Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for Rural Wexford?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 msq

Their terms and conditions say they offer the service on an 'as-is' basis.

Based on my GPS coordinates Wicklow Broadband was able to provide me with available connection parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

msq wrote: »
    I had and still have my own router. The only hardware i got from them when the connection was set up is a little directional outdoor antenna. Something like this one
    http://www.i4wifi.eu/out/pictures/z1/rbsxt2ndr2_z1.jpg

It is powered from inside of my house and the output I have is a simple RJ45 that I can plug into my router.

Does the router have to be Wan, DSL or ADSL?

Does the router have to be Wan, DSL or ADSL?

You don't need a DSL or ADSL modem. It is a regular WAN line. The router I have is Asus RT-AC68U and it is really worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

Regional broadband have unlimited but speeds seem slow & there's so little feedback about them, not taking chance;........that's my problem! I can't get any customer feedback on-line so I'm reluctant to go with them. If anyone out there has recent experience of 'regional broadband' please let me know...Thanks

I'm on 9/2 domestic package. I'm working from home so my biggest concern is the real speed during office hours. And that is most of the time really 9 down 2 up.
    I assume by peak hours you mean afternoons and weekends. Usually no problem watching netflix or youtube without hiccups.

Tried to get Wicklow Broadband but signal wasn't strong enough. By pure chance came across a new Company based in North Wexford called whizzyinternet.ie. So signed up for 10/2 unlimited package for 35E a month. So far excellent.

• Advertisement

a new Company based in North Wexford called whizzyinternet.ie. So signed up for 10/2 unlimited package for 35E a month. So far excellent.

Thank you, that seems to be a very good offer. I will give them a call.

Tried to get Wicklow Broadband but signal wasn't strong enough. By pure chance came across a new Company based in North Wexford called whizzyinternet.ie. So signed up for 10/2 unlimited package for 35E a month. So far excellent.

Thank you once again! I gave up permanet and now have Wicklow Broadband and Whizzy set in load balance on my router. Very good service, and very good offer. Highly recommended!

4567068026.png

Started off great but getting some contention issues at peak times so a bit so-so for me.

Started off great but getting some contention issues at peak times so a bit so-so for me.

Yeah - noticed that weekends are really crappy. Think will have to script my loadbalancer to swap between whizzy and wicklow broadband for weekends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Braytek

How bad does it get Big Wex fan\msq? We are currently with regional and they are awful with no weekend support and connection going down quite often. We are thinking of trying whizzy or wicklow But unsure who as quite a few of us in the house playing games online and watching netflix so need good speed as well as latency. Which do you recommend?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Braytek wrote: »
    How bad does it get Big Wex fan\msq? We are currently with regional and they are awful with no weekend support and connection going down quite often. We are thinking of trying whizzy or wicklow But unsure who as quite a few of us in the house playing games online and watching netflix so need good speed as well as latency. Which do you recommend?

Thanks

I'm with wicklow broadband for a while, and - additionally - with whizzy for last couple of weeks.

Have to say I'm very happy with WB service stability and support responsiveness. All service issues (not too many) were addressed in reasonable time and manner.
    Unles I'm downloading something bigger the peak time slowdown are rarely affecting my experience.
    The cons IMHO is at the moment they're a bit more expensive compared with Whizzy and - at least in my area - cannot offer speed above 10MB. It should improve towards the end of this year I've been told. Overall - solid, stable supplier.

With whizzy I'm not long enough to have too much to say. At this stage they're cheaper than WB and I can get better speed. During peak times however the speed is going down. I have formally 15MB down and 3MB up and that is what I really have during so called office hours. Now, on Sunday afternoon it looks like this:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4569425608.png
    http://i.imgur.com/ceqDSd0.png

As I'm working from home I have two ISPs and I got it set up as a load balance mode on my home router. Works for me very well. I'm in north Co.Wexford, west from M11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I'm in north Co.Wexford, west from M11.

Sounds like you are in a similar area to me msq. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with Whizzy as I was thinking of changing to them in Jan when my Eircom contract is up. 4km from the nearest exchange so lucky to get 3mb off them.

Were you tempted to go for the 15mb up and down with whizzy? Do they give you a static IP?

I must look into WB at the end of the year to. If they get better as they have told you, they might be worth a punt.

Braytek wrote: »

Thanks

Whizzy are a local crew & only starting out so they'll respond quickly & helpful. Don't think there's a minimum contract.
    I think a few customers on my mast are streaming sports causing contention issues for me during games. At moment it's perfect. 4571799820.png

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mickcorb

just a warning about the service I have had permanet broadband and was happy enough until it broke in the last month I have rang there help lines on numerous occasions all you will get is there answering machines they have sent out 3 different modems to fix the problem 2 of them were the wrong type you would think they would check to see what type of modem you have and to top it all of they emailed me today to say they will send out a forth modem so I told them to keep it come tomorrow morning I will be changing my supplier as for recommending permanet never you have been warned im in enniscorthy area

Advertisement