Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotoGP 2014 News & Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

gears wrote: »
    Has any one else seen that there will now be 3 classes in Moto GP...... :confused:

There's the possibility of three classes....it's a big mess created cos Honda are throwing their toys out of the pram at Ducati going Open. For Ducati (or any other bike) to be "Factory 2" they would need to win races, get lots of podiums and from their starting point I cant see it coming anytime soon. Saying that there shouldn't be two classes at all

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

frostie500 wrote: »
    there shouldn't be two classes at all

Completely agree here, it's a prototype class, or at least was until the world economics went mad and only a few teams could come up with the budgets to run a team and the powers that be got scared of having only a handful of bikes on the grid.

I think from that perspective it's a low point in Moto GP history, we can only look forward to Suzuki coming back and hopefully Kawasaki or maybe Aprilia and BMW in years to come, what a grid that would be. We can dream I guess... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I respect HRC a lot for the stuff they have done in the past and their racing history, I can also see where they are coming from with this as they are the only manufacturer that has actually built a customer MotoGP bike for the production based series.
    That said until I see a load of Honda signs around the track then they can take their bikes and go until they are prepared to accept that racing is more than just engineering put into practice but also entertainment.
    They have walked before and took them over 10 years to come back but they ultimately returned.
    Let them go if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Itv4 are rumoured to be showing highlights on the monday evening after the races.
    That cant be a bad thing.
    MotoGPITVON.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I respect HRC a lot for the stuff they have done in the past and their racing history, I can also see where they are coming from with this as they are the only manufacturer that has actually built a customer MotoGP bike for the production based series.
    That said until I see a load of Honda signs around the track then they can take their bikes and go until they are prepared to accept that racing is more than just engineering put into practice but also entertainment.
    They have walked before and took them over 10 years to come back but they ultimately returned.
    Let them go if they want to.
    So Ducati will racing in the "open class".Does that mean they have failed to produce a proper competitive factory prototype race bike for 2014 then.Seems that way going by testing and times.

• Advertisement

lolie wrote: »
    Itv4 are rumoured to be showing highlights on the monday evening after the races.
    MotoGPITVON.png

1 word and 4 letters that will give you all the live MotoGP that you can handle from BT Sports and Arab Bein Sports network via an internet connection hooked up to your TV.All for free.
    Android
    X
    B
    M
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

lolie wrote: »
    MotoGPITVON.png

Can't see them covering much or even any Moto2 and 3 if they only have an hour :( Much more entertaining watching them over the big bikes. Still it's better than nothing.

jpb14 wrote: »
    So Ducati will racing in the "open class".Does that mean they have failed to produce a proper competitive factory prototype race bike for 2014 then.Seems that way going by testing and times.

They have been uncompetitive for quite a few seasons now.
    Going Open instead of factory is a smart move as it allows them to develop the bike over the season much more than the factory option.
    More fuel, softer tyres and more engines and modifications permitted over the year and testing would mean a greatly accelerated development time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Pol Espargaro has broken his collarbone during Sunday evening testing - should be ok for Qatar in 2 weeks time

BT Sport now running promos for Moto GP - not to impressed so far...

• Advertisement

They have been uncompetitive for quite a few seasons now.
    Going Open instead of factory is a smart move as it allows them to develop the bike over the season much more than the factory option.
    More fuel, softer tyres and more engines and modifications permitted over the year and testing would mean a greatly accelerated development time.
    Cals gonna be in for a very long and tough season then.To me the Ducati move to open class is an admission of failure on their part and being unable to give Cal and Dovi a competitive factory machine for 2104.But I think Cal is really only interested in one thing now,lots of money.He said so himself last season when interviewed about the wizeness of moving to Ducati.He openly said on camera to the BBC that hes getting older,he wont race bikes forever and he now has to think of his families financial future.
    It would be nice to see Cal on the podium again this year,but I think its going to be a very long hard battle to get near the podium for him this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

ahhh....MotoGP....i remember it well.........:o

The way the series has moved with limited testing and no in-season engine development has meant if you fall behind for any reason then its almost impossible to regain any kind of parity.
    Ducati's problems in this class have been obvious since Stoner left, and seeing as they couldn't or wouldn't accept that the bike was the problem not the rider/s then they have fallen behind the Honda and Yamaha machines.
    Now with Luigi in charge they seem to be willing for the first time in years to actually be serious about modifying the bike, not sending riders like Melandri to a Psychiatrist!
    Really though having three separate divisions in the same class is ridiculous.

The way the series has moved with limited testing and no in-season engine development has meant if you fall behind for any reason then its almost impossible to regain any kind of parity.
    Ducati's problems in this class have been obvious since Stoner left, and seeing as they couldn't or wouldn't accept that the bike was the problem not the rider/s then they have fallen behind the Honda and Yamaha machines.
    Now with Luigi in charge they seem to be willing for the first time in years to actually be serious about modifying the bike, not sending riders like Melandri to a Psychiatrist!
    Or telling Rossi that he will ride with an all carbon frame and swingarm and thats that.Maybe if Ducati had have listened a few years ago then they would be better off for it now.
    Any news on JB now that Rossi has fired him as his crew chief.
    Is he going to remain on in MotoGP or is he retiring completely now?
    Rossi owes that man so much for his success and 9 titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

1 word and 4 letters that will give you all the live MotoGP that you can handle from BT Sports and Arab Bein Sports network via an internet connection hooked up to your TV.All for free.
    Android
    X
    B
    M
    C

Really? Is it stream or do you download first? Free? That's interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

Good point, yet I still feel Ducati will struggle again this year. Bad moove by Cal Crutchlow

Any news on JB now that Rossi has fired him as his crew chief.
    Is he going to remain on in MotoGP or is he retiring completely now?
    Rossi owes that man so much for his success and 9 titles.
    JB. is kicking back for the year, still on a 1 year contract with Yamaha until the end of the season but having to do sweet FA!
    Rossi, Doohan and Gardner all owe JB a debt of gratitude for their success.
    Yamaha as well for getting them up to pace after the Honda years.
    He said in an interview that he is just enjoying life, and if Yamaha need him to step in at any point during the season he would discuss it and see if it was mutually beneficial.
    Good luck to him I say, he has earned his retirement.

JB. is kicking back for the year, still on a 1 year contract with Yamaha until the end of the season but having to do sweet FA!
    Rossi, Doohan and Gardner all owe JB a debt of gratitude for their success.
    Yamaha as well for getting them up to pace after the Honda years.
    He said in an interview that he is just enjoying life, and if Yamaha need him to step in at any point during the season he would discuss it and see if it was mutually beneficial.
    Good luck to him I say, he has earned his retirement.
    A true mechanical and engineering genius,a once in a lifteime guy indeed.I would love to see him jelp out Rossi again,or more so that Rossi HAS to ask for JBs help again.:)
    I dont think Rossi was very nice in how he parted comapny with JB,not fair to do it like that.:(

A true mechanical and engineering genius,a once in a lifteime guy indeed.I would love to see him jelp out Rossi again,or more so that Rossi HAS to ask for JBs help again.:)
    I dont think Rossi was very nice in how he parted comapny with JB,not fair to do it like that.:(
    JB said that Rossi is still in love with the racing, not the winning.
    JB also said that winning was the reason he went to the paddock not to race but to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

.:)

Rossi is numero uno in Rossiworld.....no one else matters, he'd shoot his own father if it meant him winning again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Android
    X
    B
    M
    C

You sir are a legend. i have been using XBMC for years as a Media server and I never know about the Navi-x plugin to stream BT Sports :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Can't see them covering much or even any Moto2 and 3 if they only have an hour :( Much more entertaining watching them over the big bikes. Still it's better than nothing.

I'd say the'll show some moto 2 and 3.
    There's as much action in a few laps of moto 3 than the whole moto gp race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

RezwoK wrote: »
    Good point, yet I still feel Ducati will struggle again this year. Bad moove by Cal Crutchlow

Apparently its still to be finalised which category Ducati will race in after Hondas hissy fit.

1 week to go !

RezwoK wrote: »

Crutchlow is an old man in motogp terms. he needs to think about the money and in that respect. Ducati is a good move for him.

MotoGP rules updated. It could make for very interesting times ahead.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/Grand+Prix+Commission+decision+on+updated+regulations
    MotoGP wrote:
    1. The Championship ECU and software will be mandatory for all entries with effect from 2016.

All current and prospective participants in the MotoGP class will collaborate to assist with the design and development of the Championship ECU software.

During the development of the software a closed user web site will be set up to enable participants to monitor software development and to input their suggested modifications.

2. With immediate effect, a Manufacturer with entries under the factory option who has not achieved a win in dry conditions in the previous year, or new Manufacturer entering the Championship, is entitled to use 12 engines per rider per season (no design freezing), 24 litres of fuel and the same tyres allocation and testing opportunities as the Open category. This concession is valid until the start of the 2016 season.

3. The above concessions will be reduced under the following circumstances:

Should any rider, or combination of riders nominated by the same Manufacturer, participating under the conditions of described in clause 2 above, achieve a race win, two second places or three podium places in dry conditions during the 2014 season then for that Manufacturer the fuel tank capacity will be reduced to 22 litres. Furthermore, should the same Manufacturer achieve three race wins in the 2014 season the manufacturer would also lose the right to use the soft tyres available to Open category entries.

In each case the reduced concessions will apply to the remaining events of the 2014 season and the whole of the 2015 season.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/Grand+Prix+Commission+decision+on+updated+regulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

So who's signed up to BT? I'm undecided a quick google provided some links to streaming and it is a great excuse to head to a pub on a sleepy Sunday morning if I don't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I've signed up to BT.
    Nice programs on yesterday, good snippets from all the riders about races over the last decade and about the rivalries.

On race weekends Motogp will be running all day, unlike previous channels where we got the race and nothing else.

Looking good so far.

valerossi wrote: »
    So who's signed up to BT? I'm undecided a quick google provided some links to streaming and it is a great excuse to head to a pub on a sleepy Sunday morning if I don't get.

I signed up to motogp video pass for 99 euro for the year. i can watch all of last years racing plus all the other videos on the motogp website. Since i'm not into any other sport its the best option for me

• Advertisement

valerossi wrote: »

I signed up alright, I went with the 12 month sub for €199. I follow the WRC too so with both sports there it made me justify it. Plus my internet connection can be really slow at times so the video pass could have led to violence :o

Advertisement