Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N4 since the toll road opened

Options
  • 23-02-2006 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed (and it may have been posted) that once the new M4 toll way opened the speed limit on the N4 dropped from 100 to 80 along the whole stretch until after Kinnegad?

It used to be 100 from Kilcock then dropping to 80 on the way to enfield then 100 from Enfield.. then it alternated between the two for a while until Kinnegad.
    Its like they are forcing drivers on to the overpriced motorway by making it illegal for them to drive at 100kph on a long straight stretch of road when it was perfectly safe before the motorway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Shock horror gasp. They wouldn't do that would they...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Saruman wrote:
    Has anyone noticed (and it may have been posted) that once the new M4 toll way opened the speed limit on the N4 dropped from 100 to 80 along the whole stretch until after Kinnegad?

It used to be 100 from Kilcock then dropping to 80 on the way to enfield then 100 from Enfield.. then it alternated between the two for a while until Kinnegad.
    Its like they are forcing drivers on to the overpriced motorway by making it illegal for them to drive at 100kph on a long straight stretch of road when it was perfectly safe before the motorway.
    That'll be because the N4 used be a national route (with a max speed limit of 100 km/h), but now it's only a regional route whose max can only be 80. Hence the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

???? Why is it only a regional route? Its still the N4 which is a national road. It has not been replaced with a new national route.. A private toll motorway has been added alongside it, so should it still not be a national route??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Saruman wrote:
    ???? Why is it only a regional route? Its still the N4 which is a national road. It has not been replaced with a new national route.. A private toll motorway has been added alongside it, so should it still not be a national route??
    It's not the N4 anymore. The M4 is only a name, the motorway's legal name is N4 and the old N4 now has a regional road number. It's a con alright. National routes replaced by tolled motorways should retain their original speed limits IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭cormthechippy

That's ridiculas. Speed limits don't always make sense in Ireland. Some of the dodgiest country lanes with grass in the middle of the road, are 80km/h! And then just because the old N4 looses it's name, it gets the same limit? Ridiculas, 100km/h is perfectly safe. It's the same story with the old N1 near Julianstown anyway, 80km/h limits with Gatso's, and signs still show N1 on them. Speed limits should be dished out, and suited to the exact road in question, not just "this is a secondary route, with more bends than a roundabout, but sure 100km/h is grand". The N81 from Blessington to Baltinglass is atrocious, a vicious road, and a 100km/h limit. Most of the time it's impossible to even reach near that.

• Advertisement

Agreed... and then you have 3 lane dual carriageways like the Naas road with 50kph coming off the M50 (120kph).

This is obviously the government trying to force people onto the toll road.
    I mean in fairness i use the Toll road most of the time.. it may be €2.50 each way but its a LOT quicker and more importantly far less hassle and less stressfull than being stuck behind slow trucks and cars on the old road.

However its still unfair to change the speed limit down or change the roads designation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

80 kmh is a safe speed limit for that road in my opinion. 100 was too high. Do you people not see how many people are being killed on our roads? It's happening on roads just like that.

80 kmh is a safe speed limit for that road in my opinion. 100 was too high. Do you people not see how many people are being killed on our roads? It's happening on roads just like that.
    The limit on that road wasn't all 100km/h. What makes the former 100km/h stretches less safe since the motorway opened? The road may in fact be a bit safer as there are fewer cars to crash! Your 'logic' implies we should cut all speed limits without any thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

Drove the M4 yesterday, not a truck in sight. One glance left to the old N4 and the trucks were streaming along it. Was on it during peak hours and traffic was very light. Its a great road, but couldn't be making money for the operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

spacetweek wrote:
    That'll be because the N4 used be a national route (with a max speed limit of 100 km/h), but now it's only a regional route whose max can only be 80. Hence the change.

Same thing happened to the N1 when the M1 was opened. The limit was reduced to 80kph and it was rebadged the R132.

• Advertisement

It's suprising how many northern cars still used the old N1 to travel north, why in the name of God?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

murphaph wrote:
    The limit on that road wasn't all 100km/h. What makes the former 100km/h stretches less safe since the motorway opened? The road may in fact be a bit safer as there are fewer cars to crash! Your 'logic' implies we should cut all speed limits without any thought.

My "logic implies" that 100 was too high (for any stretch of the N4 between Kilcock and Enfield) in the 1st place as I stated. I drive it at 80 and at no point do I feel I'm driving too slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It's suprising how many northern cars still used the old N1 to travel north, why in the name of God?!
    Tight Bastards?

My "logic implies" that 100 was too high (for any stretch of the N4 between Kilcock and Enfield) in the 1st place as I stated. I drive it at 80 and at no point do I feel I'm driving too slow.
    So you personally feel 100km/h to be too high, fine. Grannies often feel like 50km/h is fast enough on a motorway, should we make that the new 'safe' speed limit on them? Course not-the former stretches with 100km/h were fine and would have been safer as fewer cars are using them. Slashing speed limits across the land in recent years hasn't saved any lives by the way. We're still killing each other in the same numbers as before metrication when 90% of Ireland's roads saw a decrease in speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

They may be observing the law.
    1) They may be driving on a provisional which doesn't allow them to drive on motorways, a law that most people in the South seem to ignore.
    2) They may have their full licence for less than 1 year and cannot drive on a motorway unaccompanied.

Hagar wrote:
    They may be observing the law.
    1) They may be driving on a provisional which doesn't allow them to drive on motorways, a law that most people in the South seem to ignore.
    They wouldn't legally be allowed to drive outside the UK on a provisional (and possibly just NI given the peculiar licencing laws up there), accompanied or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

spacetweek wrote:

There is no law preventing a local authority from applying a limit higher than the 80km/h default to a regional road. Likewise, it is valid and legal to apply a 120km/h limit to a "Green Motorway". Can we get a sticky thread for this particular misconception? It seems to crop up weekly.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

It is valid and legal, but it has to be officially declared by the local council. Without the council actively doing so, the speed limit will have to fall to the default for the new class of road. The issue of planning and accesses to the road from neighbouring fields (sites) also arises as it's easier to develop land along the alignment if the speed limit is lower. As councils can't impose direct taxes, development levies are a major source of income.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

another reason is they might be tourists and going to somewhere local, and/or bypassing the Drogheda toll bridge.

After you pass a test up north you have to wear R plates for a year and are limited in the speed you can go. None of your answer a multiple choice and then do 70mph on a motorway with having to worry about anyone checking you on you up there.

jlang wrote:
    It is valid and legal, but it has to be officially declared by the local council. Without the council actively doing so, the speed limit will have to fall to the default for the new class of road. The issue of planning and accesses to the road from neighbouring fields (sites) also arises as it's easier to develop land along the alignment if the speed limit is lower. As councils can't impose direct taxes, development levies are a major source of income.

Exactly... i noticed that today in Mullingar! 100kph road from Mullingar to Tyrellspass and on to Tullamore.

@TheBigLebowski I was not talking about the short stretch from Kilcock to enfield.. i was talking about the whole length to Kinnegad. As i said it was 100 from kilcock (where its long and straight) then when it narrows and winds it was 80 then from enfield it was 100 again except at narrower bendy sections where it was 80. they were perfectly fine speed limits as they were and STILL if i was doing 100 i would have someone overtake me.

Speed limits do not save lives unless enforced... and speed does not kill, careless driving kills.. what kills people is overtaking 20 cars and hitting a truck head on. Thats what kills... not the fact you are driving fast.
    What we need on rural roads are lots of slow lanes every few miles where possible... people are not going to be too impatient if they know they can overtake a slow driver a few mins down the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

After you pass a test up north you have to wear R plates for a year and are limited in the speed you can go.

Not on this side of the border - there's no provision in Irish law to restrict the scope of a full EU licence.

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

I’m not usually one for conspiracy theories but is there a cynical political motive behind the downgrading of national routes that have been bypassed by new stretches of motorway to R status? Does this transfer the cost of their maintenance to the DoE and local authorities from the NRA/DoT* allowing the latter to spend most of their budget on vote grabbing… er, building shiny new roads.

I understand the reasoning behind removing the N4 route number: this has been taken by the motorway and would be quite confusing if left in place as M4 and N4 sound alike. But could a new, unused Nx not have been assigned? A routes, often primary, are found running alongside motorways throughout the UK. Of course, the various departments responsible for roads in Britain can’t offload them to some other department through reclassification.

And why have some of the downgraded routes still not had their signage changed to reflect this? The situation on the R132 is completely misleading. I mean I’ve heard of the manana culture in Spain but there must be a never ethos in local government down there! Why do LAs in the Republic find maintenance/keeping things up to date such an overwhelming task – is it just laziness? They make your typically lethargic authority in NI look like a well oiled machine.

After all, it’s the land of the Celtic tiger for goodness sakes: putting up road signs can hardly compare to manufacturing high-tech components for Intel!!:confused:

*Shouldn't this department really be the DoST - Department of Some Transport for when it comes to the road network it only has authority over a bit of it?

MT wrote:
    is it just laziness?
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Louth residents?, many of whom drive NI registered vehicles

Litcagral wrote:

Good point. I'd love to live near the border, I love the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

Saruman wrote:
    Exactly... i noticed that today in Mullingar! 100kph road from Mullingar to Tyrellspass and on to Tullamore.

The Mullingar to Tyrellspass to Tullamore road is a national route N52 hence the 100kph. It probably shouldn't be with all the crashes that happened there just outside Mullingar a couple of years back, but when you leave things to the councils to do themselves you can be sure that nothing will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Bond-007 wrote:
    Tight Bastards?

My ould fella (northern incidently) would agree with you.. He reckons the country are the tightest shower..

Litcagral wrote:

Would be doing this myself if I was back in me home town :) register her in my grand parents place in Newry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I'm looking for the "old" N4 and can't find any maps of it on the Internet. I may need to go to/from Dublin soon and have to avoid the motorway completely. What route numbers were the old roads or is there an easy way to identify it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SeanW wrote:
    What route numbers were the old roads or is there an easy way to identify it?
    It used to be known as the T3.

But it's still signposted as the N4 with Green signs.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/ - click the box to avoid motorways.

That 80 Kmph section would be an ideal candidate for 2+1 as it's wide enough. Instead much of it has a central rservation of white hatching. Took about 27 minutes to bypass the tolled section of motorway on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

Cheers :)

Advertisement