Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hg658c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I've finally figured it out:

So I reckoned the router must have been damaged in the flashing process so I called vodafone and I was greeted with a message that my internet account had been suspended as the bill had not been paid - I had forgotten to update the account with new visa details :rolleyes:

Very typical that the service would be cut off the night I had flashed the router with o2 firmware - which in turn has nearly driven me insane!

thanks everyone for your help,

Kev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Dermot McDonnell

yuloni wrote: »

The only firmware, other than Vodafone, for the HG658c is the O2 release, afaik. I have tried running a couple of OpenWRT builds as support for the HG658c SoC appeared there recently but I have not had much success. In any case, xDSL will never be supported by OpenWRT.

Root access via telnet is very useful for those with linux skills as it offers far more scope for router configuration than the ISP supplied GUI interface.

• Advertisement

Excellent work!

A good strategy is to use the GUI to makes changes and see what files change of the router, in general you can use a text editor (vi, sed...) to edit those files using telnet and, of course, make changes that the GUI does not facilitate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I got this modem installed yesterday but I want to move over to my Fritz Box 7490, could anyone tell me what settings I need?

54kroc wrote: »
    I got this modem installed yesterday but I want to move over to my Fritz Box 7490, could anyone tell me what settings I need?

OK that was a bit easier than I thought, can anyone tell me do I need to enable vectoring?
    I've no idea what it is but I did read some where a modem needs to have it enabled for vodafone.

Thats grand I thought it was something I had to enable on my end, afaik the fritzbox 7490 supports it.

• Advertisement

The telnet hack became straight forward as a result of the work of others. I applied an encode/decode hack to the O2 config file and it worked. Then I just added telnet to the decoded default config and encoded the result.

I read your Kitz thread. Seems you have DSLstats working, or it works by default. I suspect your login problem is as a result of the earlier telnet session failing to terminate on the router, i.e. you are still logged in and the next one fails until the first times out. Just a guess. I suggest adding an 'exit <return>' command. I confess I know little about DSLstats.

Yes. There is a python script here. Synthax:

Decrypt a configuration file:
    python hg658c_configtool.py decrypt input_file output_file

Encrypt a configuration file:
    python hg658c_configtool.py encrypt input_file output_file

FYI

Openwrt support is closer, see the latest post in the Openwrt thread for the HG658c,
    https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=273284#p273284

”Hi, I created a basic wiki page for this router, based on the info you posted here
    http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/huawei/hg658bc
    The NAND flash will be supported sooner or later by the Linux kernel for bcm63xx boards. There already are incoming patches for this part. Therefore OpenWrt support for this router is possible. Noltari is working for supporting another bcm63168 router model with a NAND flash chip, the VR-3032u. He already was able to boot an OpenWrt firmware.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭hesker

To be honest, I dont know why anyone would want to use the HG658c for broadband. For ADSL, the HG556a is just fine and has an excellent wifi radio, an Atheros AR9223 as opposed to a Broadcom BCM435f. Lots more through put in real life whatever the link status might say.

For VDSL, the unbranded Eircom F1000 gets excellent broadband sync rates, has a later, superior, version of the BCM435f wifi radio and 5x1Gig ethernet ports (the HG658c has 1x1G and 4x100M).

Just my 2c.

Dermot, would the HG556a have any advantage over the HG658c with VDSL. I have both, the 658c came with my current fibre install while the 556a I have from a previous adsl package. Just wondering if my wifi could be improved if I try to set up the 556a.

hesker wrote: »
    Dermot, would the HG556a have any advantage over the HG658c with VDSL...
    HG556a does not support VDSL.
    Just wondering if my wifi could be improved if I try to set up the 556a.

if you replace the Vodafone firmware, with OpenWRT for example, the HG556a makes an excellent wifi repeater as it has a good wifi radio. The HG556a comes in 3 flavours, the serial number will identify which series you have, see http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/huawei/hg556a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Hi,

I'm just wondering is it possible to remotely access the router if you want to check on the stats etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pigletpetr

Hi, Dermot.

Some time back you posted a few links to a forum where one guy had given a tool to decrypt hg658c configuration. How did he find out keys which were used to sign a configuration file? Do you have that information?

pigletpetr wrote: »
    Hi, Dermot.

Some time back you posted a few links to a forum where one guy had given a tool to decrypt hg658c configuration. How did he find out keys which were used to sign a configuration file? Do you have that information?

I am sorry I somehow missed your post.

Good question. If I recall correctly, the keys were discovered on an Italian site.

The key for telnet was left carelessly lying around on the firmware. You can extract JFFS2 file system and search it. There is also at least one key on the fimrware not accounted for by a .pem file, it may be the private key, I did not spend a lot of time looking at it.

Ok. I see. I also googled a bit. It sounds like configuration keys just leaked (or probably were found and not changed from a previous firmware). I ended up with a script which just invokes urls exposed by this router.

• Advertisement

pigletpetr wrote: »
    Ok. I see. I also googled a bit. It sounds like configuration keys just leaked (or probably were found and not changed from a previous firmware). I ended up with a script which just invokes urls exposed by this router.

Well done. I do not use the HG658c myself but your scripts may be useful to those who do and I would encourage you to publish them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Anyone have a link to the o2 firmware? The o2online site looks to be gone, now that three have taken over.
    Edit: Nvm, just found it here : http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=15303.0

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

your scripts may be useful to those who do and I would encourage you to publish them here.
    A link below contains a script I was talking about.
    h ttps://drive.google.com/open?id=0B55JU7RHUffnMXU0Rld2WWIxYzA&authuser=0

But you will need to install requests and tabulate with pip or easy_install into your python environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

Yeah hadn't spotted that. Something strange there.:confused: Highly unusual that they'd be identical. Can't recall now where I got the B218 file from.
    Will keep searching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Yes. There is a python script here. Synthax:

Decrypt a configuration file:
    python hg658c_configtool.py decrypt input_file output_file

Encrypt a configuration file:
    python hg658c_configtool.py encrypt input_file output_file

I'm using the script to try and decrypt your config file but I'm getting an error "signature not ok.. exiting". Admittedly I'm very green to python, but I'm using version 2.7 and have pycrypto installed. I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong. I tried python 3.4 but couldn't get that to work (hence the file path names)

rFnn5gBm.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,840 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

i dont know whether i should post it here or start another thread but it is hg658c related. I have an external hard drive attached to the usb socket of the vodafone hg658c router and its root folder is showing up as usb1_5 - i wanted to change the name (ie using rename) to something like network drive or backup drive but it wont let me some message about not allowed only allowed to rename files in a folder or something - anyone know a way to change the name from usb1_5 to another name please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,840 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

our ADSL broadband ceased working for a while the other day but I was getting 3G and H+ on my meteor mobile phone so I thought I would try tethering the phone to the HG658c USB router socket

- I selected 'tether usb' on my android (samsung galaxy note 1) and plugged it into the USB socket but nothing, not even the USB light on the router lit up and I went into router setting on laptop and it said 'USB Internet - Disconnected' - I tried a different USB lead still the same

- what else could I be doing wrong or does it only work with a USB Dongle with sim in it only and not phone? Thanks.

Advertisement