Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for Rural Wexford?

Options
  • 01-11-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Anyone know of a provider that has coverage in Wexford area. Between New Ross and Enniscorthy preferably. Can't get UPC or Eircom or any of the standard providers and mobile mid band is costing a fortune. Want it for gaming etc..

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PeterB11

Anyone try these?

http://digiweb.ie/home/tooway/
    Anyone have any ping/speed tests from any of their services?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

PeterB11 wrote: »
    Anyone know of a provider that has coverage in Wexford area. Between New Ross and Enniscorthy preferably. Can't get UPC or Eircom or any of the standard providers and mobile mid band is costing a fortune. Want it for gaming etc..

Cheers

http://www.rocketbroadband.ie/

stay away from all satellite providers it's not really broadband and is useless for most gaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Anyone try these?

http://digiweb.ie/home/tooway/
    Anyone have any ping/speed tests from any of their services?

Thanks

Typical ping on satellite would be in the order of 1000-2000ms, so absolutely no good for gaming. Fixed wireless is your only hope, though there is very little in that area of Wexford.

Are you sure about no DSL? All the exchanges in Wexford are now done, except Adamstown (which is never going to be done).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bealtine wrote: »

stay away from all satellite providers it's not really broadband and is useless for most gaming

Stay away from rocket,getting very bad rep in Wexford.

Try Permanet,I've had them for over 3 years with no problems,only changed cos I got a good deal on Vodafone fixed line.

Other option would be Ripplecom.

bealtine wrote: »

Is their broadband good? for xbox live etc.. ?? EDIT: They don't cover my area :/
    jor el wrote: »
    Typical ping on satellite would be in the order of 1000-2000ms, so absolutely no good for gaming. Fixed wireless is your only hope, though there is very little in that area of Wexford.

Are you sure about no DSL? All the exchanges in Wexford are now done, except Adamstown (which is never going to be done).

Yeah. Checked the Eircom site coverage map and the exchanges have been done but i'm in one part where it doesnt actually cover :mad: they also said i cant get it here!! its a joke tbh...

Thanks for the replies

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Stay away from rocket,getting very bad rep in Wexford.

Try Permanet,I've had them for over 3 years with no problems,only changed cos I got a good deal on Vodafone fixed line.

Other option would be Ripplecom.

What are permanet like for gaming online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Hector Salamanca

What are permanet like for gaming online?

1568087721.png

sometimes I get a ping of 10-15ms works very well playing cod etc

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

Which package have you got with them Salamanca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Traffic quotas on Permanet look pants though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TheMadMan697

Permanet are very good for gaming. Ping times are very low for me. My only complaint at the moment is there download caps are too low. I never had problems before but last month they without any warning throttled my download for 2 weeks I then installed a bandwidth monitor and just this month asked them what my usage was for the month so i could compare to my results. They told me the information was not available. I am really disappointed with them because of this at the moment. Support is great if you talk to the right guy otherwise complete rubbish. At least thats my experiance.

Here is a speedtest
    1570281984.png
    and pingtest
    49814266.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Hector Salamanca

Dannyboi3k wrote: »
    Which package have you got with them Salamanca

4Mb down and 512kbps up

Its usually good but on a friday/saturday evening it slows to around 3mbps

Its pricey but I don't mind because mobile midband is my only other option and having been with three before its crap and three are coyboys imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Try these. http://www.ripplecom.net/

Wicklow Broadband also cover Wexford. http://www.wicklowbroadband.com/coverage.html

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

also in a place where broadband is hard to get, don't know if i can get permanet but worth looking into..

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

Where exactly are you, Dannyboi3k and PeterB11?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

www.carnsorebroadband.com

These guys cover a lot of areas in wexford that other ISP's don't.

Broadband is €30 per month for 15mb down, 2mb up. Broadband and Phone (unlimited landline calls to Ireland and UK) is €45. No download restrictions - download as much as you want. No contracts, first month is free.

A list of areas they cover, taken from the website:

Wexford Town & Surrounds, Clonard, Whiterock, Castlebridge, Ardcavan, Mayglass, Bridgetown, Kilmore, Kilmore Quay, Lady’s Island, Carne, Rosslare Strand, Rosslare Harbour, Piercestown, Murrintown, Broadway, Ferrycarrig, Kilrane, Killinick, Tacumshin, Tomhaggard, Bannow Bay, Duncormick.
    If your area is not on this list but you live near these areas or anywhere between Castlebridge and Bannow Bay call us to book a free survey on 053 910 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jcbh

hi there - 2-3 year on from the last post what provider do people recommend in 2013. I am currently with Eircom. 3mb connection which is a joke in this day and age. Are Rocket still getting bad reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gingeralien

The low down form my experience :
    Skytel or Rocket (same company) : are a no go ! web browsing at peek time's only ( had last year for 3 months)
    Carnsore broadband : good for all except FPS games ( who I am with now )
    PermaNet : good for all but cant remember what FPS game's were like ( thinking of moving back to them for FPS games )
    Eircom . : Rock solid for every thing ( slow speeds 1.77 down .256 up ) (cant go back to eircom .If I reconnected now it will only be a carrier line ) ( no broadband ))

I'am here looking to see what permanent is like for FPS game's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

jcbh wrote: »
    hi there - 2-3 year on from the last post what provider do people recommend in 2013. I am currently with Eircom. 3mb connection which is a joke in this day and age. Are Rocket still getting bad reviews?
    Skytel/rocket avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I'am here looking to see what permanent is like for FPS game's

I am going by Traceroutes i did on my cousins broadband in Wexford. I reckon for UK server pings, you are looking at between 80ms - 160ms, with the odd droput here and there. I would not like to have to FPS game on fixed wireless personally.

Having said that i really cannot fault them for non ping senstitive web activities. Constant 6Mb speeds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gingeralien

If you could do a www.pingtest.net to Milton Keynes at peek time 8/9 in the evening
    I would appreciate it. . thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

If you could do a www.pingtest.net to Milton Keynes at peek time 8/9 in the evening
    I would appreciate it. . thanks.

I am not actually in Wexford gingeralien. I just go over there a few times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

I know the last comment on this thread is nearly 2 years but looks like nothing has changed much especially in North Wexford.
    I'm with Meteor 3G - getting 50G for 25E a month which i think they don't offer anymore & service is ok. But with teenagers here this is becoming limited so ideally would want unlimited.
    From what I can see:
    Permanet haven't updated their allowance;
    Regional broadband have unlimited but speeds seem slow & there's so little feedback about them, not taking chance;
    Wicklow broadband haven't updated their allowance;
    4G allowances are low.
    Carnsore broadband limited to South Wexford.
    Not in fiber area and Satellite ping too slow for gaming & allowance limited.
    Alpha broadband don't advertise their cost but looks expensive.
    I hoping someone has heard something & will post up some Good news of some up and coming Service on the way at a decent price but not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 msq

Wicklow Broadband got no data caps. This is my basic ISP for last 18 months and I have to say I'm happy with the service.

msq wrote: »
    Wicklow Broadband got no data caps. This is my basic ISP for last 18 months and I have to say I'm happy with the service.

I missed that, thought they had caps still. Which speed are you on? what's the actual speeds particularly at peak times?
    Would prefer the 3ms price but would consider stretching to the 7ms if meant getting 2+ speeds at peak times

I'm on 9/2 domestic package. I'm working from home so my biggest concern is the real speed during office hours. And that is most of the time really 9 down 2 up.
    I assume by peak hours you mean afternoons and weekends. Usually no problem watching netflix or youtube without hiccups.

I'm on 9/2 domestic package. I'm working from home so my biggest concern is the real speed during office hours. And that is most of the time really 9 down 2 up.
    I assume by peak hours you mean afternoons and weekends. Usually no problem watching netflix or youtube without hiccups.

Ya, can get up to 5 MS on meteor in the morning but down to 1 in evenings & weekends. And that's not bad compared to when I was with Three. A reliable service would be great. But hard to tell from Wicklow's coverage map if I'm covered. Anyway I've shot off a mail with my co-ords, hopefully they'll tell me if I'm covered.

I got vodafone here and I can see their mast from my window. Got voda 4G with 16MB down or so.
    yeah, give them a shout and you'll see what they'll say. Good luck!

What router do you have? Wicklow charging 60 to 100 for their router along with conection fee. Website faq mentions a TP-LINK TL-WR340G. Checked on Amazon, I can get this for half that price or updated model for same price with much higher wifi speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

I'm considering signing up to regional broadband I'm in west wicklow but I cannot get any existing customer information on the quality and average speed they offer on their website. Their terms and conditions say they offer the service on an 'as-is' basis. So if I sign up to a 4mb service I may only get 1mb download speed but still pay for 4mb. Am I reading that correctly?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

What router do you have? Wicklow charging 60 to 100 for their router along with conection fee.

I had and still have my own router. The only hardware i got from them when the connection was set up is a little directional outdoor antenna. Something like this one
    http://www.i4wifi.eu/out/pictures/z1/rbsxt2ndr2_z1.jpg

It is powered from inside of my house and the output I have is a simple RJ45 that I can plug into my router.

Advertisement