Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC for landline, broadband and TV?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Emperor Tomato Ketchup

The wife and I were tempted by this as it looks like less hassle than installing a satellite dish and would be less than our current tv/BB/phone costs.

Big issue for me is BBC4 recordable with the upc+ box? I gather from a friend who has Sky+ that it isn't part of Sky's inbuilt channels and so while he can watch BBC4 he can't record BBC4. Unless he attaches a seperate HDD/DVD recorded and records in real time. Which is no good as you can't really do that if you are going out.

Also does the equipment remain yours or do you have to give it back if you cancel after a year? @cos having a box full of recorded programmes might be handy even if you no longer are receiving with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

On Sky you cant record added channels!
    On uPC its part of the package so you can record!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Emperor Tomato Ketchup

On Sky you cant record added channels!
    On uPC its part of the package so you can record!

Thanks, thats what I needed to know.

By the way the box isnt yours unfortunatly! Must be sent back if you leave

One bit of advice if you are joiniung UPC (Besides not to) write down everything you say and time/date of call, put down call references numbers. Basically they are a nightmare to deal with and if you have any way of using a phone that records calls, DO IT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Have TV, Phone and Broadband with UPC around 2 yrs now and very happy with it in general.

Had a big downtime shortly after I got it which turned out to be because they had my address wrong and had disconnected me as an anti-piracy measure. Technician had me up and running again after only 5 mins on site, but I had to wait about 1.5 weeks for the visit that sorted it out.

Other than that, I find it quick and pretty reliable. Sometimes seems to get a flaky period where it will disconnect a fair bit over a day or two, but nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Gillian72

Hiya! I know this is a really old thread, but I wasn't sure if I should make a new, one or not? But I'll post my question here and see what happens. I'll ring UPC tomorrow for advice, but it takes ages to get through to customer care, I thought I'd probably get a quicker answer here. :)

My Mum just got UPC T.V, broadband and landline phone, put in today. My Mum is quite old, so for safety she has three phones. One in the sitting room, one in the kitchen and one in her bedroom.

The UPC guy who connected her told her that all three of her phones will work, but when she tried them, they did not work. :(

The phone in the sitting room is plugged directly into the UPC box, so it is working fine, but the other two are dead....

She is really worried about this, her phone is cordless, but she feels more comfortable having the three phones.

So, does anyone know if there is a way to get the three phones working? Or does the phone have to be plugged directly into the UPC box? The guy from UPC who installed it said that all three phones, in each different room, will work because it's "wireless."

I know very little about technology, my Mum knows even less.... Does anyone know if she will be able to get her three separate phones, in separate rooms, working?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank- you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

They should work provided they are compatible with the network, but you'll have to register the extra phones to the base of the phone that's connected to the modem. Then she just uses the other bases as cradles & chargers (they will still ring & can be answered). You may have to play around with them e.g. you might have to deregister the extra phones from their original bases using the phone settings in order to register them to the base that's connected to the modem.

It sounds more complicated than it actually is.

There is another way, which involves disconnecting the incoming eircom line from the master socket enabling you to just use the phones by plugging them into the existing eircom sockets, but it's far simpler just to register the additional handsets to the main base.

Have a look here: >http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/285/~/register-additional-handsets<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

I have had no problems with customer service with UPC. Had one issue with the package price that they were a little slow sorting but got it then.

In reality, there stuff is pretty reliable and if you pay your bill the number of times you'll have to interact with them is pretty minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

Five Lamps wrote: »
    I have had no problems with customer service with UPC. Had one issue with the package price that they were a little slow sorting but got it then.

In reality, there stuff is pretty reliable and if you pay your bill the number of times you'll have to interact with them is pretty minimal.

Same here,find them over all very good to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Gillian72 wrote: »
    Hiya! I know this is a really old thread, but I wasn't sure if I should make a new, one or not? But I'll post my question here and see what happens. I'll ring UPC tomorrow for advice, but it takes ages to get through to customer care, I thought I'd probably get a quicker answer here. :)

My Mum just got UPC T.V, broadband and landline phone, put in today. My Mum is quite old, so for safety she has three phones. One in the sitting room, one in the kitchen and one in her bedroom.

The UPC guy who connected her told her that all three of her phones will work, but when she tried them, they did not work. :(

The phone in the sitting room is plugged directly into the UPC box, so it is working fine, but the other two are dead....

She is really worried about this, her phone is cordless, but she feels more comfortable having the three phones.

So, does anyone know if there is a way to get the three phones working? Or does the phone have to be plugged directly into the UPC box? The guy from UPC who installed it said that all three phones, in each different room, will work because it's "wireless."

I know very little about technology, my Mum knows even less.... Does anyone know if she will be able to get her three separate phones, in separate rooms, working?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank- you! :)

The probably will work if they are set up properly. Are they all cordless are they wired?

Advertisement