Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karting in Ireland

Options
  • 14-10-2013 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hello, I've been thinking lately about doing some track days, the main thing hindering me is the cost and hassle(for me) of doing them in a car, which has started me thinking
    of karts, and buying my own machine for some track time in it.

Whats the story in Ireland with lads bringing their own karts to venues just for testing and open sessions etc, is there many places in Ireland that cater for this?
    As this would be a potential deal breaker in my decision to buy a kart, knowing that I can(or can not as the case may be) just load the kart into the back of the van and head off to one of these venues to avail of track time at them in my own machine.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's already a large thread on this issue and also taking into account the other cheap forms of motorsport.

Yes you can take your kart to most of the kart tracks for testing. I think it's in the region of €50.

The bottom line on karts seemed to be that their not quite as cheap as you'd think. You'll need a fair amount of gear to go with your kart purchase and your probably looking at around the €2000 - €3000 mark just to get everything you need to run your kart on a track but that includes the kart. Once you want to race it the skys the limit on how much you spend.

It would be no easier or cheaper than getting into the kind of series that run the likes of Ford fiestas in race spec (considering you were using a trailer to pull it around. But it is a standardised sport (set engine regulations and so on mean there's less confusion in what's aloud) and there are more tracks to take advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Links...
    Looking for cheap motorsport to get into
    General Karting Discussion Thread

Practically any outdoor kart track will allow you take your own kart out for testing. Usually you will be trading turns with their rental karts.

What's your budget? Need to know how much you can afford for both initial purchase and ongoing expenses. What storage do you have? Have you been to a kart race or seen any kind of racing kart in action? Is speed important to you?

For cost, the sky is the limit for spending in any motorsport, end of. Are shaved tyres allowed in the Fiesta's? If so that's a decent chunk of cost there.

The main reservation I have about cars is that the costs can stack up quick when you hit stuff, including other cars. In karts, unless its a huge hit, you clean the rubber off the bodywork with some acetone and go again. Given that a kart weighs <180KG with you in it, if you have an off chances are greater for you avoid hitting something solid. With a 1,300KG car, not so much.

@scumlord I'm not entirely sure where you got the idea that Karting isn't a "standardised" sport.
    I said it is a standardised sport.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I said it is a standardised sport.

Ah, I read your post as saying the Fiesta cup was standardised inferring that karting wasn't..... Carry on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Well lads, thanks for the replies. Just had a read through the karting thread there, dunno why that thread didn't come up for me when I posted originally as I did a search for karting beforehand, I must have missed it. That's a great thread and its answered a lot of questions I had.

As regards my own circumstances, my current budget is €0! I've been out of work for an extended period due to a health issue, but that's sorted now and I'd be thinking of starting to look for a kart sometime in or around next summer, work situation and finances pending.
    I plan to spend around 2.5k for a complete 2nd hand package, exc helmet.
    Storage etc isn't a problem as I have access to a workshop and tools.
    I'm not hugely worried about the costs becoming level with or exceeding that of track daying or racing a car, as I think I'd still get more fun and bang for buck tracking/racing a kart. I have an Astra that's becoming close to track spec, yet going to the tracks with a kart appeals to me a lot more. Anytime I've driven karts since my youth I've gotten a great buzz out of them.

As regards what sort of speeds I'd like, well I'd hate to be in anything a bit slow, that might bore me, from the brief reading I've been doing the gearbox karts look like brilliant fun, but don't look suitable for novices like me at the min. I'd be expecting to start off in the gx prokarts? Or what about the rotax machines? I'd love to be in a 2 stroke machine simply for the noise and the buzz, more maintenance and rebuilds wouldn't put me off too much due to having the workshop handy.

• Advertisement

Gx would be an economical way to start. For speeds.... heres some comparative lap times from when karts ran at Mondello, national circuit. This is from my memory so be patient here..

Cars
    Ritmos 1:12
    Fiat Unos 1:09
    Strykers 1:05
    Sierra Cosworth 1:04
    Vees 1:02
    FFord Zetec: 55s

Karts
    Prokart (Twin GX160): 1:11
    Rotax Max: 1:01
    100cc Formula A: 59s
    125 Gearbox: 56s
    250 Gearbox: 53s

The max isnt a lot of maintenance on the scheme of things, especially if you are just using it for fun. There's a few rebuild guides that give tolerances and so on.
    I race the gearbox stuff and just got done building a GX (clone) for the wife, to be honest on a twisty track the GX was still very fun despite being nearly 40-60HP less. Whats great about the "slower" stuff is that the corners are still just as fast, but you have more time in between them to think about what worked/didnt work at the last corner, plan the next etc. So you can really focus on driving, setup and observation. The last one is the absolute key to fast times.
    Yeah wouldnt reccomend a gearbox for a newcomer for a series of reasons. One being you will learn more with the slower stuff and second it will physically beat the living piss out of you, even if you are pretty fit.

I'm not hugely worried about the costs becoming level with or exceeding that of track daying or racing a car, as I think I'd still get more fun and bang for buck tracking/racing a kart.
    You'll certainly get that out of a racing kart, they're a completely different kettle of fish to the things you hire at the tracks. I think the gearbox ones have a ridiculous 0-60 of something like 3 seconds and can do well over the tone. The standard ones are still doing something like 50mph which seems damn fast when your arse is scraping the ground. They're great for teaching racing lines because of the lack of power you have to concentrate more on the perfect line and clean driving.

I didn't really even know about race karts until I played Kartracing pro a karting simulator and the kart was one of the more rewarding things I'd driven in a sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Bought a kart today, I went against all logic and sense by buying the very first one I viewed, but I liked what I saw, and the owner was genuine, and a true enthusiast, so I took the plunge. Its an 08 Tonykart with an 09 sealed 125 Rotax, got a great deal on the kart and spares and race suit and gear etc. Next stop, practice time, and getting myself into shape physically!

Advertisement