Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Way-hay, so it's all about the Dubs running up cricket scores (geddit?) against everyone one?

Ok then, I'm down with that. So, how much are we gonna bate them Laois boyos by then, 10,15,20 plus pts?

Wait, sorry, this is the Rossie thread....my bad....exits stage left....

450mmx150mm-LEFT-exit.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Where is that sign pointing to...Carrick ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

Sure they will get beat by Sligo like last yr with the help of god.
    But if they don't they will be In for one hell of a welcome when they come to Castlebar

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

naughto wrote: »
    But if they don't they will be In for one hell of a welcome when they come to Castlebar

My God. Back to your own thread.

you're obsessed with Roscommon
    great to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Higgins, Comp, Carty, Kilroy and Enda and Donie Smith back in full training. Some quality additions there when they're back up to speed. Killer and Harney nearing fitness too thank God. If we catch a break with injuries we might finally have a full hand to pick from for the summer ahead.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=256117

Great to see the long injury list finally abating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Think I'm right in saying we haven't beaten Sligo at home in the championship in 27 years!

Hopefully we correct that today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Think I'm right in saying we haven't beaten Sligo at home in the championship in 27 years!

Hopefully we correct that today.

bar a draw, when has Roscommon played Sligo in Roscommon in the Championship? The losses in 1997 and 2015 were in Sligo. Drawn in 1998. We have not played Sligo that many times in that period, from the best of my memory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Lt Dan wrote: »
    bar a draw, when has Roscommon played Sligo in Roscommon in the Championship? The losses in 1997 and 2015 were in Sligo. Drawn in 1998. We have not played Sligo that many times in that period, from the best of my memory

Beaten in 07 too

• Advertisement

Beaten in 07 too

My bad , good call, and that was in the Hyde. Didn't Maughan get sacked after that? Was that the game where he made comments about Roscommon fan's expectation only for Michael Lyster to point out that it would be the fans who determine one's chances of renewal of contract - or was that just Carr ( I know he said it too) Should have remembered , the 10th anniversary of THAT loss in 1997. And the same man (from Mayo of course) was the first to remind me of the loss

So yes, 27 years . Bad, worse still is our record against them, regardless of the ground. Just 2 wins 2 losses and a drawn. That is ghastly against the likes of Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

How is Donie Shine an inter county footballer? He reminds you of the 40 year old playing junior football who was a good county minor

What divisions did these teams play in this year? Why was the goal chance passed on? No need for the extra solo should have went for it himself.

In the last 7 minutes there was enough to have scored 1-3 . My god they have learned nothing from last year. Roscommon's last attack Cregg went on a fine run, kinda took took much out of it, ball gets recycled and instead of passing it out to a shooter hand the ball back to Sligo only for Sligo to get two attempts to score a goal (handled on the ground)

Complete and utter joke

Thank God for Niall Collins. We will be walking out of Castlebar to catch the train with 15 minutes to go if they play like they did in the first half. The game was effectively over with the first black card .

NPC and Keenan the best on the day. Enda Smith and his big bro added something when they came on - great to have them back. As long as Comp, Shine or Higgins have no setbacks we should have some options for the middle in four weeks' time. Diarmuid will hopefully be OK by then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Enda Smith was fantastic when he came on. With him and D Murtagh back along with Compton or Shine in the middle we'll be in better shape. No pressure on us going into the Mayo game, but if we give our forwards a platform to play on we could have a chance. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

TimRiggins wrote: »
    ...No pressure on us going into the Mayo game,...

Of course there'll be pressure, and there should be. What's the point of the progress made over the last number of years if we don't expect a result in the Connacht final. We need to drop the notion that we're just hoping for the best against Mayo or Galway. We've made enough progress now that we should be at least quietly confident that we have the players and the management setup to achieve things now. Like winning a Connacht title. Not saying it won't be difficult, Mayo showed us in the league that they still have an edge in some areas (physicality, experience, midfield options), but we're not that far off. We need to believe :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Still scratching my head over yesterday.

While Sligo weren't 8 points a better team by half-time, Roscommon can't claim they didn't deserve to be that far down. The first half (or the last 15 minutes of it) can be summed up in one word - SLOPPY! There were far too many silly small errors, really simple things like not being able to pick the ball up, misjudging the flight of the ball, short handpasses going too low/high, little things that frustrate because they're the sort of things that really shouldn't be happening, even at lower levels. And obviously the worst blunder of all was the blatant PANIC that made Mulloolly give away such a moronic penalty. He played fine otherwise and with Collins back I think he could be tried at centre-back where there is a massive problem.

While Hughes played well I had sympathy for his markers as there was some lovely ball fed into him but unfortunately, as was highlighted on TV, at no stage was he double-marked, which was inexcusable as he was virtually their only outlet, so why not commit someone to float in front of him?

In fairness I think the very, very strong wind had an influence because it meant Roscommon were nearly trying to walk the ball into the net or get extremely close before point attempts, but Sligo had the numbers back to frustrate.

When you think of it, three points directly from poor kickouts and two comical goals = 9 points. That's unforgivable and if Mayo (probably) get those gifts it's game over.

On the bright side, our attacking play (when it finally got going) was at times excellent, though a number of good moves were spoiled by fumbling. However, it was good to see the relentless nature of the attacks. The support play was ever-present, always an outlet/runner and the finishing was very good - very few missed chances in the second half.

A major factor in the Connacht final could be who is played at centre-back and who is fit/available for midfield. There are four weeks to get those areas sorted, so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was at the game yday as a neutral,thought Sligo faded v badly in last 20 mins,but in 1st half Roscommon were very slow to react to the fact that Sligos only real 'out' ball was to Hughes.If I was a Rossies fan I would be disappointed with ability of management not to react to this quicker.If Marren hadn't been daft and got sent off needlessly the result would have been closer.

Was at the game yday as a neutral,thought Sligo faded v badly in last 20 mins,but in 1st half Roscommon were very slow to react to the fact that Sligos only real 'out' ball was to Hughes.If I was a Rossies fan I would be disappointed with ability of management not to react to this quicker.If Marren hadn't been daft and got sent off needlessly the result would have been closer.

• Advertisement

Sorry for double post:)

Sorry for double post:)

stop bleating on about it...

Of course there'll be pressure, and there should be. What's the point of the progress made over the last number of years if we don't expect a result in the Connacht final. We need to drop the notion that we're just hoping for the best against Mayo or Galway. We've made enough progress now that we should be at least quietly confident that we have the players and the management setup to achieve things now. Like winning a Connacht title. Not saying it won't be difficult, Mayo showed us in the league that they still have an edge in some areas (physicality, experience, midfield options), but we're not that far off. We need to believe :D.

Mayo's midfield advantage is more than just 'an edge'. Even if we go into this game with Shine and Compton in the middle chances are they'll destroy us around the middle third. If we make the mistakes we did against Sligo from kickouts they'll be punished by a goal rather than a point.

Look it, shocks happen in sport, but if Mayo come in all cylinders firing and up for the game it's hard to see us winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Fully fit and on top form cathal shine would be huge for us even against mayos midfield trio...however shine won't start vs mayo

Will be interesting to see what we do against mayo. Niall Daly will start at 8 but won't play in the middle. Starting Compton would be a massive gamble despite the fact he probably will be captaining this side 3 years from now barring injury

Regardless who starts vs mayo we need to win some breaks in the middle, I lost count the number of times Sligo picked up secondary ball from our initial knock ons last sunday

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Fully fit and on top form cathal shine would be huge for us even against mayos midfield trio...however shine won't start vs mayo

Will be interesting to see what we do against mayo. Niall Daly will start at 8 but won't play in the middle. Starting Compton would be a massive gamble despite the fact he probably will be captaining this side 3 years from now barring injury

Regardless who starts vs mayo we need to win some breaks in the middle, I lost count the number of times Sligo picked up secondary ball from our initial knock ons last sunday

Why won't he? If he's fit he should be selected and is getting back to full fitness with 4 weeks to go.

Agree with the breaks. If we can't win primary possession or breaks we're in big big trouble.

Hopefully D Murtagh is back too. We need him for this one.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Why won't he? If he's fit he should be selected and is getting back to full fitness with 4 weeks to go.

Agree with the breaks. If we can't win primary possession or breaks we're in big big trouble.

Hopefully D Murtagh is back too. We need him for this one.

Management only play fully fit players going well in training. It's been that way all year and it's why unheralded players have started matches in nearly every game for us. Cathal Compton much more likely to start than Cathal Shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

How's that working out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭degzs

where is the Connacht final going to be played ?

I take it will be Pearse Stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Our concerned friends from Mayo are awful quiet the last days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

rossie1977 wrote: »

And I thought James Horan was bad.:D

Advertisement