Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hg658c

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Itll only work with a USB Modem, not a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ED E wrote: »
    Itll only work with a USB Modem, not a phone.

Ok shame thanks for that - so if I get a meteor usb dongle modem and a meteor sim can I use that on HG658c Router or would it have to be a vodafone usb dongle and sim that I would have to get for it because it all seems to be branded on the setup page as vodafone? also if I worked it with mobile phone and decided to de-activate my vodafone at home ADSL broadband do you reckon they will ask for their HG658c router back? - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

So is the hg658c vetor enabled?

Also, apart from the weak wifi. Is there much point in upgrading to an F1000 or a better router that someone might suggest.

Currently on ADSL2+ but should be VDSL enabled by the end of the month.

I want to make sure I'll be making the most out of my connection.

Ok shame thanks for that - so if I get a meteor usb dongle modem and a meteor sim can I use that on HG658c Router or would it have to be a vodafone usb dongle and sim that I would have to get for it because it all seems to be branded on the setup page as vodafone? also if I worked it with mobile phone and decided to de-activate my vodafone at home ADSL broadband do you reckon they will ask for their HG658c router back? - thanks

It'll work with vodafone cellular kit. To use meteor you'd need to debrand it.

Unless you are a VERY light user that's not a plan you wanna follow through on, usage caps will decimate you.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    So is the hg658c vetor enabled?

Also, apart from the weak wifi. Is there much point in upgrading to an F1000 or a better router that someone might suggest.

Currently on ADSL2+ but should be VDSL enabled by the end of the month.

I want to make sure I'll be making the most out of my connection.

F2000 ticks all the boxes, its a 659b. Both are vectoring compliant. If you go vodafone id get something else for proper wifi, like an Asus 66U.

• Advertisement

F2000 ticks all the boxes, its a 659b. Both are vectoring compliant. If you go vodafone id get something else for proper wifi, like an Asus 66U.

Cheers for the reply.

Is there anywhere to pick up an F2000 apart from adverts?

Currently have a TP-Link N600, would it be on par with the Asus 66u?

Would it be so much better as to warrant upgrading?

(Not worried about wifi right now but it will be good to know)

It'll work with vodafone cellular kit. To use meteor you'd need to debrand it.

Unless you are a VERY light user that's not a plan you wanna follow through on, usage caps will decimate you.

right thanks, its not worth it then - what i might do next time the vodafone ADSL broadband signal is down then and if I want to share meteor 3g from my phone to other computer then is to tether it up to one laptop and then choose 'share internet connection' within windows settings to share it with other computers in the house then if that will work and just use it as a backup for when vodafone broadband goes down

right thanks, its not worth it then - what i might do next time the vodafone ADSL broadband signal is down then and if I want to share meteor 3g from my phone to other computer then is to tether it up to one laptop and then choose 'share internet connection' within windows settings to share it with other computers in the house then if that will work and just use it as a backup for when vodafone broadband goes down

How about picking up a 3g wifi hotspot second hand on adverts or in CeX. That's what I did for a backup for me except I got a vodafone one.

One of these:
    image_large.jpg?1381507554

That way if your DSL goes down you will still have a wifi connection to connect mutiple devices albeit a limited usage cap.

Cheers for the reply.

Is there anywhere to pick up an F2000 apart from adverts?

Currently have a TP-Link N600, would it be on par with the Asus 66u?

Would it be so much better as to warrant upgrading?

(Not worried about wifi right now but it will be good to know)

Nah, they dont seem to sell off the shelf.

N600 is a series more than a model number, assuming you mean WNDR3400/3600 then you're fine, just use it as an access point or bridge at your discretion.

Nah, they dont seem to sell off the shelf.

N600 is a series more than a model number, assuming you mean WNDR3400/3600 then you're fine, just use it as an access point or bridge at your discretion.

Ah my bad. The TL-WDR3600 I have with Open WRT.

Should be good so? Cool :cool:

• Advertisement

Apologies for all the questions.

I can place my router right beside my master socket no problem.

Would it be best then to use a short, say 0.5m RJ11 to RJ11 cat 5 or what would you suggest?

Hoping to pick something up tomorrow in Waterford city but can order online if not.

Apologies for all the questions.

I can place my router right beside my master socket no problem.

Would it be best then to use a short, say 0.5m RJ11 to RJ11 cat 5 or what would you suggest?

Hoping to pick something up tomorrow in Waterford city but can order online if not.

Adsl it doesnt matter hugely, cat5 terminated in RJ11 is ideal but decent phone cable will do 98% as well.

When it goes to VDSL you'll have to use their modem at the master anyways, then you can run ethernet to the TP wherever you want it.

BTW, in the off chance you're right beside a cab, the vodafone modem will limit you to 85-90Mb on a 100Mb sync.

Line standard ADSL2+
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 15357
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 766
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 27552
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 1189
    Downstream SNR (dB) 11.3
    Upstream SNR (dB) 17.7
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.5
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 8.5
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 18.1
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 12.1

Does this mean Vodafone is holding my connection back or is that just the max my exchange can handle? As in, if I was right beside the exchange I'd get that?

I was getting 17,500 or so but past few days it's down to 15,300 even after power cycling modem after a few mins disconnection.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

Hopefully someone can answer this

I just got a vdsl upgrade from Vodafone and have the hg658c router I also have a block of 8 ip addresses

First question

Can I set the router/modem up as just a router with no nat getting my first ip from the block and then using the lan ports to route the other public ip addresses

Second question

Can I use a Cisco 887 in place of the hg658c with Vodafone's link and would anyone have a sample config

Thanks

Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.5
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 8.5

I brought my downstream attenuation from 14.5 down to 13

and my upstream line attenuation down from 8.5 to 7.7 by just using a shorter, better quality cable between my master socket and modem.

Not bad at all I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Hi does anyone have the o2 firmware? It's gone from the o2 website.

I used the O2 update bin file today - everything seem to go OK. But when it finished firmware upgrade it still has Vodafone branding even though I can now enter more settings so I performed Factory Reset settings by going to maintenance thenn 'device' then restore default settings and it still has vodafone branding at top of router settings page not Huawei - does it have to be hard reset instead of through the router page?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cathalryan

Hi
    Can anybody tell me if its poss to connect an external hard drive to a Huawei 658c modem/router? I'd like to have remote access to my hard drive.
    If it is possible - how do I do it. (I'm not a techie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BMW318

can someone PM me firmware from O2 website ! please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭bakerlite

BMW318 wrote: »
    can someone PM me firmware from O2 website ! please :)

Same as that ! Does anyone know where an unlocked firmware is available .?

• Advertisement

just found this website tonight

https://hg658c.wordpress.com/

and the clever thing is that if you put

'superuser' as the username

and use 'HG-658c_VF_ie*' as password

it opens up a hell of a lot more settings that you can adjust on this router

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭nc6000

Can anyone suggest how I can get my Belkin N300 Wi-Fi Extender to work properly with the HG659c from Vodafone? The extender was working fine with my Netgear N600 router previously.

I've done a factory reset on the extender and gone through the setup again and all appears OK but when I move the extender back upstairs the devices still try and connect to the HG659c even though it is further away and the signal is weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

nc6000 wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest how I can get my Belkin N300 Wi-Fi Extender to work properly with the HG659c from Vodafone? The extender was working fine with my Netgear N600 router previously.

I've done a factory reset on the extender and gone through the setup again and all appears OK but when I move the extender back upstairs the devices still try and connect to the HG659c even though it is further away and the signal is weaker.

you sure your not moving the extender out of the range of the vodafone router.

irishgeo wrote: »
    you sure your not moving the extender out of the range of the vodafone router.

I got it sorted thanks. Not sure what the issue was but once I did a forget network from within Android and added the network again it worked fine.

For some reason my Android phone & tablet both ignored the Belkin extender and kept going back to the Vodafone router.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 masterofp

Hi Everyone!

Would anybody still have the unbranded firmware for the modem? All the links out there seem to be dead.

Thanks.

*Update* Found it, thanks. I'll post a copy if someone else is looking for this.

https://mega.nz/#!kQhAgbzD!ZNcFRAf79L1seoWPfnNf77-E4-2i9RfxxuLY3wdl53g

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Not sure if this is the right thread, but thought I'd ask here first.

I've the hg658c

I'll be looking to set a smart tv to connect via VPN - I understand there are capabilities to adjust the DNS settings on the TV, but I don't think there's a way of logging in to a VPN service..

It's really only the tv and another android box I want to connect via VPN, and I don't think the hg658c has that kind (or any kind) of vpn set up..

My thinking was a router that I connect to the 658c, that has the TV and android box connected to it, and that router's settings configured for the VPN, with the rest of my devices just connecting to the 658c as usual, wirelessly or by ethernet

Is this even possible?

Thanks for any advice

I got it sorted thanks. Not sure what the issue was but once I did a forget network from within Android and added the network again it worked fine.

For some reason my Android phone & tablet both ignored the Belkin extender and kept going back to the Vodafone router.

Actually this didn't solve the issue at all. I thought it had but it actually hadn't.

Has anyone any idea what the issue could be?

Actually this didn't solve the issue at all. I thought it had but it actually hadn't.

Has anyone any idea what the issue could be?

Most likely the repeater losing link thus clients are marking it bad.

Bin the belkin and go and get a pair of homeplugs with wifi (in one). 10x better setup.

It was working just fine in the same spot before I changed router to the Vodafone one.

Even if I stand right beside the extender my phone looks to connect back to the router and ignores the extender.

• Advertisement

I'm using my HG658C in ppoe Bridged mode now and using the WAN socket , so I am not using it as a ADSL Modem Router any more, but just as a WAN Router. so I had to bind SSD1 for it to work .. but now I have done that , now when I want to log onto the HG658C configuration page 192.168.1.1 by Wi-Fi through chrome its having none of it and the only way I can get to configuration page no is by linking Lan1 socket and Ethernet on my laptop. Bit of a pain because I like to get configurations by wi-fi ... does anyone know how to sucessfully use this device in bridge mode but still get to configuration by wi-fi and not hard wired to ethernet please?

Advertisement