/url]
    User name is admin
    Password is admin

Wireless
    Wireless Radio
    Basic settings
    You will see the following
    Enable
    SSID
    802.11 Mode
    Channel
    Bandwidth
    Power

Set 802.11 mode to mixed G/N

Bandwidth. 20 MHz

You can also change your ssid to a name you want

Wireless Security
    You can change your wireless password if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

coylemj wrote: »

no all aspects, just mentioned the ones I heard of up until now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

You cant

Guide:
    Browse by day
    Page up or down
    Jump a page right or left
    See anything more then now/next in mini guide

Recordings/On Demand:
    No Skip forward or backwards button
    No Series delete.
    No quick way to delete.

Networking:
    No Bridge Mode
    Port forwarding only works from WAN to LAN, No ability to test port forwarding from within own network.
    Default networking settings appear to not be optimal

I tool the plunge and orderd the 150Mb pack with Horizon TV (It was still cheaper than my Vodafone + UPC combined costs.

Here are my initial comments:
    Box arrived next day... marks 10 out of 10
    Install was simple - marks 10 out of 10
    UPC also supplied a separate wifi router (requested my me) marks 10 out of 10
    The Horizon box is super slick and miles better than my previous UPC box, again 10 out of10.
    Broasband speed: well it's >130Mb and thats as far as the test meter goes!!! 11 out of 10
    (BB was tested with PC directly connected to WIFI ruter lan port, my wifi cards are not fast enough.... yet, but I have some 802.11n cards in the post)

Have not recorded anything yet , but so far I'm super happy.

PS, the wifi coverage on the Horizon box is just as good as the stand alone wifi router (TC7200) so I really did not need it.

I stress that I'm not connected to UPC in any way, this is relly just a good product as far as I can see.

Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

@trackerman - When did you notice the broadband speed increase? I mean how long did it take after installation of the Horizon box?

I got my box today. Everything up and running. No issue. I installed it around 12PM. While the broadband is working it's still showing around 25mb speed. Previously I was on 30mb speed so that's about right.

Now I am on 100mb speed, so I should be getting somewhere around that.

Just wondering does it take long to take effect or do I need to call UPC support?

Mine was 150mb on the same day it arrived, but it is a totally new service for my house.
    I also got 25mb when using my wifi, due to wifi limit. When I connected my PC direct I get > 130mb.

Ray

• Advertisement

Mine was 150mb on the same day it arrived, but it is a totally new service for my house.
    I also got 25mb when using my wifi, due to wifi limit. When I connected my PC direct I get > 130mb.

Ray

Where is the wifi limit set? The Horizon box should support better speed. My laptop is quite new so it's definitely no problem on that.

I will try to check speed connected via cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Where is the wifi limit set? The Horizon box should support better speed. My laptop is quite new so it's definitely no problem on that.

There isn't a wifi limit. It depends on the hardware of the Horizon box, your wireless card and any wireless interference (there can be a lot of this).

As has been said, the limit is defined my by crap wifi card in my PC, it has an overhead and cannot do anthing near 150Mb.
    All wifi will reduce the actual speed due to the overhead of passing wifi packets.

So for all tests you MUST connect a PC directly into your dsl modem.

As has been said, the limit is defined my by crap wifi card in my PC, it has an overhead and cannot do anthing near 150Mb.
    All wifi will reduce the actual speed due to the overhead of passing wifi packets.

So for all tests you MUST connect a PC directly into your dsl modem.

Connected my laptop via Ethernet cable , its still only showing around 30mb which is my old speed. No where near to be supposed 100mb :(

May need to give UPC a call to see what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

Connected my laptop via Ethernet cable , its still only showing around 30mb which is my old speed. No where near to be supposed 100mb :(

I had to call them when I started the horizon trial I was on on 30mb and now on 100mb.

within 30mins after the call I was running at proper speeds.

Sounds like they forgot to activate your higher speed, call them is the best option.

Been playing MW3 tonight and the high speed plus low ping is just amazing for gaming.

I really notice the difference compared to my previous 6mb service which was about 110ms ping.
    Im getting roughly 40ms now from speedtest.ie

I called UPC this morning, dont know what she did but now I am getting over 150mb (wired) speed even though I am only on 100mb :p

I called UPC this morning, dont know what she did but now I am getting over 150mb (wired) speed even though I am only on 100mb :p
    I also get higher speeds 154 mb wired download speed I get but I'm only on the Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb

Quite Happy with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

paulboland wrote: »
    You have a few options
    1 when ordering horizon tell them you want to keep using your original router and not use the horizon as your router

Do they have to enable this or can you do this yourself ?

I have my router in homeoffice upstairs with wired to my PC, which I want - 150MB broadband comes into the house upstairs.

If Horizon now forces me to move to wifi access upstairs for my PC, that's not a good option for me.

Do they have to flick a switch centrally to let me keep my upstairs router running & not use Horizon box as router ?

Advertisement